This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does updating your BIOS do anything negative to your computer?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does updating your BIOS do anything negative to your computer?

User Info: EliteGuard99

EliteGuard99
1 month ago#1
Like deleting data or such?
"Sessions is like what would happen if a really sheltered home school kid did the fusion dance with everyone's racist thanksgiving uncle" - D_Bart

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 month ago#2
It won't touch data on your hard disk. It would only affect your motherboard. As for whether it does anything bad... Well, it's not SUPPOSED to. But there are risks involved with any such update. Power could go out mid-flash and then your BIOS is hosed unless your board supports two.

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
1 month ago#3
If everything goes smoothly, worst case, it just resets any settings you've done on your motherboard that aren't default
Now Playing
Zelda BOTW Master Mode (Switch), Tales of Berseria (PC), Witcher 3 (PC)

User Info: Silvererazor

Silvererazor
1 month ago#4
But most modern motherboards have some kind of way to protect your board from bricking. Before you update look up what you would have to do to restore your bios, because every manufactorer has a different way of doing it.

EliteGuard99
1 month ago#5
Oh ok thank you, I bought a more powerful i7 4790K (upgrading from i5-4670K), and PCPartpicker said I may need to upgrade my BIOS and I was worried because I'd never done that before.

Thanks guys.
"Sessions is like what would happen if a really sheltered home school kid did the fusion dance with everyone's racist thanksgiving uncle" - D_Bart

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#6
The worst thing I've had happen as result of a BIOS upgrade was that I had to change all the settings from default back to the way I had it (including stuff like boot order and so on). I also tend to favor Gigabyte motherboards for the simple fact that I think all of them have a dual BIOS meaning if a flash goes bad, I can depend on the backup. I've never had a flash go bad though.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

EliteGuard99
1 month ago#7
arleas posted...
The worst thing I've had happen as result of a BIOS upgrade was that I had to change all the settings from default back to the way I had it (including stuff like boot order and so on). I also tend to favor Gigabyte motherboards for the simple fact that I think all of them have a dual BIOS meaning if a flash goes bad, I can depend on the backup. I've never had a flash go bad though.

I too use a Gigabyte motherboard with a dual BIOS so that's great news for me.

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
1 month ago#8
Do not update your bios unless you absolutely have to (99% of the time this is for hardware compatibility)

The worst case scenario, though very unlikely due to dual-bios systems now, is bricking it. The term brick means your motherboard will be as useful as a brick (it's dead).

I think updating bios always resets settings though? I've always had to write down my OC settings and re-enter them.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
1 month ago#9
If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: RyanEsau

RyanEsau
1 month ago#10
I've updated mine a couple times (staying up to date on everything) and had no ill effects.

Only thing is, it resets my BIOS settings so I have to redo everything each update.
PSN: RyanEsau | https://psnprofiles.com/RyanEsau
PC: i7-6700K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sgt.Soldier/saved/FsQK8d
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Does updating your BIOS do anything negative to your computer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived