This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so Steam is a corrupt monopoly to some PC devs and gamers?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. so Steam is a corrupt monopoly to some PC devs and gamers?

User Info: Vindris_SNH

Vindris_SNH
1 month ago#21
Whatever deals developers and publishers made with Steam is on them. As an application used to easily purchase games and connect with friends while playing games, Steam is fantastic. I quite frankly don't give a rat's ass about what goes on behind the scenes. I care about the product I receive, and I am satisfied.
glitteringfairy: Just build the damn wall
ThyCorndog: and how exactly will that stop the mexican space program from orbital dropping illegal immigrants?

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#22
enderall posted...
It's Xenny again. How much is the salary of a professional Internet Social Media troll in the US?

120k/year, it really shot up with trump
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: nathanvosgerau

nathanvosgerau
1 month ago#23
DarkZV2Beta posted...
vlado_e posted...
Lienhart posted...
They also missed the fact that the industry average is 30%.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that if you want to sell your game in a physical store, they take about as much anyway.

I do see that figure brought up again and again against Steam and it still boggles my mind - do people think that developers get ALL the money if they sell elsewhere? Sure, that might be the case for a small studio selling a game through their own website but if you're going through a publisher then they take a cut as well as whatever location you sell it through does. I haven't seen exact figures but I'd be really surprised if developers get way more than 70% in those cases.

Yeah, IIRC, normally, the store takes 30%, and then distribution overhead is about 30%, with only 40% going to the publisher. It's why digital storefronts are such a big deal.

I worked in the warehouse for a games Distributor here in Australia for about 5 years, They get the games at around $60, and then sell them onto stores at $70-$80 then stores sell them at $90-$120.
Unless it is Nintendo, they make sure the Distributors only make at most 5% on the sale of any of their products, then they go to the stores and sell directly to them as well.
Latest Get: http://imgur.com/i8dptcv
MAL: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Vosgy?status=7

User Info: ElitestTank

ElitestTank
1 month ago#24
Too bad steam wasn't able to get 30% cuts on all those Lingerie Football League game sales.

User Info: good_mangorush

good_mangorush
1 month ago#25
I'd rather deal with this "corrupt" Steam than use GFWL and other crappy services from M$.
The Truth Has Set Me Free!

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
1 month ago#26
ElitestTank posted...
Too bad steam wasn't able to get 30% cuts on all those Lingerie Football League game sales.

L O L!

TC just got rekt.
i7 7700K|EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition|Corsair Vengeance 16GB|960 EVO 1TB|850 EVO 1TB|840 EVO 500GB|EVGA G3 750w|NZXT H440|ASUS SWIFT PG278Q 27"

User Info: KaiRyusaki

KaiRyusaki
1 month ago#27
Tim Sweeney's been saying crazy stuff about Windows and Steam for a long time now, a lot of them are "crazy" stupid.

But I do agree with him on this one. I assume Steam does 30% because that's what every retailer does, but since Steam practically has a monopoly, why not lower it and try to convince EA to kill origin.

User Info: Cruzader619

Cruzader619
1 month ago#28
Steam has gone so big since the PC Master Race can't stop sucking Gabe's dick
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."

User Info: CrestedTax

CrestedTax
1 month ago#29
It's funny how every succesful business is treated as corrupt and greedy solely based on the fact that they are successful. Maybe, just maybe, these companies have obtained a significant portion of the market because they were able to offer a better service than the competition.
FC: 5172-3452-9992 Kaurus

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
1 month ago#30
CrestedTax posted...
It's funny how every succesful business is treated as corrupt and greedy solely based on the fact that they are successful. Maybe, just maybe, these companies have obtained a significant portion of the market because they were able to offer a better service than the competition.

Agreed to an extent. I mean many large corps are corrupt due to their monopolies in their market. But makes you wonder why so many people want companies to suffer or do poorly.. One day I would like to open my own business as I am a general manager for a corporation and have the experience.. But if or when my business becomes successful I think it will bring out "haters" that are just upset they don't have what I worked so hard to build. A successful business deserves credit if the majority of consumers are happy with its service.

I have nothing against MS or Steam and respect their success and am thankful we do have these companies. Without Steam who knows where PC gaming would be today..
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. so Steam is a corrupt monopoly to some PC devs and gamers?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived