This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would PC gaming be like without Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What would PC gaming be like without Steam?

User Info: Jar_Jar

Jar_Jar
3 months ago#1
This, is a question to ponder for the ages.

User Info: linkin80

linkin80
3 months ago#2
Jar_Jar posted...
This, is a question to ponder for the ages.

Like it was prior to steam.

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
3 months ago#3
Probably less booty shots from korean mmo.

User Info: Unknown280

Unknown280
3 months ago#4
I'd imagine pretty boring and would probably kept me from being a PC gamer, Steam change everything and kept me from being a console gamer so far if that makes sense.

User Info: CommonGrackle

CommonGrackle
3 months ago#5
Steam got me in to PC gaming. Before then I just farted around with Battlefield 1942 for years and years. And I hate discs.
globalist

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
3 months ago#6
http://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaltrends-uploads-prod/2016/12/SuperData-Year-in-Review-1.png

How much of that do you think is Steam? I'm gonna say a significant amount.

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
3 months ago#7
Well, we'd certainly have Valve still making games, for one.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#8
Probably be using Stardock's client, which predated Steam by a good bit, or any of the clients that came afterwards from any number of companies. Steam did nothing particularly special aside from having leverage at the right time.
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
3 months ago#9
It would be exactly the same as it is now, except Microsoft would be the one in charge, not Valve.

MS should be completely embarrassed that some other company was able to come in and control the PC digital distribution landscape.

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
3 months ago#10
GoIrish80 posted...
It would be exactly the same as it is now, except Microsoft would be the one in charge, not Valve.

MS should be completely embarrassed that some other company was able to come in and control the PC digital distribution landscape.

M$ never seriously got into the gaming industry until way later. And even then, M$'s gaming division is like Honda's motorcycle division...it's some guy's toy that may or may not profitable but the parent company doesn't give too big of a s*** because there are many other profitable products going on in other divisions.

.......Sony, on the other hand.....I hope they get their s*** together because gaming is a huge part of their business.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What would PC gaming be like without Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived