This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would PC gaming be like without Steam?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What would PC gaming be like without Steam?

User Info: Dredj

Dredj
3 months ago#11
GoIrish80 posted...
It would be exactly the same as it is now, except Microsoft would be the one in charge, not Valve.

MS should be completely embarrassed that some other company was able to come in and control the PC digital distribution landscape.

This is the most likely scenario, GFWL would be in Steams place.

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 months ago#12
You'd have to browse to specific sites to download your games and would possibly have to manually update them.

I really think GoG has done it right, giving an OPTIONAL client you can use to manage your games. I just wish they had the selection that Steam has.
Hey, how come my two cents is only worth like a half a cent?

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#13
Dredj posted...
GoIrish80 posted...
It would be exactly the same as it is now, except Microsoft would be the one in charge, not Valve.

MS should be completely embarrassed that some other company was able to come in and control the PC digital distribution landscape.

This is the most likely scenario, GFWL would be in Steams place.

By the time GWFL existed it was far too late. I guarantee you that'd be the case with or without Steam existing.
Reality is so flexible these days, its hard to tell whos disconnected from it and who isnt. You might even say its a pointless distinction.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
3 months ago#14
Better
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | Palit GTX 1080 OC @2GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | HyperX SSD | 28" Acer 4K
Actively Playing: Splatoon 2 | Quake Champions | D&D Online

User Info: Freelance_Wolf

Freelance_Wolf
3 months ago#15
Better. I've been a PC Gamer far longer than Steam's existence. Nothing would have changed for me. Steam didn't make me a PC gamer.

User Info: Crysiania

Crysiania
3 months ago#16
It would be a lot less convenient.

That's about it.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 months ago#17
linkin80 posted...
Jar_Jar posted...
This, is a question to ponder for the ages.

Like it was prior to steam.

So, s***.

User Info: DXMG

DXMG
3 months ago#18
kobalobasileus posted...
linkin80 posted...
Jar_Jar posted...

So, s***.

Depends on your perspective. When Steam started, the only reason anyone installed it was that it was required for Half Life 2, and the great majority of PC gamers hated it. Most greatly preffered the "old" way of buying a game, installing it(all from the disc even!) and then playing it without extra s*** running, without signing in to any accounts, without bulls*** DRM stepping all over it, etc.

It was also much easier to seperate the wheat from the chaff back then, since most of the idiots you see on here today wouldn't have been smart enough to run games properly without a handholding client to wipe their ass for them.

User Info: VanderZoo

VanderZoo
3 months ago#19
I think there would be more piracy.
"He lost the popular vote by a lot and won the election. We should have a revolution in this country!" - Donald J. Trump

User Info: Heisenberg312

Heisenberg312
3 months ago#20
DXMG posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
linkin80 posted...
Jar_Jar posted...

So, s***.

Depends on your perspective. When Steam started, the only reason anyone installed it was that it was required for Half Life 2, and the great majority of PC gamers hated it. Most greatly preffered the "old" way of buying a game, installing it(all from the disc even!) and then playing it without extra s*** running, without signing in to any accounts, without bulls*** DRM stepping all over it, etc.

It was also much easier to seperate the wheat from the chaff back then, since most of the idiots you see on here today wouldn't have been smart enough to run games properly without a handholding client to wipe their ass for them.

"I remember the days when you had to work to get your games to run! Bah, you kids have it easy!"
Now, say my name.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What would PC gaming be like without Steam?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived