This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you buy 4K Blu-ray drives and Dolby Atmos soundcards for a desktop PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you buy 4K Blu-ray drives and Dolby Atmos soundcards for a desktop PC?

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
1 month ago#1
If so can anyone recommend any?

User Info: bikeblaster

bikeblaster
1 month ago#2
Yes and I don't know.

Dolby Atmos is a paid software in the Windows store though.

User Info: Abiz_

Abiz_
1 month ago#3
bikeblaster posted...
Yes and I don't know.

Dolby Atmos is a paid software in the Windows store though.

It is? It's free for me for some reason. Is it because I'm on Win 10 pro?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#4
You need PowerDVD 17 to play 4K UHDs. It does support Dolby Atmos, though I expect you'd need a compatible receiver and a crazy speaker setup for it to really matter.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

Abiz_
1 month ago#5
The cranky hermit posted...
crazy speaker setup for it to really matter.

Naw, 5.1.2 isn't that crazy. Atmos receivers are pretty affordable now a days.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
1 month ago#6
Last I checked, the hardware is available for 4K blurays but the software is questionable. Dolby Atmos is the opposite, where Windows has built-in software support for it but I have no idea about hardware support. I'm guessing you'd have to plug your PC into an AV receiver that supports Atmos rather than a PCI/PCIe-based soundcard that you can just plug a s***load of speakers into.
Now Playing: GG Xrd Rev 2, GRIP, Redout
Now, let's count up your sins! | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DrPtkT
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#7
I'm kind of unclear on what "Dolby Atmos" software actually does. For movies and TV shows with Atmos sound, why would you need more software? The sound is already in Atmos format. You should be able to just bitstream it to your receiver.

For games, I'm guessing the game itself needs to support Atmos, but the game can't encode directly to Atmos format, so it uses the Atmos software to do that. Just a guess, but I can't imagine how else it would work and still need separate software.

Abiz_
1 month ago#8
The cranky hermit posted...
The sound is already in Atmos format. You should be able to just bitstream it to your receiver.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Window doesn't have a 5.1.2 setting, but you would think putting windows in 7.1 and making it so it just sends the data. That the receiver would do all the work. I believe FF15 is going to be the first game that supports Atmos on pc. I guess we will see once that comes out.

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
1 month ago#9
Can anyone recommend good 4K Bluray drives and very good PCI-E soundcards?
The cranky hermit 1 month ago#10
Abiz_ posted...
Window doesn't have a 5.1.2 setting, but you would think putting windows in 7.1 and making it so it just sends the data.

When you bitstream in a compressed format, it doesn't even matter what mode Windows is set to. I can set Windows to stereo mode, and PowerDVD still outputs DTS-HD MA 7.1 to the receiver just fine.

The fact that Windows lacks an uncompressed 5.1.2 mode makes me believe that bitstreaming is the only way you can get Atmos to the receiver.

ArcadeGuy posted...
Can anyone recommend good 4K Bluray drives and very good PCI-E soundcards?

You probably DON'T want a PCI-E soundcard. If Atmos sound in movies works anything like DTS or Dolby Digital, then you're just going to want to use HDMI passthrough without having any sound card involved.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can you buy 4K Blu-ray drives and Dolby Atmos soundcards for a desktop PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived