This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best cheap Power supply and GPU upgrade that I can get in a store?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best cheap Power supply and GPU upgrade that I can get in a store?

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
1 month ago#21
ImmortalityV posted...
MASKOAAA posted...
you can get like a 1050 2gb edition and 400watt power supply from best buy....not worth it though imo

Why would it not be worth it? Is there something wrong with it? I am not looking to bust out ultra settings or anything. It is just in raids I drop to like 12- freezing FPS and getting booted out of LFR. I am a casual.

Raiding performance is mainly dependant on your CPU and connection, if you're using an ancient CPU, a GPU upgrade prob won't improve your raiding FPS much. *edit* - yeah, that old, slow AMD CPU is why you're getting low FPS in raids, I honestly wouldn't invest in a new GPU expecting a dramatic difference in raids.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#22
Zangato posted...
Friendly advice. Never cheap out on PSU. Its your pc's heart. Unless you want it to fail and take GPU or Motherboard with it.

As a general rule, never trust offbrand PSUs. Stick with known, reputable brands like EVGA, MSI, or Cooler Master. As for wattage, Cooler Master's PSU calculator (Link here: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ ) recommends using a PSU 50 watts above what your rig actually uses.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: diligan

diligan
1 month ago#23
Why would you skimp on the power supply? I'm not saying to go with a full on modular, rgb led psu, but a cheap chinese or korean unit could blow out in 2~ 3 years taking your components w/ it. A well built power supply should outlast any other component you purchase.
The number that is not the limit of any computable sequence.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#24
HeliosMagi posted...
Zangato posted...
Friendly advice. Never cheap out on PSU. Its your pc's heart. Unless you want it to fail and take GPU or Motherboard with it.

As a general rule, never trust offbrand PSUs. Stick with known, reputable brands like EVGA, MSI, or Cooler Master. As for wattage, Cooler Master's PSU calculator (Link here: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ ) recommends using a PSU 50 watts above what your rig actually uses.

I've never even heard of MSI PSUs until this post.
EVGA and CM are hit or miss, some of CM's units are actually pretty awful.

As a general rule for PSUs, the name brand you're looking at probably has no relation to the PSU it's self. Instead, investigate the OEM and, if possible, the platform it's based on. Most PSUs are based on a particular OEM's series, and are just relabeled to the satisfaction of the brand.
For example, most of SeaSonic PSUs are top tier, CWT is generally good, Delta has a very solid reputation, Superflower made some great Gold rated stuff back in the day.
Also, if you're lost, ask Shub.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: ImmortalityV

ImmortalityV
1 month ago#25
JKatarn posted...
ImmortalityV posted...
MASKOAAA posted...
you can get like a 1050 2gb edition and 400watt power supply from best buy....not worth it though imo

Why would it not be worth it? Is there something wrong with it? I am not looking to bust out ultra settings or anything. It is just in raids I drop to like 12- freezing FPS and getting booted out of LFR. I am a casual.

Raiding performance is mainly dependant on your CPU and connection, if you're using an ancient CPU, a GPU upgrade prob won't improve your raiding FPS much. *edit* - yeah, that old, slow AMD CPU is why you're getting low FPS in raids, I honestly wouldn't invest in a new GPU expecting a dramatic difference in raids.

So my APU is what the problem is? I thought my cpu was the best part of my system. Isn't that usually the case with storebought premades?
Unsugarized_Foo posted...
Yeah, get a 1050 and dont get a PSU

Okay
--------------------------------------------------
*Proud Social Justice Warrior*

User Info: Darkneo20

Darkneo20
1 month ago#26
the best buy around me sometimes sells gtx 1060 6gig and gtx 1070 in store and those are better than 1050ti but arent cheap
Core i5 6600k 16gigs Gskill Ripjaws 3000 ASUS GTX 1060 Turbo 6gig Asrock Fatality Z170 MB 240gig sandisc SSD WD Blue 2TB HDD XFX Modular 750watt

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#27
if all you are really playing is WoW:Legion then just get a 1050. The req system gpu is a 750 TI. as long as you have a decent 300w or better psu in there I wouldn't bother replacing it.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best cheap Power supply and GPU upgrade that I can get in a store?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived