This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is cdkeys.com legit?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is cdkeys.com legit?

User Info: Jules Rules

Jules Rules
3 months ago#61
JKatarn posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
Is reselling keys wrong? lol no.

It is if you're not a publisher-authorized re-seller like Gamersgate, Amazon etc. - technically, individuals re-selling keys is not authorized. More to the point, that's not really the problem, it's people buying keys from authorized sellers using stolen credit-cards, then selling them on these shady gray market sites that do little/no oversight, and when the people they stole from do the chargeback, it actively TAKES money away from developers. But apparently people think saving a few bucks on release is worth doing active harm to the industry. Just don't whine when the next s***ty/low budget PC port rolls around, you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Yeah developers losing out on money from key resellers is definitely to blame for crap PC ports. Not that they're just s***, lazy and too DRM focused. The smallest of indie games I can understand it hurting them badly (though I don't even see many indie games on CD keys), but the biggest companies? They don't care. We're already in an industry where microtransactions are a thing and developers are earning more than ever before. Excuse me if I don't shed a tear for them losing out on a few bucks.
What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#62
JKatarn posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
Is reselling keys wrong? lol no.

It is if you're not a publisher-authorized re-seller like Gamersgate, Amazon etc. - technically, individuals re-selling keys is not authorized. More to the point, that's not really the problem, it's people buying keys from authorized sellers using stolen credit-cards, then selling them on these shady gray market sites that do little/no oversight, and when the people they stole from do the chargeback, it actively TAKES money away from developers. But apparently people think saving a few bucks on release is worth doing active harm to the industry. Just don't whine when the next s***ty/low budget PC port rolls around, you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

You stop it at the source (where the thieves buy the keys) or not at all. People who leave their car door open and keys in the ignition shouldn't be surprised when someone steals it.

And legal has nothing to do with right and wrong. Laws change all the time and there is currently no ruling on it in the U.S. There is no logical reason why I can sell a ps4 game and not a steam key I bought at gamestop. There is more of a case to be made against reselling console games than keys tbh. You can play a console game and then sell it. Keys are one time use.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: Beasthunt

Beasthunt
3 months ago#63
Yep. Perfectly legit.
Gamertag: Beasthunt, PSN: Beasthunt, Steam: Beasthunt
Acts 2:38

User Info: Chargers_31

Chargers_31
3 months ago#64
Don't these sites just mass purchase games on sale and resell them? The fact that a game will go on sale for $15 and then next week it will be mass listed on g2a for $16 makes me think this is the usual case. I usually will buy from g2a if I miss a big sale because I figured that's how it happened. Like FM17 went on sale for $15 recently and I bought it for $17. I figured that was better than pirating it and that the game wasn't worth $50 with the newest edition coming out in 2 months.
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/SDSU-DANCE.gif

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#65
Chargers_31 posted...
Don't these sites just mass purchase games on sale and resell them? The fact that a game will go on sale for $15 and then next week it will be mass listed on g2a for $16 makes me think this is the usual case. I usually will buy from g2a if I miss a big sale because I figured that's how it happened. Like FM17 went on sale for $15 recently and I bought it for $17. I figured that was better than pirating it and that the game wasn't worth $50 with the newest edition coming out in 2 months.

No, they are more like eBay.
And sometimes they abuse regional pricing.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
3 months ago#66
People will always gravitate towards spending less.
Apathy....the epitome of evil or something.

User Info: uptown710

uptown710
3 months ago#67
From what I've seen, devs have gone on record to specifically call out sites like G2A. If they can do that, why not call out CD keys instead?

You can't really say it's any different from registering your car in another state to get cheaper insurance. It's not really illegal, but it is a workaround. If I go on vacation to a country and buy some things there should I leave them there cause I didn't pay for them in the states? Nah.

I use cdkeys on games that are generally overpriced in my opinion. Like how GTA5 is still $60 or when DS was still like $20. I already owned both on console, no way I'm paying full price for them again.
"XBone: not for soldiers or Japanese. or astronauts. didn't you know?" - Vorzal

User Info: sonicteam2k1

sonicteam2k1
3 months ago#68
if devs are so hurt by sites like G2A and would rather have their game pirated, why not just lower the price of your game? I mean if they're just keys, there is no overhead. it is not costing anything to manufacture the game. Just undercut the reseller if it's that bad.
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
3 months ago#69
Devs and publishers complained about a lot over the years tbh. Everything from the cost of carts to used game sales and piracy. G2A isn't the first or last issue that costs them money in their own minds. Believe me, devs/pubs want what is best for themselves and that's it. They dont need anyone to white knight for them.

Edit: Most recently it was complaining about their cut on digital sales.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: LittleScootaIoo

LittleScootaIoo
3 months ago#70
I wouldnt risk going there.
u/homelessscootaloo
http://tinyurl.com/jk7uhjn
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is cdkeys.com legit?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived