This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

User Info: lmAtWork

lmAtWork
3 months ago#1
So my friend's been having computer issues for a long time now, and I've gone down the list of literally everything I can possibly think of. Before mentioning everything I've done, I'll start with what it's doing. The computer is completely freezing and leaving on screen (on both monitors) what ever he's looking at, and blares a constant sound out of his speakers. It seems to mostly happen when he's been playing games for a few hours (at least 2-4 hours in usually), I thought it was only on Blizzard games but it happens on Path of Exile too.

Restarting his computer when it's frozen (by holding down the power button for a few seconds to kill it) will let it boot again without issue.

So now on to what I've tried . . .

Reinstalling Windows (We've done this like 10 times in the last year)

New SSD (about 2 weeks ago)

New PSU (about a year ago)

New Motherboard (about a year ago)

New CPU (about a year ago)

New GPU (about 3 months ago)

New RAM (about a year ago)

Updated all drivers

Had him use a UPS in case it was surges

Had him run an extension cord across the entire house in case it was somehow still power related

Went down the list of literally every program he installs after installing windows to make sure nothing is funky

Virus scan and such obvsly

Memtest and Prime95 and ones to check health of SSD all turn up good. The CPU and GPU temps are low 70's C when it freezes so it's not over heating

Disabled every other sound device besides his speakers and head phones

On to his set up

Dual monitors (1 1080 and 1 1440)

GPU- 1080ti
CPU - i7 6700k
RAM - 32 GB DDR4
SSD - Samsung Evo
HDD - like 5 TB of assorted WD drives
PSU - Gold Rated Seasonic that's either 750 or 850 watts, either way it's more than enough. Pretty positive it's an 850 watt
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth I think is the name, it's the super expensive one with the heat shield crap built in

This is a top of the line rig with quality parts, and the parts aren't that old. He had a build with an i5 4770k and a 7970 GHz but it kept having the same issue so he got mad and rebuilt pretty much the entire computer. Most of the parts are at most a year old

By this point the only thing I can think of is it's still somehow software related, or it's his PSU dying despite it being so new and from such a reputable company. Does anyone have any ideas at all? It seems to mostly happen when he plays Overwatch or Heroes of the Storm with a youtube video or something open in Chrome on his second monitor, but that's pretty much what he's doing the entire time he's on the computer so it's not exactly indicative of the crash criteria
http://i.imgur.com/z2gkfeq.jpg

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 months ago#2
lmAtWork posted...
Reinstalling Windows (We've done this like 10 times in the last year)

This might be your problem SSDs are not meant to write on so many times.

Although I dought this is it, from what you have described I cannot think of anything else besides a bad motherboard or pcie slot or something wrong on the board.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#3
mucloud posted...

Yep, I was suspicious of the SSD so I had him get a new one, but even the new one is having the same exact issue. It's absolutely baffling. He's ordering a new PSU to test now to see if it's the PSU somehow, but I'm at a loss. If the PSU isn't bad, then the only thing else I can think of is the motherboard or CPU . . .he's literally just constantly rebuilding this computer trying to figure out what it can be
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: andrewman2000

andrewman2000
3 months ago#4
You could probably re-install windows every day for the next 5 years and not have an issue with an SSD.
I'm always thinking one step ahead. I'm like a carpenter ... who makes stairs - Andy Bernard

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 months ago#5
PSU issue should make the PC shut down or reboot instead of freezing the screen
Bent pins on the CPU/mobo could explain various issues

Have you tried using different cables for everything?
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#6
I had a very similar crash issue, and new hardware did solve it. I've found it's most commonly related to RAM, CPU, or motherboard, and can be any of these things.

You say you replaced all of these about a year ago - has this problem been going on since before he upgraded? If not, I'm guessing he got a bad part.

An SSD on its way out is not likely to cause the sort of crash you're describing. That sort of crash is basically the CPU/mobo suddenly stopping whatever it's processing and getting locked in a loop - with the loud speaker sound as well. If there was corruption on the hard drive/SSD, it would just not be able to read data, but wouldn't crash like that. Might get a CRC error or something.

I would still pay close attention to the RAM, mobo, and CPU. Chances are pretty good one or more of those is faulty and causing the problem.

When I was having the issue, it was on a 2500k, 8GB DDR3, and I forget what mobo - Asrock something. Upgraded to a 6700k with 16GB DDR4 and a new Gigabyte mobo, and haven't had an issue since.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#7
godplaysSNES posted...

Have you tried using different cables for everything?

HDMI and Display cables yeah, not new power supply cables, I guess we'll test that this saturday with the new PSU =/

KillerTruffle posted...

You say you replaced all of these about a year ago - has this problem been going on since before he upgraded? If not, I'm guessing he got a bad part.

He's been having all kinds of weird problems for ages, but the freezing one has been a pretty consistent issue he's had, which is why I was assuming it almost *had* to be software related because of it persisting even after upgrading hardware

The RAM has me wondering as well, which is why I've had him run memtest and test each stick in each combination. I'll test each one stick by stick this weekend to rule out one of the sticks being janky

I've spent like 50 man hours rebuilding this dang computer over the last couple of years =l
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Jason_25

Jason_25
3 months ago#8
It is probably just bad CPU/motherboard/memory compatibility. Three questions.

Is your memory on the motherboard compatibility list?
Have you updated to the latest non-beta BIOS for the board?
Have you considered replacing the motherboard with a completely different model (and returning if it does not work)?

User Info: Aceallways

Aceallways
3 months ago#9
So the only thing that hasn't changed is the case? Probably a bad case ground. Try it outside of the case.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#10
mucloud posted...

That's nonsense - your average SSD is designed to withstand far more writes than your average user would ever do - in the order of petabytes/exabytes.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived