This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#11
Knighted Dragon posted...
I've spent like 50 man hours rebuilding this dang computer over the last couple of years =l

I think if it got to that point, I'd throw in the towel, build a brand new computer (at least all the core components new - mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, and SSD - and get it up and running. THEN, once it's running nicely, add in the old drives as additional drives so he still has access to all his data and saved crap.

Thankfully, I've never gotten to that point, so I'm still holding my record of never once having to fully rebuilt my computer since I originally got it in 1998, thanks to piecemeal upgrades as needed.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#12
Aceallways posted...
So the only thing that hasn't changed is the case? Probably a bad case ground. Try it outside of the case.

I actually did change his case when we changed the Mobo and CPU and RAM, I just didn't mention it as I didn't think it was relevant

Jason_25 posted...

Is your memory on the motherboard compatibility list?

Hmm , it's GSkill DDR4 2400 MHz I believe, seemed pretty standard for a modern motherboard

Jason_25 posted...

Have you updated to the latest non-beta BIOS for the board?

He updated BIOS a while back, but hasn't since we reinstalled Windows the last few times. I assume updating BIOS doesn't stay over after changing out the OS drive and reinstalling it etc so it's probably currently out of date again

Jason_25 posted...

Have you considered replacing the motherboard with a completely different model (and returning if it does not work)?

That's the next plan if the PSU replacement does nothing =/
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#13
Knighted Dragon posted...
I assume updating BIOS doesn't stay over after changing out the OS drive and reinstalling it etc so it's probably currently out of date again

BIOS is stored on the motherboard, not the hard drive. That's why it was so risky back in the day to flash/update BIOS - one screwup and you had a brick. These days, most mobos have safeguards that even if you screw up flashing BIOS, you can still recover it. Removing, swapping, or otherwise doing anything to your hard drive/SSD will not affect BIOS in the slightest though.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
3 months ago#14
You may think the GPU is fine, but yeah memory on those can go bad.

The symptom is very similar to RAM.

It will tend to crash while running video or doing light hardware acceleration.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

User Info: lost_within

lost_within
3 months ago#15
A year is plenty of time for a PSU to go bad, especially if you have frequent power outages or have an issue with dirty power, which you already stated you might have experienced. I would check that PSU.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison

User Info: doomvi

doomvi
3 months ago#16
I had a very similar problem a few years back and it caused me no end of headaches, it came down to a hardware conflict issue, so I would suggest you start there and look to see if you have any obvious conflicts and try to solve them from there. Disabling certain hardware and seeing if the problem still persists, if there is nothing obvious is the other way to go.
i5-3570k, 128 GB OCZ SSD, 1 TB Seagate HDD & 750 WD Black HDD, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, 28" Samsung UE590.

User Info: spud_almighty

spud_almighty
3 months ago#17
I had this exact problem and I never found the solution for it. I simply built a new PC from scratch.

User Info: JowyBlight

JowyBlight
3 months ago#18
Unless I missed it, it seems you've put a lot of work in this but you skipped over a basic test which is to run with minimal components to try to pinpoint the issue.
And if you've kept all those old parts, you could even build a second machine and see if that one has the same problem.

The way it freezes like that makes me think it's the RAM though. You should do what that guy above said and check if its compatible with your mobo (ECC RAM can give problems sometimes for example) and the BIOS updates sometimes have fixes for RAM compatibility.
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
3 months ago#19
I had a similar issue. I had to reflash the BIOS to the memory. Even if it had the latest one. Turns out the mobo had a wrong flash that caused issues after a windows install. Before installing windows everything worked right out of the box, and after the first restart/shutdown, everything went downhill.

So make sure to flash your bios to the latest one, even if the mobo came with it.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB SSD + 1TB || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: Love_Me_Sexy

Love_Me_Sexy
3 months ago#20
What does event viewer logs say after the crash?
Waiting to preorder Xbox One X
Waiting for info on Ataribox
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived