This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 weeks ago#21
After having just a bunch of general weirdness with my computer for several months I finally realized one of my HDDs was dying. It wasn't my system drive so it wasn't immediately obvious but it still managed to cause general instability, seemingly random FPS drops (even in games that weren't running from the drive) and error messages that I couldn't figure out.

You said this has happened before in an old system so if he kept his old drives around that would be the first thing I checked. Just go back to basics and use a single known good drive. If the issues persist even with the single drive I'd look into seeing how clean his power is. It might be good to pick up a UPS or some other power conditioning system because there's really no reason for this to happen again on a fresh build.

Like others have said, don't worry about the SSD being worn out. A thousand Windows reinstalls would barely put a dent in a decent SSD's write capacity (assuming approximately 30GB worth of writes per install, 1000 would be approximately the point where Samsung's warranty ends on their consumer drives and they're still good for way beyond that, multiple petabytes of writes isn't out of the question). If mucloud says something it's probably wrong and safe to ignore.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
4 weeks ago#22
Do tests on the RAM, CPU, and GPU. If those don't work, I'd blame the mobo
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
4 weeks ago#23
+70c on the cpu you mentioned is near its max. You might want to consider doing stuff to bring that temp down. (better cooling) If nothing else that cpu will self throttle its speed down to cut down on the heat making your cpu run slower because it is so hot.
(message deleted)

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
4 weeks ago#25
Is anything set to overclock?

Dual monitor? Have a hardware monitor program on the second screen and watch temperatures. If the CPU is getting too hot, you may need to clean and remount the heatsink or require a bigger CPU cooler. Also, 70 degrees Celsius is not a nice temperature for the CPU.

These freezes are a certain type of crash. Check you BIOS settings to ensure RAM and CPU settings and voltages are correct. From there, either start underclocking CPU and RAM or increase latency settings on RAM or increase voltage settings. I have had one RAM issue before where the RAM's default voltage was too low for proper operation.

On the reducing settings tactic, if your system temperatures are hot, which they are, don't increase voltage, just reduce clocks or loosen latency timings.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: lmAtWork

lmAtWork
4 weeks ago#26
RIP

After running Prime95 overnight his computer did freeze. Seems to imply it's more CPU related, but I still can't rule out like every other part being faulty and just coincidentally failing at some point during the night . . .

lightningbugx posted...
Is anything set to overclock?

Everything is stock, they probably do their stock over drive nonsense, but nothing is overclocked

lightningbugx posted...

These freezes are a certain type of crash. Check you BIOS settings to ensure RAM and CPU settings and voltages are correct. From there, either start underclocking CPU and RAM or increase latency settings on RAM or increase voltage settings. I have had one RAM issue before where the RAM's default voltage was too low for proper operation.

Hmm, I figured since all 4 sticks of RAM are the same exact model the CAS and such would match. I checked the settings in BIOS the other day just to see if there was one that was lower than the others or something, but I'll check again more in depth
http://i.imgur.com/z2gkfeq.jpg

User Info: TimeCapsule

TimeCapsule
4 weeks ago#27
I've been having this same issue since June. My PC would freeze only under gaming load. Tried almost everything untill I re inserted the RAM to another slot and also sent in my GPU for repair since it got messed up during this issue.

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
4 weeks ago#28
PC gaming

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
4 weeks ago#29
I had this issue with my previous computer.
Couldn't pinpoint the origin of it sadly. I guess it didn't happen though when I had the side of my case open.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
4 weeks ago#30
It may sound dumb, but have you tried a different mouse and keyboard? My PC likes to freeze on boot if I have a controller plugged its any of its ports.
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|2xSLI GTX 980ti Lightning LE|HAF 932|Samsung 50inch 4K|HTC Vive
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived