This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
2 months ago#31
lmAtWork posted...

Hmm, I figured since all 4 sticks of RAM are the same exact model the CAS and such would match. I checked the settings in BIOS the other day just to see if there was one that was lower than the others or something, but I'll check again more in depth

Take out 1 pair. Test. Swap to other pair. Test. If one set had problems, test each one alone.

Other than that, increase voltage setting on RAM by a small amount, like 0.05V. The defaults could be too low. The one time I had this problem, it was because default RAM voltage was too low.

As for your CPU temps, how do you apply the thermal paste before mounting the cooler?
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 months ago#32
Well we found out 2 of his sticks of RAM couldn't boot by themselves no matter which slot they were in, so that could have potentially been an issue. He's going to contact Corsair about those, and they are currently not in the computer, so he's running on 16 gigs that always booted individually and together

We also updated his BIOS to the latest version

Still freezing. He froze like 4 times in 2 hours while playing Heroes of the Storm. He even tried running Blizzard games in 32 bit as some people say that fixes issues with Blizzard games freezing.

Argh

Thanks for all the assistance you guys have provided thus far btw
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: young_flip

young_flip
2 months ago#33
go to event viewer and take a look at windows logs -> system. every time windows crashes the conflict is recorded. there's bound to be some information there.
playing:
add me on steam: prejt2. "Oh my goodness. Freedom!"

User Info: lost_within

lost_within
2 months ago#34
Knighted Dragon posted...
Well we found out 2 of his sticks of RAM couldn't boot by themselves no matter which slot they were in, so that could have potentially been an issue. He's going to contact Corsair about those, and they are currently not in the computer, so he's running on 16 gigs that always booted individually and together

We also updated his BIOS to the latest version

Still freezing. He froze like 4 times in 2 hours while playing Heroes of the Storm. He even tried running Blizzard games in 32 bit as some people say that fixes issues with Blizzard games freezing.

Argh

Thanks for all the assistance you guys have provided thus far btw

This makes me wonder if it is a bad RAM slot, try taking out all of your RAM except one, and cycle through the slots to determine if is a slot or the RAM. If you get through all the slots with one stick of RAM then it probably isn't a RAM slot...
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison

User Info: young_flip

young_flip
2 months ago#35
any updates @lmAtWork
playing:
add me on steam: prejt2. "Oh my goodness. Freedom!"

User Info: Uchiha_Micah

Uchiha_Micah
2 months ago#36
Have you tried performing an exorcism?

Sorry.
"I wasn't carded. My facial hair was too powerful for the weak-willed GameStop employee" i lol'd

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 months ago#37
young_flip posted...
any updates @lmAtWork

Actually yes, good timing (I'm at work is my work account if you don't know)

I just got back from replacing his CPU with another i7 6700k and replaced the thermal paste new Arctic thermal paste. The second he runs Prime95 he hits 90-100 C despite having a Corsair H100i watercooler. I'm starting to wonder if the cooler is even working. He swore he wasn't over heating before, but I insisted on him leaving core temp up on his second monitor at all times and when he crashed he was above 70 C which is fairly hot, but him hitting 90-100+ C now is without a doubt too freaking hot

I told him to check the Event Viewer system logs if it crashes again as well

I'm about ready to throw his computer out the window. The fact that two of his sticks of RAM would not work in any slot seems too convenient to me, I wonder if it IS his motherboard being stupid, and if that is somehow messing up his h100i and not letting the CPU fan header draw enough power or something

lost_within posted...

This makes me wonder if it is a bad RAM slot, try taking out all of your RAM except one, and cycle through the slots to determine if is a slot or the RAM. If you get through all the slots with one stick of RAM then it probably isn't a RAM slot...

I tried every single stick solo in every single slot, and every stick in every combination with each other. Two sticks just straight up wouldn't boot at all in any slot or any combination, but the other two would boot in any combination that didn't involve the two dead ones
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 months ago#38
Sounds like you have the worst problems ever and the culprit can be whatever hell is possible.
I've had two H60 units where the pump has become defective, so I wouldn't be surprised if his H100i has a defective pump unit.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
2 months ago#39
My 2 cents: I see you have quite a few secondary hd's. Are you formatting these when you reinstall Windows? If you are keeping the data, there could be something going on there. I'd recommend a complete format of all drives and then to start from scratch.

Edit: appears it was something else, just going to keep this up here in case it's not the cooler.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
2 months ago#40
mucloud posted...
lmAtWork posted...
Reinstalling Windows (We've done this like 10 times in the last year)

This might be your problem SSDs are not meant to write on so many times.

Jesus...
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Tech support help needed, this is the weirdest case I've ever encountered

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived