This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Possible to play older PC games without CD/CD drive?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Possible to play older PC games without CD/CD drive?

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
4 weeks ago#11
Yeah you can absolutely play without a CD drive. I still have a ton of old CD games and just play what has been released on Gog/Steam or whatever service, or if all else fails run a virtual CD with something such as Daemon Tools and Dos Box. The last way is usually more "illegal" but it's for 15+ year old games that you probably already have on CD, so who really cares.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#12
PhilOnDez posted...
If you have access to any sort of CD/DVD drive at all, even in an old laptop or on a friend's pc, you can rip the discs to isos then copy them to a flash drive. Copy them to your computer and use a virtual disc drive to mount them and you'll be all good.

I'm assuming you need the discs in the drive for DRM purposes in this case. If not then you could still do that but instead of copying the discs to your pc you could just mount them from the USB stick and run the installer from there. I had to do the DRM thing to play some older games on a netbook a while back. I think I used MagicISO but I don't have easy access to the netbook to check.

This I did this with all my old games I have them on 1 USB drive so I can play them anywhere anytime.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: X Slayer007 X

X Slayer007 X
4 weeks ago#13
Thanks all - good to know there is a way to download these things easily even if it costs something without having to dabble with virtual drive mounting (let's face it,a moron like me will screw it up lol), but I will definitely try to find these elusive CD's at my parents' house!
{aB} RIP Lyrics Topic (6/12/2003 - 1/31/2007)
Hello Vinnie. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check! *stab* The pen is truly mightier than the sword!

User Info: BannanaBomb2002

BannanaBomb2002
4 weeks ago#14
Virtual drives aren't that difficult. The first time I tried it I was in 6th grade. Just google any questions you have, it will solve 95% of your tech problems in life.

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
4 weeks ago#15
Speaking of virtual drives, if you're using windows 8 or 10, you can simply right click the iso file and select mount.
If you're still on Win7 or older it requires the extra step of downloading this file from microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

Although, the creation of the backup image will require additional software like Nero.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 weeks ago#16
PhilOnDez posted...
If you have access to any sort of CD/DVD drive at all, even in an old laptop or on a friend's pc, you can rip the discs to isos then copy them to a flash drive. Copy them to your computer and use a virtual disc drive to mount them and you'll be all good.

I'm assuming you need the discs in the drive for DRM purposes in this case. If not then you could still do that but instead of copying the discs to your pc you could just mount them from the USB stick and run the installer from there. I had to do the DRM thing to play some older games on a netbook a while back. I think I used MagicISO but I don't have easy access to the netbook to check.

+1 to this.

If you can find them on GOG, wait for a sale and rebuy them so you get all the updates and compatibility patches. If your game isn't on GOG... DOSbox along with the above method.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Possible to play older PC games without CD/CD drive?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived