This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

US Government is removing Kaspersky from their PC's and Bestbuy bans sales

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. US Government is removing Kaspersky from their PC's and Bestbuy bans sales

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
2 months ago#51
To be honest, I haven't used anti-virus software in the last six years, and I've not noticed any difference. But I don't download a lot of crap, I don't get spam, and I can easily recognize scam sites. I also use a combination of ad blockers, pop up blockers, and no script.

I seem to remember articles from four or five years ago saying that anti-virus companies were moving away from prevention and focusing instead on clean up. If that's true, then why not just use Windows Defender? And at this point, everything is so cloud based that even if I had to wipe my entire system it would only be an inconvenience. I don't think I'd actually lose anything.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: Madmartagon

Madmartagon
2 months ago#52
I only use Malwarebytes and maybe spybot every half a year - Just for -immunizations-
I think being smart and using a good addblocker and knowing your pc enough to see processes that should not be there and not going to shady pages you will prob never get a virus so so again

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
2 months ago#53
People can get into your PC without user involvement. Windows basic defences are alright but if someone wants in, it's not hard.

Best security is to have a Chromebook that is used only for sensitive operations and sparingly. Maybe get a Rasberry Pi and use it as a buffer. I think there are a few good options using those
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
2 months ago#54
Love_Me_Sexy posted...
ITT:

People who do not work in any type of technical corporate environment and think they are smart enough to avoid viruses rather than be proactive and protect against them.

Seriously, it's painful seeing people people brag about not using an A/V, it's about as big of a tell as hearing people say things like "who still uses outlook??". You can pretty much instantly tell they've never had a job at an office

ClunkerSlim posted...
I haven't used anti-virus software in the last six years, and I've not noticed any difference

This logic is extremely faulty. How would you KNOW if you had a virus without an anti-virus to tell you? Most viruses aren't going to have a flashing pop up telling you "ALL YOUR COMPUTER ARE BELONG TO US", they are going to be subtly stealing your info or resources in the background, or logging all your keystrokes etc
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
2 months ago#55
^That's extreme paranoia. The chances of anyone around here having a key logger is pretty remotely small. If I've come across one in the last six years then it's the worst key logger in history since I've never had a password or financial information stolen. Do mass key loggers even exist? Seems like that would just transmit unmanageable amounts of junk data. As for my resources, like most other computer nerds I watch that s*** religiously and I can tell when there's a change.

I'm not saying there's not a chance that something can get by me. But the chances of something getting by your virus scanner is pretty good too since those companies have admitted to problems with keeping up with the newest threats. So then it's just a question of who's going to come out with a fix first, Windows defender or that particular antivirus software. And I've not personally seen any data that says one is quicker to implement a fix over the other. But if you have an article like that then post it.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
2 months ago#56
You sound like an innocent person. I envy you
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
2 months ago#57
This is complete anti-intellectual hysteria. If you don't want to use Kaspersky because AV is stupid, fine, but because it's doing something shady or malicious? Prove it. You have the code, show me. Doing this with no evidence will inspire other countries to ban American software to reciprocate or out of their own FUD.
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: Cool_Dude667

Cool_Dude667
2 months ago#58
Mr Hangman posted...
This is complete anti-intellectual hysteria. If you don't want to use Kaspersky because AV is stupid, fine, but because it's doing something shady or malicious? Prove it. You have the code, show me. Doing this with no evidence will inspire other countries to ban American software to reciprocate or out of their own FUD.

Did you expect any better from trump?
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
2 months ago#59
1. Do you think Trump did this personally? lmao
2. Do you think the government would reveal any sort of analytics methods or tools it used to come to such a conclusion?
3. Do you think the government should be installing foreign-produced security software on its computers in the first place regardless of the threat?
3b. Especially security software from a relatively hostile nation?
4. Russia has absolutely no restraints when it comes to what the government does to / with its corporations, so as I've already said, even if there is no official collaboration between Kaspersky Labs and the RF government, it's entirely possible that the RF government has a back door of some kind into the software. It's just not worth the risk.

User Info: robert43s

robert43s
2 months ago#60
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

AV is like most insurance policies. You wonder whether you need it, and continue paying until something happens and you think, good job I had insurance. Or you stop paying, something happens and you are think, if only I had insurance.

It's a safety measure.

You, with good backups, you think AV is not required.

But, how would you know?

Not all viruses/worms etc... let you know that you've been infected. They can be used to gain sensitive information etc..

But, if you only use your pc for gaming, no banking stuff, no using/storing or credit card information etc..., then even if you are infected, you might be ok. But, since you do not have a scanner, you'll never know.
Remember, it's only a game, have fun and enjoy.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. US Government is removing Kaspersky from their PC's and Bestbuy bans sales

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived