This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick java question(yet again lol)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Quick java question(yet again lol)

User Info: genesis145

genesis145
2 months ago#1
my teacher has us checking for errors in a two-dimension array. I was having 50 errors with something because it was saying it couldn't find the symbol for absolute value and some other stuff. After some goggling I realized I had to import the Math class.

So now I'm down to 1 "can't find symbol" errors. They are for metohds called
checkMiddlecell()
checkUpperLeft()
checkLowerLeft()
checkUpperRight()
etc.....

and one called
detectErrors()

Is there a package for those or do I need to make variabls for those in my constructor somewhere.
packages i've imported so far are

import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
import static java.lang.Math.*;

My teacher didn't say she just threw those at us and also she was putting public void in front of them such as "public void detectError()" and "public void checkMiddleCell()"

When I put public void in front of them it always gives me an illegal start error. am I supposed to be putting public void in front of those methods or do I not need to.

A bit of info my entire program is in one class (constructor and main method) idk if that matters.

User Info: VoidNoodle

VoidNoodle
2 months ago#2
You're probably supposed to code those methods yourself.
2017 Goal: 400pp and 500pp. Current top play: 307pp
HHKB Pro 2 | Ducky One TKL RGB | Quickfire TK | Corsair K90

User Info: neroAngelo

neroAngelo
2 months ago#3
Why do so many people take optional coding classes and then ask the internet to do all their work for them? Maybe try paying attention in class and asking the teacher questions when something doesn't make sense.
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 6700k@4.5, 32GB DDR4, 1070 G1 8GB, 512GB 840 pro, 960 GB SanDisk Ultra II, HTC Vive

genesis145
2 months ago#4
neroAngelo posted...
Why do so many people take optional coding classes and then ask the internet to do all their work for them? Maybe try paying attention in class and asking the teacher questions when something doesn't make sense.

class has been canceled all week and she hasn't responded to emails. As well as this isn't optional it's a required class for my curriculum and she isn't "teaching" us just gave us slide shows and said ask questions as needed. But haven't been able to even get in touch with her. And I literally didn't even ask you to do my work just now. I legit asked if there was a package I was supposed to import or to code it myself. Which someone just said code it myself most likely and that's what I'm going to do. Didn't ask him for help writing the code in this instance. The times I needed help on here and got the help it was stuff she legit never even taught us but were required to even make the program run.

User Info: protools1983

protools1983
2 months ago#5
TC, you really need to find another venue for your programming education. Stick with stack overflow or perhaps join a Java channel in Discord. You need more than just a quick question or two, we are not here to teach you Java programming. If you feel your instructor is not providing what you need to learn then contact the department head. Please stop with these off topic posts.
Glorious 4K PC Master Race
Gamefaqs PCH Discord channel: https://discord.gg/EmPEfdC

User Info: Lienhart

Lienhart
2 months ago#6
neroAngelo posted...

Are you a programmer?

Let me clarify: if you aren't. Get out. You won't understand.

genesis145
2 months ago#7
protools1983 posted...
TC, you really need to find another venue for your programming education. Stick with stack overflow or perhaps join a Java channel in Discord. You need more than just a quick question or two, we are not here to teach you Java programming. If you feel your instructor is not providing what you need to learn then contact the department head. Please stop with these off topic posts.

I didn't know these were off topic. Legit no one has told me that and the forum said this was a general PC forum not just for games. So Sorry I guess

Lienhart
2 months ago#8
genesis145 posted...
neroAngelo posted...

class has been canceled all week and she hasn't responded to emails. As well as this isn't optional it's a required class for my curriculum and she isn't "teaching" us just gave us slide shows and said ask questions as needed. But haven't been able to even get in touch with her. And I literally didn't even ask you to do my work just now. I legit asked if there was a package I was supposed to import or to code it myself. Which someone just said code it myself most likely and that's what I'm going to do. Didn't ask him for help writing the code in this instance. The times I needed help on here and got the help it was stuff she legit never even taught us but were required to even make the program run.

Don't bother replying to this s***. There are only two types of ppl who respond the way that fool did:

Non-programmers because they don't get it.
Toxic programmers that are complete s*** and need to be humbled (there is always someone better than you at anything)

Lienhart
2 months ago#9
genesis145 posted...
protools1983 posted...

I didn't know these were off topic. Legit no one has told me that and the forum said this was a general PC forum not just for games. So Sorry I guess

It's fine. Protools isnt a particularly good person. Ignore.

genesis145
2 months ago#10
Lienhart posted...
genesis145 posted...
protools1983 posted...

It's fine. Protools isnt a particularly good person. Ignore.

Thanks for all the support Lienhart.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Quick java question(yet again lol)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived