This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC gaming.. what controller should I use?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming.. what controller should I use?

User Info: Somato

Somato
3 months ago#11
keyboard / mouse

You want to be good right?
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf

User Info: LewdLust

LewdLust
3 months ago#12
The problem with DS4 is that you won't find many games on PC that will display in-game button prompts for it(square, triangle etc.)

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
3 months ago#13
LewdLust posted...
The problem with DS4 is that you won't find many games on PC that will display in-game button prompts for it(square, triangle etc.)

Haha this is certainly true. I'm glad theres often times mods that fixes that or ini file edits. Not a big issue for me as I remember the xbox prompts, but it is a bother as I far prefer the look of the playstation prompts ingame.

User Info: Cemmos

Cemmos
3 months ago#14
Steam controller
Currently looking forward to Ashes of Creation | MegaTen Discord Server
https://www.cemmos.net/game/ashes-of-creation/ | https://discord.gg/fcqpHnT

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
3 months ago#15
I use a wired 360 controller, never have to worry about charging it and it works fine.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
3 months ago#16
Cemmos posted...
Steam controller

This for conveniences' sake (unless playing a non-steam game)

No 3rd software to get the controller to register as being there, and making individual setups for 100 different games, just steal someone else's config from the community configs and bam, easy.

Using DS3Tool/BetterDS3 doesnt even work anymore since DS3 tool f***s up now.

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
3 months ago#17
Steam's Big Picture Mode helps dramatically with support for both the XBone and DS4 controllers. It's not quite "native support," but it's pretty damn close.

XBone Pros:
-Out-of-the-box support in basically any game that supports controllers
-long battery life (60+ hours in my experience)
-triggers are excellent, with a long, smooth pull
-analogs are very easy to grip, if a little loose
-new models have BlueTooth support
Cons:
-Face buttons are mushy
-D-Pad is very small
-uses AAs rather than being rechargeable
-analogs are very low-tension

DS4 Pros:
-Higher-tension analog sticks
-large D-Pad
-flat and snappy face buttons
-touchpad can be used as a mouse
-has a gyroscope in it
-rechargeable
Cons:
-Short battery life
-wireless is a mess without the Sony adapter, and even then it's still iffy
-out-of-the-box support is pretty bad

Personally, I'd pick the DS4. The face buttons and D-Pad feel much nicer to me than the XBone or Steam Controller, and though the analogs don't have quite as much tension as I'd like, they're tighter than the XBone's. It also has an actually usable D-Pad if fighting games are at all your thing, and I personally prefer the in-line analogs to the offset ones of the XBox controller. The XBone has longer and smoother triggers though, so if throttle or pressure control are needed that might swing the balance a bit towards the XBone controller.

The XBone controller is also considerably heavier and a bit bigger than the DS4, so if you have small hands you may prefer the DS4, though both fit my hands pretty well. That said, I find the DS4 easier to "claw grip" (index fingers on shoulder buttons, middle fingers on triggers) for extended periods of time compared to the XBone, but that's something you're not really gonna get a feel for until you've used both for a while.

At the end of the day if I could only pick one, I'd probably go for the DS4.
Now Playing: GG Xrd Rev 2, GRIP, Redout
Now, let's count up your sins! | Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DrPtkT

User Info: ZaruenKosai

ZaruenKosai
3 months ago#18
Yewolife posted...
LewdLust posted...

Haha this is certainly true. I'm glad theres often times mods that fixes that or ini file edits. Not a big issue for me as I remember the xbox prompts, but it is a bother as I far prefer the look of the playstation prompts ingame.

I ended up just learning the XBOX controller buttons for this reason specificly.
I6700K - ASUS R9 390 STRIX - 16 Gigs DDR4 3200 - Z170-XP - Corsair 500R
"You'd best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're in one!"

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 months ago#19
KillerTruffle posted...
Shocked that not a single person has suggested KB/mouse yet. heh

Get out, you.

TC, go with XBONE if you have Windows 10, X360 if you have an older version of Windows, or a Steam controller if you're okay with something a bit unorthodox. (Get a Steam controller anyway for all those old click-heavy games!)

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
3 months ago#20
I use a wired 360. Don't get a madcatz or anything for simplicity sake if you don't wanna install drivers, native is best.

Native support means a lot and some games have poor software so you can get conflicts with things like settings you make for one to their own native so it can be jumbled controls.

It'll work great with emu as all emu lets you map. If your going to do a boat load of emu then buy a knock off usb look alike for $5 off ebay that matches whatever. Playstation and xbox are pretty relatable in that regard just the 360 has wider spacing. Nes,n64,cdi,old+ weird stuff /etc you might notice a big improvement with a little $ for a look alike.

As old stuff ps1/gboy do yourself a favor and make one of the sticks the directionals. Directionals suck for movement.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming.. what controller should I use?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived