This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to PC gaming.. what controller should I use?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming.. what controller should I use?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
1 month ago#21
KillerTruffle posted...
Shocked that not a single person has suggested KB/mouse yet. heh

Not every game plays well with Keyboard & Mouse. I at least would never try to play something like Devil May Cry without a controller.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: RunFromThisGun

RunFromThisGun
1 month ago#22
Yewolife posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Because no one is mistaking a kb/mouse for a traditional controller.

By and large DS4 is the best in my book. But, some games are better with the analog higher up like the xbox's, and some work better with the dpad higher up like the DS4 - so use whichever one is best for the kind of game your playing.

That said DS4 with its many customization and utility with the touch pad will be your all around most versatile controller for just about anything.

I don't get the love for the PS controllers. My first DS4 controller became nearly useless after about 4 months because the left joystick rubber wore completely through and left an annoying feel everytime I moved a character. I bought another controller and the same thing happened, only it took about 8 months that time, so Sony did at least make their joysticks slightly less s***ty in the 2nd models.

And don't get me started on the joystick placement. Horizontal and close together does not have a natural feel. And the triggers while vastly improved over the DS3, still feel too small. That said, the XB1 triggers are way too sensitive so even thought their feel is so much better I actually get more annoyed with them due to constantly triggering them accidentally.

User Info: Yewolife

Yewolife
1 month ago#23
RunFromThisGun posted...
Yewolife posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Because no one is mistaking a kb/mouse for a traditional controller.

By and large DS4 is the best in my book. But, some games are better with the analog higher up like the xbox's, and some work better with the dpad higher up like the DS4 - so use whichever one is best for the kind of game your playing.

That said DS4 with its many customization and utility with the touch pad will be your all around most versatile controller for just about anything.

I don't get the love for the PS controllers. My first DS4 controller became nearly useless after about 4 months because the left joystick rubber wore completely through and left an annoying feel everytime I moved a character. I bought another controller and the same thing happened, only it took about 8 months that time, so Sony did at least make their joysticks slightly less s***ty in the 2nd models.

And don't get me started on the joystick placement. Horizontal and close together does not have a natural feel. And the triggers while vastly improved over the DS3, still feel too small. That said, the XB1 triggers are way too sensitive so even thought their feel is so much better I actually get more annoyed with them due to constantly triggering them accidentally.

Hm, I guess I should consider myself lucky as my DS4 controllers all never had any issue with the rubbers coming off having used them for I don't know how long now haha (3-4 years?). That said I personally consider myself to have average hands or maybe a little smaller so the ds4 fits me like a glove while I have yet to find a xbox brand of controller I feel fits me as well and honestly they always feel they have to much extra bulk to them. Though this is all just personal preference so I'd wouldn't let any of this knock on either controller being better/worse.

What really makes the difference between DS4 and Xbox (any model) is that the DS4 utility in terms of being a PC controller is far superior to the Xbox or even steam controller. The touch pad of the DS4 gives you untold amounts of extra macros and functions which essentially makes your DS4 into a built in nostromo/g13/gaming-keypad.

So, for example in Witcher 3 I used the 4 swipe controls and presses to instantly cast Quen, Aard, Yrden, Ignis, Axii without having to fiddle with menus. Same goes for healing items (Which apply to any game really). Games like skyrim I could set 8+ different dragon shouts to cast instantly without using menus. FFXIV, I could set different loadouts/classes, summon chocobo/minons, teleport to specific place by binding different macros, or gestures. Even things such as emu's you can use to savestate, loadstate, change directx, fastforward, etc. Also general things like being able to change the volume via left/right press or mute for middle press is incredibly useful. Being able to use the touch pad as a mouse is awesome for a PC. I even set it so that I can open specific games by holding a button combination for a couple seconds, or shut down any game instantly the same way. Also use it to capture video or screen shots via Fraps or just turn on the FPS counter. Even have a macro for alt tabing out of the game to. I do all these things so I play most PC games from bed without ever touching my mouse and keyboard.

The limitations of what you can do is really limited only by your creativity/imagination.

So for those reasons the DS4 is functionally better then most if not any other controller out there given you care for those extra features. Can't do much about the actual feel or placements of the analogs, but for me the pros far outweigh the cons.

User Info: RunFromThisGun

RunFromThisGun
1 month ago#24
The steam controller has touch too right? I actually bought one as soon as it came out and although I knew that the analogs werent actually joysticks I didn't fully realize how ungodly that was until I actually used it. Just thinking about how that controller felt gives me shivers.

User Info: MrTuna

MrTuna
1 month ago#25
Xbox one is the best

Plug and play
GT:OG Kush Man | i5 4690k | EVGA 980Ti | 16 gigs ram | 1TB HDD | 250 GB SSD |

User Info: Thefallenseraph

Thefallenseraph
4 weeks ago#26
protools1983 posted...
All of these people are steering you in the wrong direction TC. It's not preference, it's what I tell you is best. The Xbox One controller is Master Race of controllers.

For the most part i agree. Especially if you get an elite. I dont like the bumpers though
Lets get it on FREAK!!

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
4 weeks ago#27
So any Xbox one controller works for PC? Okay. I'm playing Dark souls 2 and man are Key board controls a pain for it.
No sig.

User Info: h3IIfir3pho3nix

h3IIfir3pho3nix
4 weeks ago#28
I have both. I mainly use the Xbox One controller. However, for some platformers I've found the PS4 controller is better.

That being said, Xbox One is what I would recommend. If you've got the money to spend, consider the Xbox One Elite controller too.
'F*** no. You want Nintendo games? Suck it up and get a Wii U you big fat babies'. - DemonicChaosXX
'Pretty sure this is the Nintendo mission statement' - DXMG

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 weeks ago#29
I would probably have to say DS4 just because of the gyros. Gyros can help with shooters if you don't use a KB/M.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Heracylost

Heracylost
3 weeks ago#30
Got a 360 one for 30$ new. Works great.
That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it. Lemmy Kilmister
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to PC gaming.. what controller should I use?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived