This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#21
Orestes417 posted...
You got people who actively want to win and people who actively want to f*** around. Mix them and you get "toxicity" (christ that word needs to die)

I think it goes without saying that very few people want to lose in an online game, the problem comes when you have no-lifers spewing vitriol at people who may be new/less experienced in a game because they don't play the game the EXACT way this person sees fit, and they have invested FAR too much of their self-esteem in their win/loss ratio etc. I do have very little patience for trolls/people being purposefully disruptive etc, but I have patience for people who are honestly trying, learning, but may just not be experienced yet.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

JKatarn
3 months ago#22
Yewolife posted...
If you ask me its more due to the age groups that play. Each new year of younger players that get into the games are more toxic than the last and continually grow more so as they get older

That goes into a larger societal issue with absent/overly-indulgent parents. You know the worst-of-the-worst have likely never been disciplined by their parents.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#23
JKatarn posted...
Orestes417 posted...
You got people who actively want to win and people who actively want to f*** around. Mix them and you get "toxicity" (christ that word needs to die)

I think it goes without saying that very few people want to lose in an online game, the problem comes when you have no-lifers spewing vitriol at people who may be new/less experienced in a game because they don't play the game the EXACT way this person sees fit, and they have invested FAR too much of their self-esteem in their win/loss ratio etc. I do have very little patience for trolls/people being purposefully disruptive etc, but I have patience for people who are honestly trying, learning, but may just not be experienced yet.

It's absurd how many actually aren't even attempting to win. I don't expect skill but I do expect sincere effort. Got very little patience for willful mistakes and repetition of known bad habits either. You claim you want to learn, you'd best be demonstrating it. Even moreso if it's taking place in an actual competitive mode.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
3 months ago#24
Everyone thinks that he's the special snowflake and that he should be indulged.

From my experience, it always starts when one player suggests something to his teammate and there's a disagreement.
Then things escalate quickly and the game is lost.

JKatarn
3 months ago#25
arleas posted...
Toxic applies more to people who cry about everything being toxic than it does to actual "toxic" people.

FPS games have always been full of 12 year olds bragging about relations with everyone else's mother. If that offends you then you've been living under a rock since 2000 at least.

I mean, yes, it's stupid, but to actually be insulted over it? That's pretty stupid too.

Grow some thick skin or get the f*** off the internet before you get hurt.

No, I mean, you always had dickheads, but never in the proportion would do nowadays. Due to the drop in hardware prices/free-to-play games/games and computers in general being more approachable we have far more ass***s in games nowadays.

JKatarn
3 months ago#26
Orestes417 posted...
Even moreso if it's taking place in an actual competitive mode.

Fair enough, but that's why I usually don't play competitive modes in games because I know there's going to be a forced meta-game and I don't like being pigeonholed into a specific strategy/playstyle and don't have/want to invest 500+ hours in a single game/handful of games, I prefer to experience a lot of different games in spurts. But yes, people that are just f***ing around, even in casual play modes annoy me. I'm by no means a perfect player, but I try.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#27
JKatarn posted...
I do have very little patience for trolls/people being purposefully disruptive etc, but I have patience for people who are honestly trying, learning, but may just not be experienced yet.

It's been a while since I've played online competitive games, but really, there tend to be communities within the overall community that can help a new player get accustomed to things usually. Nobody wants to see a game die out because it can't accept new players.

In my experience, in general, someone yelling at you because you didn't play the game exactly their way is either ignored by everyone or the whole server is like that and the guy yelling the loudest is their leader.

If you're on the latter type of server, just leave and find a better starting spot. If you're on the former type of server, mute the guy swearing at you and continue on.

Thinking back to TF2, I stumbled into a server where everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) was micspamming, almost nobody was playing for the objective, and when I made a comment about it, I got kicked. I could have come to gamefaqs to bemoan the state of the game and how toxic the community was, but instead I just found a better server and moved on. That took me all of 2 minutes (and part of that was just waiting for the list to load up and then sort it out by pings and player counts).

I guess with games where you can't find a server by yourself it's more difficult, but that's another reason to hate automated matchmaking.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#28
JKatarn posted...
Due to the drop in hardware prices/free-to-play games/games and computers in general being more approachable we have far more asshats in games nowadays.

Actually that's one of the reasons I will never waste time on a free to play game. TF2 was great up until it went F2P and then it just started on a downward spiral. I'm sure Valve was happy to see the playerbase explode and all those people who could now look forward to spending money in their online store... but it killed the game for me.

So yeah, Free games (or F2P) is way worse than any normal game because the aforementioned 12 year olds don't even have to steal mommy's credit card to get to play.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#29
JKatarn posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Even moreso if it's taking place in an actual competitive mode.

Fair enough, but that's why I usually don't play competitive modes in games because I know there's going to be a forced meta-game and I don't like being pigeonholed into a specific strategy/playstyle and don't have/want to invest 500+ hours in a single game/handful of games, I prefer to experience a lot of different games in spurts. But yes, people that are just f***ing around, even in casual play modes annoy me. I'm by no means a perfect player, but I try.

I get not wanting to be pigeonholed into a specific meta or playstyle. That's fine. The people who bug me are those who get offered legit advice in a relatively polite manner on how to improve to help the team and turn around and go "LOL, nobody takes this seriously tryhard". You know the sort, the real men of genius who run directly into the enemy team alone and get wrecked while everyone else is set up on the cap point. And then they get pissy when you point out that their strategy needs a lil work.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
3 months ago#30
https://i.imgur.com/HlUJaF2.png

Why do you people feed these accounts?
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived