This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

User Info: Terribletruth69

Terribletruth69
3 months ago#51
I've been playing Overwatch since Beta. I see a toxic player in maybe 1 out of 30 games. It's not as common as people say it is. I put them on block and move on. No issue.

User Info: realfreako

realfreako
3 months ago#52
I played LoL S1 to S5 and people say that community is super toxic (it is tbh), but I played one ranked game of Rainbow Six Siege and that match was 1000x more toxic and rage inducing than anything I've seen on league.

The people aren't worse, but they have helluva lot more power to grief you. Imagine if you could friendly fire in league.
PSN: FreakoFreako

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 months ago#53
Terribletruth69 posted...
I've been playing Overwatch since Beta. I see a toxic player in maybe 1 out of 30 games. It's not as common as people say it is. I put them on block and move on. No issue.

Do you play competitive? It's more common in there with people complaining about every aspect of their team's performance.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
3 months ago#54
LenovoFan462 posted...
Oh girl, this behavior has been part of online communities way before mobas and hero shooters existed.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#55
JonWood007 posted...
These people think if you join their match you owe it to them to stay the entire time. It's like they literally think you should be chained to your desk and locked in a room. Screw real life, screw obligations. Try hards demand you stick around so their stats dont have to suffer.

Precisely why I generally avoid MOBAs/multi-player games in general and typically either play vs. AI co-op with a few friends, or the occasional unranked game (depending on game, and Overwatch is the only game in quite a while where I've actually played people). Of course the flipside to that, is in unranked you get people that don't even try/actively sabotage their teams because "lol, it's not ranked" - sure, but it would still be nice if you at least made an effort to take objectives etc.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

JKatarn
3 months ago#56
Cpt_Communism posted...
Because there are people who take these games too seriously. It's just a game, it has no impact on your life. There is no reason to be so emotionally invested.

Well, that's because you're a rational person. The most vocal people literally have nothing else going on in their lives/no other hobbies besides that game, their stats ARE their life/self-esteem. Granted, it IS annoying when somebody is being purposefully obtuse and screwing things up for everybody "for the lulz!", but if somebody's trying to play the game honestly, I see no reason to spew garbage at them.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 months ago#57
Cpt_Communism posted...
It's just a game, it has no impact on your life.

They think it does/will/should have an impact on their life when they go pro and rake in millions in endorsements and winnings.

Why do people take golf so seriously? Same reasons.

JKatarn
3 months ago#58
DaedalusEx posted...
Games = time. It's perfectly reasonable to get upset when someone wastes your time, regardless of what you were doing.

If you spent an hour building a card house and someone came up and knocked it down, would you not be upset because "it's just a card house, it has no impact on your life"?

I understand that, but you have to temper that with the understanding that when you're playing a game where your success depends not just on you, but on the performance of (well, unless you have a group of friends you can regularly play with) strangers you've never met, things probably aren't always going to be liquid smooth. Admittedly, I've gotten upset over idiots in an online game, but I ultimately realize that it's just a game, I can always get into another match/dungeon/raid etc etc etc, and my stats have no bearing on my real life.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#59
If you're not going to take the game somewhat seriously you've got no business queuing in the first place. Especially in a team game.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
3 months ago#60
This might have been said earlier, but it's probably because the internet allows people to interact with more people than the pre-internet era, as well as be completely anonymous. But at the same time, the "social acceptance filter" that others build towards you doesn't really exist online. We all know the internet rule: Normal People+Anonymity=****wad. So if you're already a jerk online, you automatically have a giant pool of people to mess with without much repercussion. If you decide to develop into a jerk, you have the freedom to do so without much restriction.

Before the internet took off, if you were an unpleasant person to deal with, you were shunned and ignored by people nearby. So you either had to: A) suck it up and get used to being alone, or B) change your ways so that people would be OK dealing with you. Who you could play with was limited to people in your surroundings, as well as how you were perceived as a person. If you played basketball once, and decided to smack-talk everyone's mother, destroy the backboard, and throw the basketball into the river? Well, you never played anything with those people again (and since people in your neighborhood talk to each other, you became a social pariah). Act like a douche online? Just make a new account, buy a new game, or move on to a sphere where nobody knows you.

Most people only really rein themselves in when they know they're being watched and being judged, and run the risk of being a permanent outcast from everything. That doesn't exist online.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived