This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#71
JKatarn posted...
my brother-in-law was telling me about somebody in ranked Overwatch who said flat out that they'd throw the game if everybody else on the team didn't play the character/way they wanted

That's easy to fix. Hand out permabans like candy on halloween
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: Dwavenhobble

Dwavenhobble
2 months ago#72
Because Morons started playing.

I've been in the team based shooter game since Tribes 2 where I was in a Clan who were ranked No.3 in the world on Clan Battles (the site that eventually became MLG many years later).

People whose only FPS etc experience is Call Of Duty have started flocking to the genre and trying to play it like a K/D game and trying to look all 1337.

Even in Mobas it's a problem of people wanting to play carry.

It makes the game toxic because when in a Moba (especially DOTA2) you're the only support with 4 carries you'll get s*** on and you have to shut it down early on by making it clear you're happy to give twice as hard as you get at the first sign of them starting complaining that you're not doing the job of 2 supports.

In Overwatch and Hero shooters I've watched people pick Tanks and sit back plinking at the enemy trying to whittle their health down and never pushing or trying for objectives. I've seen DPS players so dumb that standing behind Reinhardts shield so they didn't get shot to death was too much of a complex thing for them to understand.

You want people to stop being so toxic? Stop the morons who have 0 clue how to play for having any excuse for their ignorance. If that means forced tutorials for the basics of each class then so be it.

It's COD Kiddies or CODpieces who are half the problem because they don't want to be the A team, they want to be f***ing Rambo and when you have most of your team trying to be Rambo you lose.
I'm on youtube just like everyone else but still
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dwavenhobble

Dwavenhobble
2 months ago#73
The most well known Toxic player in DOTA 2 is a guy called Chuan.

He plays support.
He's also been part of a team that won a Dota 2 international and has been on teams invited to numerous DOTA 2 internationals. He is that damn good.

He's known in the pro scene for being toxic enough that he's reduced team-mates to tears before and had people have to leave pro teams because they just couldn't get on with him.

Think on that.

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
2 months ago#74
Dwavenhobble posted...
Because Morons started playing.

I've been in the team based shooter game since Tribes 2 where I was in a Clan who were ranked No.3 in the world on Clan Battles (the site that eventually became MLG many years later).

People whose only FPS etc experience is Call Of Duty have started flocking to the genre and trying to play it like a K/D game and trying to look all 1337.

Even in Mobas it's a problem of people wanting to play carry.

It makes the game toxic because when in a Moba (especially DOTA2) you're the only support with 4 carries you'll get s*** on and you have to shut it down early on by making it clear you're happy to give twice as hard as you get at the first sign of them starting complaining that you're not doing the job of 2 supports.

In Overwatch and Hero shooters I've watched people pick Tanks and sit back plinking at the enemy trying to whittle their health down and never pushing or trying for objectives. I've seen DPS players so dumb that standing behind Reinhardts shield so they didn't get shot to death was too much of a complex thing for them to understand.

You want people to stop being so toxic? Stop the morons who have 0 clue how to play for having any excuse for their ignorance. If that means forced tutorials for the basics of each class then so be it.

It's COD Kiddies or CODpieces who are half the problem because they don't want to be the A team, they want to be f***ing Rambo and when you have most of your team trying to be Rambo you lose.

They could cause a hero shooter to get repetetive occasionally since most of them discourage experimentation and want others to use the same character over and over.
"Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"

Dwavenhobble
2 months ago#75
LazyyAmerican posted...
Personal accountability can only go so far when there is always someone ready to exploit that mindset.

Yes and that goes for the people on the receiving ends sometimes who haven't been blameless angles but personally did things to cause people to have a go. Normally playing like a selfish a****** and not part of a team.

People can accept a screw up or a play going wrong. They have far more trouble accepting some-one whose seemingly playing an entirely different game and trying to get 1337 KDs or be a 1337 Sniper.

Orestes417 posted...

Depends on what you mean by "not pulling their weight". If you mean trying to win but lacking in skill that's one thing. If you mean f***ing around and basically putting your team in a worse position than if your slot were empty then that's another thing entirely. The former I can live with, the latter I've got zero tolerance for. Casual means less serious than competitive, it doesn't mean be an a****** who ruins the game for the rest of your team.

Lacking skill is one thing. Lacking basic logic and understanding is a far bigger issue in team games. Being even mediocre but playing as a team can get you to ruin an enemy.

As an example on one game on Battlefield 2142, I was the commander and I could see my team were outmatched skill wise by the enemy. It was very clear but I sent out orders and got people on my team co-ordinated. Set Squads to different tasks and when we got pushed back to the base (meaning the enemy was sieging the main base and I was watching as slowly my team got pushed back and lost the last few points I have 2 squads out setting it up to attack the enemy base. The moment their base was vulnerable I set a scout craft over and their entire base had only 1 person in it. Their commander. I sent out new orders to some of the squads who were defending our base to deploy and attack the enemy, some questioned the order (as it was seemingly bonkers) and I said the enemy base was empty and exposed, we were losing anyway and being pushed back so it was either we died trying to fend them off in our own base or to the team died fighting with a chance to win. The Squads took it, deployed to the enemy Titan and those remaining tried to hold down the last points of our base. With 0 enemies contesting them the squads I sent took 3 points in 30 seconds from landing and by the time the enemy realise and some enemies started to defend they were already set up in force to repel them and attack the points. It came down to the wire but we won not because the team was more skilled but because as a team we played better, know what to do and used strategy to win.

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
2 months ago#76
Dwavenhobble posted...
LazyyAmerican posted...
Personal accountability can only go so far when there is always someone ready to exploit that mindset.

Yes and that goes for the people on the receiving ends sometimes who haven't been blameless angles but personally did things to cause people to have a go. Normally playing like a selfish a****** and not part of a team.

People can accept a screw up or a play going wrong. They have far more trouble accepting some-one whose seemingly playing an entirely different game and trying to get 1337 KDs or be a 1337 Sniper.

Orestes417 posted...

Depends on what you mean by "not pulling their weight". If you mean trying to win but lacking in skill that's one thing. If you mean f***ing around and basically putting your team in a worse position than if your slot were empty then that's another thing entirely. The former I can live with, the latter I've got zero tolerance for. Casual means less serious than competitive, it doesn't mean be an a****** who ruins the game for the rest of your team.

Lacking skill is one thing. Lacking basic logic and understanding is a far bigger issue in team games. Being even mediocre but playing as a team can get you to ruin an enemy.

As an example on one game on Battlefield 2142, I was the commander and I could see my team were outmatched skill wise by the enemy. It was very clear but I sent out orders and got people on my team co-ordinated. Set Squads to different tasks and when we got pushed back to the base (meaning the enemy was sieging the main base and I was watching as slowly my team got pushed back and lost the last few points I have 2 squads out setting it up to attack the enemy base. The moment their base was vulnerable I set a scout craft over and their entire base had only 1 person in it. Their commander. I sent out new orders to some of the squads who were defending our base to deploy and attack the enemy, some questioned the order (as it was seemingly bonkers) and I said the enemy base was empty and exposed, we were losing anyway and being pushed back so it was either we died trying to fend them off in our own base or to the team died fighting with a chance to win. The Squads took it, deployed to the enemy Titan and those remaining tried to hold down the last points of our base. With 0 enemies contesting them the squads I sent took 3 points in 30 seconds from landing and by the time the enemy realise and some enemies started to defend they were already set up in force to repel them and attack the points. It came down to the wire but we won not because the team was more skilled but because as a team we played better, know what to do and used strategy to win.

The real question here is how did you get servers for Battlefield 2142.
"Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"

Dwavenhobble
2 months ago#77
PlayerAnonymous posted...

The real question here is how did you get servers for Battlefield 2142.

I played it back before EA killed the game

User Info: quinikk

quinikk
2 months ago#78
I played DotA since 2006. Even back then games would often lead to fistfights.
Just let it go, alright.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
2 months ago#79
Dwavenhobble posted...
I played it back before EA killed the game

Game's not dead. The rveivebf2 people brought it back
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#80
Orestes417 posted...
That's easy to fix. Hand out permabans like candy on halloween

Given the fact that they let this one player (not the guy I'm referencing, I heard about this really toxic player that had been reported countless times over several years with nothing happening) accumulate thousands of reports over several years of plays without repercussions, I'm guessing that ain't happening ;)
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How did MOBAs and Hero Shooters get so toxic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived