This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rendering a 4K Video. Windows 10 just restarted my PC!?!?! WHAT THE f***!?!?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Rendering a 4K Video. Windows 10 just restarted my PC!?!?! WHAT THE f***!?!?

User Info: WhiteRosse

WhiteRosse
4 weeks ago#31
Just wait until you see the next one.
Entire new OS install while you are in a middle of something.
Xbox One X

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#32
Kerr Avon posted...
shmirlywhirl posted...
A lot of people didn't know what they were getting themselves in to with the free Windows 10 upgrade. But if you paid attention none of this would be surprising. As many have stated there are ways around it.

It's annoying and unfortunate that you've had a bad experience, but I wouldn't consider this Microsoft's fault.

Of course it's Microsoft's fault. They made this the behaviour of Windows, instead of always defaulting to asking before resetting. Tell me how it could *ever* be a good idea for M$ to force Windows to reset without asking the user? It would be bad enough in a games console, where all the user would lose at most would be some in-game progress, but Windows is used for all sorts of creative work (programming, video editing, writing a novel, making music, spreadsheets, etc) and so potential losses due to an unauthorised (by the user) reset are much, much more important, and can even cost the user money due to lost work.

And saying that it's a well known problem with a commonly known work around is not an excuse, the problem should not exist at all. Windows has been around for more than thirty years, it's the biggest selling program of all time, and has gone through many revisions, and by now there should be *no* stupid flaws, it should be about as well designed and thought-through as anything can be in this world.

I'm going to have to agree - generally I'm a proponent of Windows 10, but there's really no excusing Windows restarting while an application is running. "But...there's a workaround" doesn't excuse a glaring design flaw. You're telling me Microsoft's programmers couldn't figure out a way to delay an update if the CPU is seeing high usage/there's an application running in the foreground? Ludicrous.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#33
WhiteRosse posted...

They already did that with the "do you want your FREE windows upgrade?!"
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: WhiteRosse

WhiteRosse
4 weeks ago#34
DarkZV2Beta posted...
WhiteRosse posted...

They already did that with the "do you want your FREE windows upgrade?!"

And they've secretly done it two more times after that.
1) Anniversary Update
2) Creators Update.

Next is Fall Creators Update.
You might as well call it Windows 13.
Xbox One X

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#35
DarkZV2Beta posted...
A solution for a hammer hitting your thumb periodically is not to hit your thumb intentionally sometimes, nor is it to tell the hammer that it can hit your thumb every friday between the hours of six and eight pee ehm.
The only solutions at this time are to disable Windows Update entirely, or to use a different OS.

Or you learn how to use a f***ing hammer and don't f***ing hit yourself. Holy s*** you people are dumb.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 weeks ago#36
Switch to a real operating system.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#37
https://i.imgur.com/CgonQiB.png
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. | http://hwbot.org/user/secretdragoon/
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#38
wildog2006 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
A solution for a hammer hitting your thumb periodically is not to hit your thumb intentionally sometimes, nor is it to tell the hammer that it can hit your thumb every friday between the hours of six and eight pee ehm.
The only solutions at this time are to disable Windows Update entirely, or to use a different OS.

Or you learn how to use a f***ing hammer and don't f***ing hit yourself. Holy s*** you people are dumb.

Right, disabling the update service entirely.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Blue_Thunder

Blue_Thunder
4 weeks ago#39
DarkZV2Beta posted...
wildog2006 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Right, disabling the update service entirely.

Disabling == getting rid of the hammer.
FC: 2724-1435-8055 - IGN: PSI_BLUE
Spelling errors make me laugh.

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
4 weeks ago#40
A solution for a hammer hitting your thumb periodically is to move your thumb out of the way, or not be near the hammer when it's hitting periodically
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Rendering a 4K Video. Windows 10 just restarted my PC!?!?! WHAT THE f***!?!?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived