This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can a bad storage drive cause a computer to not boot?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can a bad storage drive cause a computer to not boot?

User Info: Duarian

Duarian
3 months ago#1
I've never encountered this issue before, so I figured I would get some input. I have three hard drives in my computer - one 256gb SSD for OS, 1 - 1TB mechanical for storage, and 1 - 1TB SSD for games and whatnot.

All of the sudden last night my computer locked up, and now it refuses to boot up unless I unplug my 1TB SSD. The system just hangs at the bios splash screen, and I can't do anything. I tried booting up into windows without it, and plugging it in and seeing if it recognizes it but it does not. I'm assuming it's a bad drive.. but why would a drive that has nothing to do with the boot cause it to lock up in post?

User Info: ApexMjolnir

ApexMjolnir
3 months ago#2
Yeah. especially if it is the boot drive.

This is why I never use SSD anymore.
If what I said doesn't makes sense... it's because you don't want it to make sense.

User Info: Duarian

Duarian
3 months ago#3
ApexMjolnir posted...
Yeah. especially if it is the boot drive.

This is why I never use SSD anymore.

That's the odd thing, it's not the boot drive. Just a storage drive.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 months ago#4
The S.M.A.R.T feature has given me an error message at POST and prompted me to go into the BIOS before I could boot into Windows. It also severely lenghtened the whole boot process.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 months ago#5
If you got a bad one yes.

SSDs are reliable now and HDDs last longer then SSDs.
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#6
If you're waiting at the BIOS screen and it won't go further that's probably because the drive isn't responding and so BIOS is still waiting. You should probably leave it unplugged while you boot up, then if it's SATA and you can hot swap it just plug it in later and see if you can get your stuff off of it...otherwise it may be like Kenshiro says to his hard drives.
https://i.imgur.com/RWz11eY.jpg
"You are already dead."
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: zxxcman

zxxcman
3 months ago#7
I can't see why not.
I've had issues where my computer froze because a storage HDD tried to read from a bad sector, so unless the computer is set up to not access any drive aside from the boot one till the OS is ready, a bad storage drive can cause it to not boot.
I used to have a good signature, then I got modded for it.
Now I shall try to think of something edgier to put here.

User Info: gundamaniacx20a

gundamaniacx20a
3 months ago#8
Yep, happened to my brother aew months ago. Pulled bad drive out, pc booted.
PSN: RX--Zero
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/167749/

User Info: FaultBoy

FaultBoy
3 months ago#9
happened to me
the computer spends several minutes trying to recongize the bad drive and failing
unplug it and boots instantly

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 months ago#10
I've never had my pc not boot but a dying, rarely used storage drive (not my boot drive) caused me all kinds of hell for several months before I finally figured out that it was the problem. It definitely wasn't problems I'd generally attribute to an unused dying drive but as soon as I pulled it out my pc was as good as a clean install without having to do the reinstall.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can a bad storage drive cause a computer to not boot?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived