This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Racing games worth it without a steering wheel?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Racing games worth it without a steering wheel?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#11
R0N1N187 posted...
Dont bother getting a racing wheel if you cant get the full setup (triple monitors, racing seat, racing wheel, pedals, etc).

Ok I doubt the triple monitor thing is a necessity. But I would recommend the rest of those though.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: lightningbugx

lightningbugx
1 month ago#12
Do they have steering wheels that actually operate like a steering wheel in a real vehicle? You know, a steering wheel that can rotate like 500 to 600 degrees to the left or right from neutral.
Ryzen 1800X, 16GB 3600 MHz CAS15 DDR4, 2x Radeon R9 390X, GA-AX370-Gaming K7
x86 is holding back PCs.

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
1 month ago#13
R0N1N187 posted...
Dont bother getting a racing wheel if you cant get the full setup (triple monitors, racing seat, racing wheel, pedals, etc).

VR is where its at now my friend. VR with a wheel is magnificent. We need better resolution vr however, but it will come. Even with current headsets, it's absolutely incredible how immersive the games can be.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1

DV8ingSources
1 month ago#14
lightningbugx posted...
Do they have steering wheels that actually operate like a steering wheel in a real vehicle? You know, a steering wheel that can rotate like 500 to 600 degrees to the left or right from neutral.

Absolutely. My fanatec and many others only hit 900 degrees total but that gives you a solid turn and half off center. The force feedback on current wheels if you are willing to spend 300+ is fantastic as well. You can get full 6+1 shifters and all sorts of goodies to up your sim game. If you can afford it, you can even get direct drive wheels that are incredibly accurate, use real rims, and are strong enough to hurt you many times over.

Sim diehards can spend a lot of dosh. I recommend a decent forcefeedback wheel as a starting point though. Everything else is just fluff that improves the experience but not economically feasible for most of us.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#15
Yep. Good racing games are still good with a controller.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#16
If you can afford one great. Go out and get one it is deffenitly better.

If you cant a controller works just fine.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Setzera

Setzera
1 month ago#17
I just got in to it myself, on a budget I picked up the new Thrustmaster TMX wheel last month to see if it was for me, turns out I'm loving it. It also has add-ons, so I Just picked up TH8A shifter this week. Will upgrade the pedals later as budget allows.

Might be worth going that route if you're unsure about investing a bigger amount up front.

I was so/so on sim racing games before because I lacked control with a controller, wheel is much easier for me. Arcadey racers I'd probably use controller still.

User Info: Cobra1010

Cobra1010
1 month ago#18
I dont see the point in using steering wheel and pedals when you dont feel the g-forces of when you are in a car.

And on top of that, looking at a flat screen with like 40 degrees field of view in cockpit/dashboard mode, i dont know how people can withstand it.

I say, with VRs now available. All racing games that try to be realistic, u know just any game thats not need for speed or burnout, they should all be played with VR. Then using wheel and pedals becomes legitimate.
GG Riot - http://i.imgur.com/PinGPhR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png

User Info: CursedPanther

CursedPanther
1 month ago#19
Cobra1010 posted...
I dont see the point in using steering wheel and pedals when you dont feel the g-forces of when you are in a car.

And on top of that, looking at a flat screen with like 40 degrees field of view in cockpit/dashboard mode, i dont know how people can withstand it.

I say, with VRs now available. All racing games that try to be realistic, u know just any game thats not need for speed or burnout, they should all be played with VR. Then using wheel and pedals becomes legitimate.

But you still won't feel the G-force with VR? You only get to have more consistent images of your surrounding with the headset, instead of a whole bunch of screen borders.

DV8ingSources
1 month ago#20
CursedPanther posted...
Cobra1010 posted...

But you still won't feel the G-force with VR? You only get to have more consistent images of your surrounding with the headset, instead of a whole bunch of screen borders.

With a wheel you have force feedback that is infinitely better than the feedback you get from a controller. Even the new impulse triggers in the forza games on pc are no match for the amount of feeling you can get from good ffb.

Anyone using g-forces as a reason not to play with a wheel is just being silly. Even full motion cockpits don't provide realistic g-forces and to be honest I wouldn't strap myself into something capable of providing them for safety reasons xD

The VR aspect is a lot more than that too. VR provides incredible stereoscopic 3d as well as having perfect 1 to 1 head motion tracking which includes all 6 axis'. It is nothing like strapping a monitor to your head with head tracking. That's ignorance towards vr at its finest.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Racing games worth it without a steering wheel?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived