This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

User Info: RP_Grump

RP_Grump
2 months ago#11
Joke topic. E-sports are a joke and will never be taken seriously lol. I guess nerds will take them seriously but the rest of society won't. I remember when I found out they'd do WoW events and would have guys literally sitting at a desk with headphones doing a commentary while the players competed. I nearly fell out of my chair from laughing. I have nothing against WoW, LoL, any game they have competitions for but you are insane or delusional if you think video games will be considered a real sport. There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it. You'll never see anyone take you seriously if you try likening some kid on a couch as an athlete to real ones.

And for the record, I only care about two sports and am not a huge sports fan but the idea anyone thinks this is a remote possibility is amusing. Keep dreaming.

User Info: Shinobi120

Shinobi120
2 months ago#12
PlayerAnonymous posted...
A future where gamers are under the control of sponsors and are motivated by their lust for money and not for their love and passion for gaming.

RP_Grump posted...
Joke topic. E-sports are a joke and will never be taken seriously lol. I guess nerds will take them seriously but the rest of society won't. I remember when I found out they'd do WoW events and would have guys literally sitting at a desk with headphones doing a commentary while the players competed. I nearly fell out of my chair from laughing. I have nothing against WoW, LoL, any game they have competitions for but you are insane or delusional if you think video games will be considered a real sport. There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it. You'll never see anyone take you seriously if you try likening some kid on a couch as an athlete to real ones.

And for the record, I only care about two sports and am not a huge sports fan but the idea anyone thinks this is a remote possibility is amusing. Keep dreaming.

Exactly.

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
2 months ago#13
Hahaha, no.

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
2 months ago#14
I don't watch any sports, and I don't watch any e-sports. In all the decades I've gamed I've never had much interest in watching other people play video games. I prefer to play them myself.

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#15
RP_Grump posted...
you are insane or delusional if you think video games will be considered a real sport

You sure about that? Viewership for almost every traditional sport is on the decline, while viewership for e-sports is increasing. The trend is only going to continue as more older folks kick the bucket and kids raised on video games replace them.

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
2 months ago#16
RP_Grump posted...
There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it. You'll never see anyone take you seriously if you try likening some kid on a couch as an athlete to real ones.

Not even remotely true. Esports players train more than regular sports athletes do. It's not even close. Starcraft players literally practice for 12 hours a day, every day, with a couple of personal days a month. They practice so much that it's a legitimate threat to their health. When there's millions of dollars at stake, people will go to extreme measures to get it.

You can hate esports for numerous reasons, but claiming that it's too easy to be an expert at it is ridiculous. Further, it conflates two entirely different methods of becoming proficient because practice really isn't the most important aspect of most traditional sports; proper rest and diet is. Most professional athletes spend the bulk of their time resting their bodies, eating, and sleeping. It's a huge part of their lives. The exact opposite is true about esports.

The biggest reason why esports will never be mainstream like traditional sports is simply due to the steep learning curve being a barrier to entry. There's far too much information to absorb to understand as a passive watcher. You have to play the game to understand all of the mechanics at play and what's really going on other than "Team A is winning because they have more players alive this round and they're ahead in score." There's always going to be a stigma that it's just kids playing games which is a factor as well, but the learning curve is much more of an issue than that.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: Cool_Dude667

Cool_Dude667
2 months ago#17
Starcraft is a sport. They are viewed as celebrities in Korea, there are stories of sport stars looking up to gosu players like Boxer, Jaedong etc
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
2 months ago#18
Oh, and I'd like to add as a general point that claiming that TBS choosing to show a CS:GO match instead of Blades of Glory is a major point for Esports is like claiming that my decision to choose to drink the milk in front of me right now instead of eating spoiled turkey is a powerful endorsement of milk.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
2 months ago#19
MasteroftheArts posted...
RP_Grump posted...
There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it. You'll never see anyone take you seriously if you try likening some kid on a couch as an athlete to real ones.

Not even remotely true. Esports players train more than regular sports athletes do. It's not even close. Starcraft players literally practice for 12 hours a day, every day, with a couple of personal days a month. They practice so much that it's a legitimate threat to their health. When there's millions of dollars at stake, people will go to extreme measures to get it.

You can hate esports for numerous reasons, but claiming that it's too easy to be an expert at it is ridiculous. Further, it conflates two entirely different methods of becoming proficient because practice really isn't the most important aspect of most traditional sports; proper rest and diet is. Most professional athletes spend the bulk of their time resting their bodies, eating, and sleeping. It's a huge part of their lives. The exact opposite is true about esports.

The biggest reason why esports will never be mainstream like traditional sports is simply due to the steep learning curve being a barrier to entry. There's far too much information to absorb to understand as a passive watcher. You have to play the game to understand all of the mechanics at play and what's really going on other than "Team A is winning because they have more players alive this round and they're ahead in score." There's always going to be a stigma that it's just kids playing games which is a factor as well, but the learning curve is much more of an issue than that.

That's why I'll never call them gamers; most of them dont care about video games, they only care about money and others. I even met some e-sport fans from Singapore who support microtransactions and called me a casual for hating them, as expected from singaporeans.
"Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
2 months ago#20
The best part of it is how incredibly butthurt normies get about it.
It's like a social Chernobyl.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived