This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
2 months ago#41
CharREX posted...
MasteroftheArts posted...

The biggest reason why esports will never be mainstream like traditional sports is simply due to the steep learning curve being a barrier to entry. There's far too much information to absorb to understand as a passive watcher. You have to play the game to understand all of the mechanics at play and what's really going on other than "Team A is winning because they have more players alive this round and they're ahead in score." There's always going to be a stigma that it's just kids playing games which is a factor as well, but the learning curve is much more of an issue than that.

No way that is the reason. It more of "stigma that it's just kids playing games" than anything else. Just look at the NBA games, the high learning curve doesn't stop passive watcher from watching it. I guarantee you most passive people that watches the NBA only thinks "Team A is winning because they scored more points".

You don't have to play basketball to understand how the game is played. You can adequately explain the fundamentals of the game in a single page. There is no steep learning curve to understanding basketball. Dota 2 has 112 heroes, each of which have at the minimum 4 skills, 8 talents, and around 150 items you can buy. There is literally no way to understand what is happening on more than a superficial level than Team A has more points than Team B unless you actually play the game. It simply can't be done.

I've sat down with several people who aren't gamers at all while watching The International, and their immediate reaction was sheer befuddlement. It's just sprites moving around and a bunch of bright flashes to them. What the hell does a 12 minute blink on puck mean?

This is less true for FPS games and fighting games because there isn't the degree of complexity that MOBA's have, but it's largely still true. You aren't going to know what's really going on unless you've played it yourself.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: PlayerAnonymous

PlayerAnonymous
2 months ago#42
CharREX posted...

The biggest reason why esports will never be mainstream like traditional sports is simply due to the steep learning curve being a barrier to entry. There's far too much information to absorb to understand as a passive watcher. You have to play the game to understand all of the mechanics at play and what's really going on other than "Team A is winning because they have more players alive this round and they're ahead in score." There's always going to be a stigma that it's just kids playing games which is a factor as well, but the learning curve is much more of an issue than that.

No way that is the reason. It more of "stigma that it's just kids playing games" than anything else. Just look at the NBA games, the high learning curve doesn't stop passive watcher from watching it. I guarantee you most passive people that watches the NBA only thinks "Team A is winning because they scored more points".

You don't have to play basketball to understand how the game is played. You can adequately explain the fundamentals of the game in a single page. There is no steep learning curve to understanding basketball. Dota 2 has 112 heroes, each of which have at the minimum 4 skills, 8 talents, and around 150 items you can buy. There is literally no way to understand what is happening on more than a superficial level than Team A has more points than Team B unless you actually play the game. It simply can't be done.

I've sat down with several people who aren't gamers at all while watching The International, and their immediate reaction was sheer befuddlement. It's just sprites moving around and a bunch of bright flashes to them. What the hell does a 12 minute blink on puck mean?

This is less true for FPS games and fighting games because there isn't the degree of complexity that MOBA's have, but it's largely still true. You aren't going to know what's really going on unless you've played it yourself.

But for some reason, MOBAs, Fighting, and FPS games have the most casual fans.
"Better part of valor! Better part of valor!"

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
2 months ago#43
But I guarantee you that they've played the games before. That's the thing; normal sports have evolved into pure spectacles which is what makes them so popular; anyone can just flip a channel to a game and pick up what's going on in less than a minute. Esports aren't like that. With few exceptions they're games that were meant to be played first, and watched second.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: BearShrooms

BearShrooms
2 months ago#44
I don't watch people do things that I can do myself. Can I do it at a pro-gamers level? No, but I'd rather be doing than watching when it's an option.

User Info: Izicial

Izicial
2 months ago#45
kobalobasileus posted...
I will agree that esports are just as bad as real sports...

This guy gets it.

User Info: Legolas432

Legolas432
2 months ago#46
Are you serious? Some of these comments are just cringeworthy, if you really think if a "pro gamer" is a athlete you have to be one of the biggest nerds on the planet. "they train 12 hours a day" 1 HOURS A DAY OF PLAYING A GAME LMAO. In what world is playing 12 hours a day healthy? Athletes train everyday getting in shape, doing exercises and training, not staring at a screen and pressing buttons. You really think a mma fighter(mixed martial arts, you probably didn't know that cause you guys think video games are sports) you really think you can compare a mma fighter to a "pro gamer" lmao, this is just sad and cringeworthy.

User Info: VideoboysaysCube

VideoboysaysCube
2 months ago#47
Shinobi120 posted...
There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it.

So I guess professional gamers are just born that good?
This sentence has five words. This sentence has eight words. Only one sentence in this signature is true.

User Info: Legolas432

Legolas432
2 months ago#48
VideoboysaysCube posted...
Shinobi120 posted...
There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it.

Athletes training is a lot harder then pressing buttons lol. Haver you ever left done any physical excise before?

User Info: Izicial

Izicial
2 months ago#49
Legolas432 posted...
Are you serious? Some of these comments are just cringeworthy, if you really think if a "pro gamer" is a athlete you have to be one of the biggest nerds on the planet. "they train 12 hours a day" 1 HOURS A DAY OF PLAYING A GAME LMAO. In what world is playing 12 hours a day healthy? Athletes train everyday getting in shape, doing exercises and training, not staring at a screen and pressing buttons. You really think a mma fighter(mixed martial arts, you probably didn't know that cause you guys think video games are sports) you really think you can compare a mma fighter to a "pro gamer" lmao, this is just sad and cringeworthy.

You do realize that many pro athletes have major health problems right? Or is smashing into each other and causing permanete brain damage no longer a health issue?

Heavy drinking of sugary fluids causes lots of tooth problems (most common among marathon runners).

The fact of the matter is most things are bad for you in excess. Exercising for 8 hours a day is horrible for your joints and sitting for 8 hours straight is bad for you as well.

User Info: Shinobi120

Shinobi120
2 months ago#50
VideoboysaysCube posted...
Shinobi120 posted...

I never wrote that comment.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived