This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

User Info: Skyrazer

Skyrazer
4 weeks ago#91
People really need to stop with the sports/esports comparisons. They are not the same, full stop and whoever decided to call it "esports" is an idiot and is where the problem started. It should just be called "competitive gaming".

However, you can't argue that these games are highly competitive and getting to the top of these games takes alot of skill and effort.
Life - A sexually transmitted disease that always results in death.

User Info: Etner

Etner
4 weeks ago#92
To Legolas about MMA fighters or UFC fighters being injured:

http://nypost.com/2017/06/18/former-ufc-fighter-dies-of-brain-injury-after-boxing-knockout/

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/2/5865673/nagging-injury-forces-veteran-matt-hamill-back-into-retirement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatalities_in_mixed_martial_arts_contests

Carvalho , nicknamed 'The Mongrel', tragically passed away on April 11 after injuries sustained during his fight with Charlie Ward just days before.

^ Taken from http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/joao-carvalho-death-lead-conor-7791957

User Info: youshallbeasgod

youshallbeasgod
4 weeks ago#93
Skyrazer posted...
whoever decided to call it "esports" is an idiot and is where the problem started.

They are marketing geniuses, look at the the amount of discussion it generates.
Relax, it's just a game.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
4 weeks ago#94
Legolas432 posted...
VideoboysaysCube posted...
Shinobi120 posted...
There's dozens of reasons why they won't but one in particular is it's an insult to real athletes that dedicate their time and focus to the sport and train for it.

So I guess professional gamers are just born that good?

Athletes training is a lot harder then pressing buttons lol. Haver you ever left done any physical excise before?

To be a pro Starcraft 2 player its more than just pressing buttons its pressing buttons so fast that most people can't even do it. Sure some of these games don't take an extreme number of button presses in a short time to be considered good but some do. Acting like any joe blow off the street can be a top level SC player is a f***ing joke.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Regil, Shion, Blaze

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
4 weeks ago#95
Etner posted...
I was on Masteroftheart's side until he started the flame war. I still am mostly, but I wish you had stuck to just ripping apart Legolas's paper thin arguments and s***ty points.

In my defense, I only started making fun of him when he decided to make it personal. The reason I'm not continuing to cordially respond to his points is because there's nothing left. He's just spouting the same sophomoric bulls*** over and over again. After a certain point, the only thing left to do is point and laugh at the village idiot.

Case in point: What did he respond to your insightful comment with?

Listen you nerd i don't have time to read your sentence talking about gamers are better and somehow more skillful then athletes. MMA is actually a very safe sport despite what you think, name one ufc fighter with permanent damage, please go ahead ill wait.

If you want to continue arguing with that, you're free to. I'm more content just making fun of how he doesn't seem to know how to use a computer.

Anyone who knows anything about high level esports understands just how much concentration and skill it requires to consistently play on that level. The video I posted was 400apm. That's around 6 to 7 actions a second. Imagine performing that many keystrokes or clicks for 12 hours a day every day, with the only rest times being going to the bathroom, eating, sleeping, and queuing up for another game. Of course that's the extreme end, but it's still a reality. No physical athlete works that hard at their craft. Not even close.

Edit: Oh, and heads up. You will be called a nerd for pointing out the MMA injury statistics. It's his way of saying he loves you.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."

User Info: Ajenla

Ajenla
4 weeks ago#96
Legolas432 posted...
Etner posted...
I was on Masteroftheart's side until he started the flame war. I still am mostly, but I wish you had stuck to just ripping apart Legolas's paper thin arguments and s***ty points.

So, just want to say that eSports might eventually reach the level of Sports, but it'll take a while. The problem with eSports is that you have to grow up in an area or family where you have access to a decent amount of money. You have to have money for consoles or a good PC to run said games well and play them constantly. Meaning you have no other obligations. Whereas for your standard athletic sports, you can train by spending $10 at your local store on a football or soccer ball or tennis racket set or something of that nature and use it. It's far cheaper.

Secondly, eSports unfortunately is surrounded by poisonous viper sponsors that just want to milk the scene. Which sucks, because most of the people that game at a high level really care about eSports or the game itself. Additionally, most eSports gamers are selfish. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but most traditional athletes give back to their communities by using their money to repair or build new buildings that will enhance or restore the areas they came from before they got famous. Additionally, athletes are paid a ridiculous amount of money for their contracts. Gamers... not so much, though feel free to correct me on that.

Okay, now onto Legolas. There are several issues with your poorly formed arguments.

1) Saying overly false stuff like "permanent injury never happens in "real" sports" is about the biggest load of horses*** I've ever seen in my life. Plenty of MMA fighters (men and women) have been injured into retirement. Not even counting that, permanent damage occurs from the sport itself, as it can be quite brutal. NFL has a MASSIVE reputation for head trauma. American football players suffering permanent brain damage is, unfortunately, a common thing. Moreso than I care to admit.

2) Pro gamers practice way more than an hour or two a day. It's entirely common for top level players to spend entire days for weeks on end practicing to ensure they remain at the top of their game. Yes, they're not healthy. Know why? Because they spend all that time practicing. It's incredibly taxing, leaving very little room for relationships or family or most friendships. A lot of sacrifice goes into that kind of life.

3) Using terms like "lol I have a life unlike those gamers" doesn't do anything. The entire phrase has always been bullies or straight up a******s trying to be superior on the social ladder. What's it matter if someone plays games all day? Even if you don't count pro gamers, people that play games are entirely capable of having healthy friendships and lifestyles if they so choose. It's all about balance. Don't try and pull something like that you justify yourself in a completely irrelevant manner.

4) Pro gamers suffer from something standard athletes never will, being mental exhaustion. This is especially prevalent in the FGC at EVO where they have to perform at their absolute best for hours on end with no slip ups in order to remain the best. It drastically takes a toll on one's psyche.

Listen you nerd i don't have time to read your sentence talking about gamers are better and somehow more skillful then athletes. MMA is actually a very safe sport despite what you think, name one ufc fighter with permanent damage, please go ahead ill wait.

I wonder, were you able to keep a straight face while typing this? I'd be laughing so much I'd have to go to bed before posting this.

You're good man. My conscience doesn't let me think like that, let alone talk to other people like that.
PAD Name: Omari, 349, 648, 350 Revo Bastet(Main), Revo Yomi, Revo Shiva, Blue Hunter, Yog Sogoth, Fenrir(pending)

User Info: BigTee66

BigTee66
4 weeks ago#97
ill stick with drone racing
MSI Z170-A PRO LGA 1151 | i5 6500K | ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 | 8GB DDR4 x 2 | EVGA 650W | Inwin 703 Black |
Steam: teeman92

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
4 weeks ago#98
Legolas432 posted...

Lol, you are clueless. There have been deaths in MMA before, I'd say that's pretty permanent. Sam Vasquez and Michael Kirkham most notably. Also Jeff Dunbar was paralyzed after his fight.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: AceTheFace

AceTheFace
4 weeks ago#99
Watch losers that live in thier parents basement or watch thugs play sports. Both are not good.

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
4 weeks ago#100
If you can call gaming "esports"

Then I can call this topic the dips*** olympics.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. eSports is the future, deal with it. It's just as good as real sports.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived