This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
3 months ago#31
I like how he deleted his whole Steam account allegedly. What a waste of money (or maybe he didn't even pay that much to them to begin with).

User Info: GM_

GM_
3 months ago#32
Okay bye then
PC mustarded rice

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#33
DaedalusEx posted...
Covering things up or pushing them out of sight doesn't make them go away, makes them worse in fact because you're removing the ability to engage and pushback against those ideas in a way that can change minds.

In theory I agree with you, in reality the people that actually buy into that crap are typically incredibly dense/have drunk so much of the "Kool Aid" that they've lost all contact with reality. Trying to change their mind is almost as futile as trying to explain Quantum Mechanics to a toddler.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 months ago#34
ok bye.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: 50inchDLP

50inchDLP
3 months ago#35
OMG I SAW MEAN THINGS ON THE INTERNET!!! AND I CANT GET THEM SILENCED!!

Freedom of speech and expression really eats up these little fascist authoritarians.

Good riddance to this weak, pathetic fool.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thereal50inchDLP -My youtube http://otrarchive.blogspot.com/2014/02/fibber-mcgee-and-molly.html -Best show ever

User Info: KaiRyusaki

KaiRyusaki
3 months ago#36
Literally who?

Also, literally who gives a f***?

I don't know who's more pathetic, the sr editor at some website no one goes to who quits over a stupid reason
or everyone in this thread

User Info: ImaPC

ImaPC
3 months ago#37
Valve doesn't need to change a thing. It's not their job to moderate, censor, or silence players and community groups because a few cupcakes are upset by them. Valve being pretty much hands-off with the whole thing is one of the nice things about Steam. People should be able to create community groups about whatever they want.

I'm so sick and tired of people like the writer of that article and that Firewatch developer. You guys are just as bad as the people and groups you attack. These people want censorship and silence. It's either you're with them in 100% or you're a racist, a bigot, or whatever. A deplorable.

Society has gone downhill big-time, and it isn't because of Nazi sympathizers, racists, anti-lgbt-whatever... It's the people who are shoving political correctness and social justice down everyones throat.
(message deleted)

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
3 months ago#39
DaedalusEx posted...
Terantatek posted...
Guys.. the point is steam shouldn't even have those dark alleyways or communities. They should be removed like racists or anti lgbtq need to be eliminated and cleansed irl.

Covering things up or pushing them out of sight doesn't make them go away, makes them worse in fact because you're removing the ability to engage and pushback against those ideas in a way that can change minds.

Getting rid of those communities on a gaming platform doesn't mean it's nixed from existence. There's no reason for a board or community for that to exist in the first place. Removing it isn't equal to trying to block out everything negative from your life. It's being a respectfull human being and removing something unecessary. If you can't see that I'm sorry for you.

Stuff has a place. I don't want to go to a grocery store and there be a racist section that exists. It's the same for steam. And trying to remove a racist section from a grocery store I bet would make you say "well just don't pay attention to it" which IS a problem to have that mindset.

Have a good day.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hP6BCy
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
3 months ago#40
ClunkerSlim posted...
Great. Go plead that case in GameFAQs' "Ask a Mod" forum and see how far you get. Steam is not a public exercise in free speech for hate groups. It's a business. There's appropriate discussion for that venue and some discussions that just don't belong.

There's a difference between company run forums like GameFAQs and the user created communities of Steam, which is something more akin to Reddit. By all means, let the company run their forums how they see fit. I don't think they should tell players what they're allowed to talk about in their own communities. I also don't think free speech should only be practiced in designated areas. The internet is a ubiquitous form of communication now; it's the modern public square, and it needs to be protected the same way.

JKatarn posted...
Trying to change their mind is almost as futile as trying to explain Quantum Mechanics to a toddler.

You're not only trying to change their mind, you're also providing a counter-viewpoint to be seen alongside theirs which hopefully prevents influenceable people that are listening to the conversation from being persuaded.

But even if it's tough we still have to try. Look at someone like Megan Phelps-Roper. She was a devout member of the Westboro Baptist Church until someone started a dialogue with her. She left the church and is now one of the most effective voices we have in combating hate because she has lived the experience. We need allies like that to win the war of ideas, and we don't get them if we push them to the fringes of society.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived