This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
4 weeks ago#41
ImaPC posted...
Valve doesn't need to change a thing. It's not their job to moderate, censor, or silence players and community groups because a few cupcakes are upset by them. Valve being pretty much hands-off with the whole thing is one of the nice things about Steam. People should be able to create community groups about whatever they want.

I'm so sick and tired of people like the writer of that article and that Firewatch developer. You guys are just as bad as the people and groups you attack. These people want censorship and silence. It's either you're with them in 100% or you're a racist, a bigot, or whatever. A deplorable.

Society has gone downhill big-time, and it isn't because of Nazi sympathizers, racists, anti-lgbt-whatever... It's the people who are shoving political correctness and social justice down everyones throat.

I'm sorry, but a nazi community platform existing is more acceptable than people vocally being against that? Wtf is this 1936?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hP6BCy
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: ImaPC

ImaPC
4 weeks ago#42
Terantatek posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Terantatek posted...
Guys.. the point is steam shouldn't even have those dark alleyways or communities. They should be removed like racists or anti lgbtq need to be eliminated and cleansed irl.

Covering things up or pushing them out of sight doesn't make them go away, makes them worse in fact because you're removing the ability to engage and pushback against those ideas in a way that can change minds.

Getting rid of those communities on a gaming platform doesn't mean it's nixed from existence. There's no reason for a board or community for that to exist in the first place. Removing it isn't equal to trying to block out everything negative from your life. It's being a respectfull human being and removing something unecessary. If you can't see that I'm sorry for you.

Stuff has a place. I don't want to go to a grocery store and there be a racist section that exists. It's the same for steam. And trying to remove a racist section from a grocery store I bet would make you say "well just don't pay attention to it" which IS a problem to have that mindset.

Have a good day.

There is no racist section on Steam. The Store and community groups are a completely different thing. There is no reason you should even see a racist community group, unless you're actively looking for it or someone points it out to you.

User Info: mogexpress1

mogexpress1
4 weeks ago#43
Asking valve to hire people is like asking an Eskimo to buy some ice

Is this his first time investigating valve?
RIP This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
4 weeks ago#44
Terantatek posted...
I'm sorry, but a nazi community platform existing is more acceptable than people vocally being against that? Wtf is this 1936?

The issue isn't being vocally against it, it's attempting to silence it. And yes, the person trying to silence someone is worse than the person that's just expressing an idea.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
4 weeks ago#45
DaedalusEx posted...
Terantatek posted...

The issue isn't being vocally against it, it's attempting to silence it. And yes, the person trying to silence someone is worse than the person that's just expressing an idea.

Totally disagree. Some "ideas" have absolutely no business being free to be expressed. Anything that outright promotes bigotry and violence should be silenced. No one deserves the freedom to spread hate.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#46
Terantatek posted...

Nah, it's 2016, the time when people are finally beginning to understand that even though you have a right to your opinion and to express it, you don't have the right to (en)force it on someone else. At least not without their consent or possession of legal guardianship over them, and even then there are legal restrictions on just exactly how much of your opinions you can (en)force upon them.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
4 weeks ago#47
Edavy89 posted...
Totally disagree. Some "ideas" have absolutely no business being free to be expressed. Anything that outright promotes bigotry and violence should be silenced. No one deserves the freedom to spread hate.

The problem here is that hate and bigotry don't have objective definitions. If you create the tools to silence people you disagree with, you're enabling them to also use those tools when they acquire power. And their definitions won't be the same as yours.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#48
ClunkerSlim posted...
Edavy89 posted...
I like how everyone here pretty much supports people being idiots on the internet. To bad modern medicine keeps so many idiots alive.

Gaming really does attract the worst kind of morons. The fact is that Steam's moderation system is substandard and the review system itself is routinely abused. It's an ongoing issue and despite whatever personal bias this guy has, he was right to call Steam out on it.

Sure, but the reason he's calling them out on it isn't because it's a problem, it's because it became a problem for him. If he was abusing it(and he is certainly the type that would), he would be on the other side of it saying how horrible it is that people want to silence free speech ect.
DaedalusEx posted...
Edavy89 posted...

The problem here is that hate and bigotry don't have objective definitions. If you create the tools to silence people you disagree with, you're enabling them to also use those tools when they acquire power. And their definitions won't be the same as yours.

I think it's worth pointing out that, by silencing the expression of someone else's views, you have demonstrably proven to be the hateful and bigoted one in the first place.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
4 weeks ago#49
DaedalusEx posted...

I hate the slippery slope argument. But I can't disagree that it holds merit. However, when we allow things that are wrong, simply because of the future implications is it really that much better? That seems to be the universal fall back. "sure, X is wrong, but if we stop allowing X now, than in the future people might try to stop Y, and there is nothing wrong with Y". And yes, that might be the case. I just think it's generally a poor justification to allow what is wrong for the sake of what may happen, vs what we know *is* happening.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived