This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

User Info: NotSnowske

NotSnowske
3 months ago#51
Sounds like someone accidentally played a video game instead of the virtual "Experiences" he was used to

Dumb casual stay out
I don't just sell stuff, I am actually involved in these.
Now, I'm motivated!

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
3 months ago#52
Edavy89 posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Terantatek posted...
I'm sorry, but a nazi community platform existing is more acceptable than people vocally being against that? Wtf is this 1936?

The issue isn't being vocally against it, it's attempting to silence it. And yes, the person trying to silence someone is worse than the person that's just expressing an idea.

Totally disagree. Some "ideas" have absolutely no business being free to be expressed. Anything that outright promotes bigotry and violence should be silenced. No one deserves the freedom to spread hate.

So you want censorship, making you just as bad in my books.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#53
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I think it's worth pointing out that, by silencing the expression of someone else's views, you have demonstrably proven to be the hateful and bigoted one in the first place.

I'm sorry, I'm all for freedom of speech (within reason), but that's just ludicrous. So somebody protesting a Nazi group that extols killing/making subservient any race besides the "pure aryan" is just as hateful and bigoted as them for wanting that crap removed? No, protesting/fighting bigotry/intolerance/small-mindedness is the opposite of hate and bigotry.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#54
You know, looking at steam's Subscriber agreement and online etiquette, they don't explicitly say "don't use racial slurs", though I thought they'd have that word-filtered into hearts like everything else stronger than the word "damn".

Your online conduct and interaction with other Subscribers should be guided by common sense and basic etiquette. They must notably comply with the Steam Online Conduct rules, to be found at http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=online_conduct. Depending on terms of use imposed by third parties who host particular games or other services, additional requirements may also be provided in the Subscription Terms applicable to a particular Subscription.

As a Steam subscriber you agree to abide by the following conduct rules.

You will not:

Upload, or otherwise make available, files that contain images, photographs, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, including, by way of example, and not as limitation, copyright or trademark laws (or by rights of privacy or publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents to do the same.
Use any material or information, including images or photographs, via Steam in any manner that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party.
Upload files that contain viruses, trojan horses, worms, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer or property of another.
Institute attacks upon a Steam server or otherwise disrupt Steam.
Use Steam in connection with surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, junk email, spamming or any duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise).
Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying Steam services, software or other content.
Harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including e-mail addresses.
Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.
Violate any applicable laws or regulations.

Of course I'd think "not using racial slurs" falls under "common sense" and/or "basic etiquette".

Anyway, if the forums were full of 4chan rejects spamming the N word, it probably wouldn't hurt anything at all to have them all banned from ever using the forums again.

I don't agree with the developers of Firewatch trying to use DMCA to silence someone he doesn't agree with, EVEN Pewdiepie (who is obviously comfortable with spouting racial slurs), but those people responding with a forum full of racial slurs is a pretty stupid answer to that.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: MuttonBasher

MuttonBasher
3 months ago#55
If GameFAQs allowed these types of groups to post freely and openly -- e.g., a white supremacist gamers forum -- would you still participate here?

A private entity is responsible for what gets posted on its forums. Whatever they allow, they condone. I had been looking forward to making a Steam account when I can afford to upgrade my PC. Looks like I'll be sticking to Gog.com. Games don't mean more to me than my principles.
How many hours can a person hunt monsters and not get bored? ...Uh, don't answer that.
~ The Fishmongress

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#56
JKatarn posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I think it's worth pointing out that, by silencing the expression of someone else's views, you have demonstrably proven to be the hateful and bigoted one in the first place.

I'm sorry, I'm all for freedom of speech (within reason), but that's just ludicrous. So somebody protesting a Nazi group that extols killing/making subservient any race besides the "pure aryan" is just as hateful and bigoted as them for wanting that crap removed? No, protesting/fighting bigotry/intolerance/small-mindedness is the opposite of hate and bigotry.

There's a difference between protesting and censoring. Protest the killing or subjugation of non-aryan races, don't protest the freedom to express that concept.
That said
big·ot·ed
ˈbiɡədəd/
adjective
adjective: bigoted

having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one's own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

The moment you assume the moral high ground, you submit yourself to bigotry. If you can't understand the concept of perspective, then, as a person, you aren't better than the racist nazi prick. You just have a different set perspective that you can't see past and aren't willing to accept fault with. When you go and take action similar to that of a nazi, censoring free speech and dissent of your views, and even physically abusing those that stand against you, you are no different from the nazis in germany during World War 2.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
3 months ago#57
The point is that they shouldn't exist in the first place. If Valve can't moderate their communities that they host through their service then they should just get rid of it. Its really not that hard.

Its not about wanting to censor people, its about people being too stupid to act like rational mature people. If they could just behave properly then it wouldn't be an issue, but they can't because they're idiots. That's why moderators and community managers exist. Just like the police exist because people are idiots and do stupid things.

Try spending some time on steam forums. Users posting hate speech and death threats to devs families isn't a rare occurrence.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: 16-BITTER

16-BITTER
3 months ago#58
"I really hate people that hate people!" declares your average social justice type.

And then they wonder why their problems only seem to get worse.
The folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 months ago#59
Tyranius2 posted...
Edavy89 posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Terantatek posted...
I'm sorry, but a nazi community platform existing is more acceptable than people vocally being against that? Wtf is this 1936?

The issue isn't being vocally against it, it's attempting to silence it. And yes, the person trying to silence someone is worse than the person that's just expressing an idea.

Totally disagree. Some "ideas" have absolutely no business being free to be expressed. Anything that outright promotes bigotry and violence should be silenced. No one deserves the freedom to spread hate.

So you want censorship, making you just as bad in my books.

Yep
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: kaufmaniac

kaufmaniac
3 months ago#60
LOL.What a drama queen.The ego of this guy must be huge.He really thinks someone gives a s*** if he deletes his steam account.Ohh no what are we going to do.A useless journo deleted his valve account.I guess it's time to commit Sudoku.

Seriously.This guy is a clear example of how authoritarian can the SJWS be.They want to impose their views on everything and if you don't agree with them.They accuse you of being a racist or worse.They are the modern day Inquisition.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived