This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#61
Edavy89 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I think it's worth pointing out that, by silencing the expression of someone else's views, you have demonstrably proven to be the hateful and bigoted one in the first place.

most moronic thing I've ever read. In that case, you must be

You don't have to agree with a person's point of view to stand up for their right to express it. Likewise you don't have to disagree with someone's point of view to prevent them from forcing it upon another person without said other person's consent.

If that doesn't help you figure out the situation then consider how much worse things might get if the various hate groups don't have the outlet of protests and freedom of expression to blow off their aggression. Would it really be any better if the local chapter of the Klan or Black Panthers had decided that since protesting anti-segregation legislation was illegal it would better to firebomb City Hall or run a bulldozer through an integrated school?

I'm all for letting hate groups march and protest if it keeps them from raping, murdering, and destroying peoples' jobs and homes. Just like I'm all for letting lolicon get published and disbanding religions if it reduces the number of kidnappings and sexual assaults of minors.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: __Blight__

__Blight__
4 weeks ago#62
I want to care....but I just can't.
"I see light to the east...mornings coming."

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
4 weeks ago#63
Edavy89 posted...
I like how everyone here pretty much supports people being idiots on the internet. To bad modern medicine keeps so many idiots alive.

Too*
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: KenshiroX

KenshiroX
4 weeks ago#64
I gotta ask, everyone who uses the phrase "commit Sudoku". Are they using it as a joke, or do they not know it's SEPPUKU.

User Info: Interfusor

Interfusor
4 weeks ago#65
KenshiroX posted...
I gotta ask, everyone who uses the phrase "commit Sudoku". Are they using it as a joke, or do they not know it's SEPPUKU.

What??! I thought it was Hare-Krishna.
I am not economically viable.

User Info: 16-BITTER

16-BITTER
4 weeks ago#66
Interfusor posted...
KenshiroX posted...

What??! I thought it was Hare-Krishna.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.
The folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#67
KenshiroX posted...
I gotta ask, everyone who uses the phrase "commit Sudoku". Are they using it as a joke

You could have googled the phrase and gotten the answer, unless you're being ironic.
https://i.imgur.com/e0HSIwo.jpg
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/commit-sudoku
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
(message deleted)

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
4 weeks ago#69
pkdragon posted...
Edavy89 posted...

Totally disagree. Some "ideas" have absolutely no business being free to be expressed. Anything that outright promotes bigotry and violence should be silenced. No one deserves the freedom to spread hate.

Quoted for truth. Sigged, in fact. I'm so sick of this "let's tolerate intolerance" culture that's sprung up on this site.

If Neogaf's problem is rampant mod abuse then Gamefaqs' problem is mods doing pretty much nothing. It takes about 1 second to delete an obvious troll topic and ban someone. They definitely tolerate some pretty racist/sexist stuff that shouldn't even be up for debate.

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
4 weeks ago#70
Wait wait, if someone calls me an n word online or some other hateful rhetoric and that's freedom of speech on some company's platform, can I go to a place of worship and yell out bulls***, tell everyone their religion is fake, and that would be freedom of speech, too?

This whole hatespeech is freedom of speech is stupid, because while you can technically do whatever you want, like beat the s*** out of Nazis, the point of rules is to stop people from doing stupid things.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived