This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 months ago#81
thelocalhentai posted...
the point of rules is to stop people from doing stupid things.

If the point of rules was to "stop people from doing stupid things" then we'd have rules against people eating themselves into an early grave or brainwashing their children into believing in a specific religion or cult instead of letting them decide for themselves what they want to believe when they're adults.

The point of rules is to limit and mitigate the damage that one person's stupidity, greed, anger, and other such negative or harmful motivations can cause to society as a whole while avoiding infringing upon the rights of as many people as practical.

Born Lucky posted...
Slavery existed in Africa for 1000 years before there was a United States of America, and . .. slavery still exists in Africa today. Black slave traders in Africa bought and sold 2 million human beings last year.
SJWs haven't said a word about it. So, apparently , it's not slavery that offends them.

In all fairness...

Slavery has been practiced in many ways and forms over the millennia, and not all forms of slavery have been bad for the slaves. Some of the forms of slavery practiced in Africa were pretty good for the slaves in overall terms, and even in Greece and Rome the establishment of slavery was such that many voluntarily stayed in that state because it provided economic security that would have been unavailable as a free citizen.

What's really funny is how "SJWs" completely ignore the concept of economic slavery. They'll sooner cry over a woman who is a sex slave in a Belgian brothel than they will over over a low-low-class black family in the US where the father's in jail for selling drugs as the only way to make ends meet while the mother raised their two kids.
__

As for tolerating intolerance, you kinda sorta gotta. Intolerance of intolerance is still intolerance, and you can't object to one without objecting to all of it.

The funny thing about tolerance is that accepting that something exists, ignoring it, and moving on with your life is a form of tolerance. Tolerance does not automatically mean you must agree with the other person's stance.

If you feel that this site's "tolerance of intolerance" is a problem and that you cannot tolerate it anymore, then just move on to another site instead of being intolerant. You wouldn't want to accidentally be a hypocrite, would you?
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#82
arleas posted...
I feel like I'm pretty moderate, but since I'm not embracing one side or the other completely, then I'm apparently open to be attacked from both sides.

That kind of depends on the specifics. We've gotten to the point where "let's approve of Nazis" and "let's not approve of Nazis" is a polarizing issue. If you feel the need to take a moderate position on that, then yeah, you would get attacked from both sides, and you'd deserve it too.

Born Lucky posted...
SJWs haven't said a word about it.

Haven't they?
https://www.facebook.com/STOPTHETRAFFIK
http://www.endslaverynow.org/learn/slavery-today

Marikhen posted...
What's really funny is how "SJWs" completely ignore the concept of economic slavery.

Calling BS here. Finding outrage over socioeconomic disparity on social media is like finding needles in a needle factory.

As for tolerating intolerance, you kinda sorta gotta. Intolerance of intolerance is still intolerance, and you can't object to one without objecting to all of it.

No, you sort of don't, in fact you sort of can't, and it doesn't take a genius philosopher to understand this, though it helps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
2 months ago#83
__Blight__ posted...
I want to care....but I just can't.

Generally when somebody "doesn't care" about something, they don't bother posting in a thread.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#84
The cranky hermit posted...
No, you sort of don't, in fact you sort of can't, and it doesn't take a genius philosopher to understand this, though it helps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance

Is that even relevant today? How the f*** would a minority of nazis be able to suppress anyone's freedom of speech?

They spew hate, people can just go "lol, no", 360 and walk away.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: XDummyX

XDummyX
2 months ago#85
Valve cant even manage VAC and this guy wants to get pissy about trolls on a service with free accounts? I dont know anyone who doesnt already know SPUD is a pile of s***, SPUF used to at least be usable.
The cranky hermit 2 months ago#86
Tyranius2 posted...
How the f*** would a minority of nazis be able to suppress anyone's freedom of speech?

...said Friedrich Ebert in 1923.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#87
And some say he still wonders to this day.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: GM_

GM_
2 months ago#88
JKatarn posted...
__Blight__ posted...
I want to care....but I just can't.

Generally when somebody "doesn't care" about something, they don't bother posting in a thread.

No not really. Sometimes we're just petty like that and make comments to annoy people.
PC mustarded rice

User Info: tzuyd

tzuyd
2 months ago#89
JKatarn posted...
I'm all for freedom of speech (within reason),

Contradiction in terms.

somebody protesting a Nazi group that extols killing/making subservient any race besides the "pure aryan" is just as hateful and bigoted as them for wanting that crap removed?

If you're referring to real life events, the closest that reality has ever come to pass is one group with beliefs you disagree with holding a peaceful rally (until it was crashed), versus the hundreds of thousands of property and personal damages (including use of deadly weapons and explosives) caused by the opposition over half a year before said rally was ever held.

runrom posted...
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-09-14-why-i-deleted-my-steam-account#

Whatever its motives, Valve is clearly just fine operating an online toilet that harbors the worst dregs of society

Seems to me there's one less dreg on it now, and the system is working.

Edavy89 posted...
when we allow things that are wrong, simply because of the future implications is it really that much better?

Did you see the backlash PDP got for using a bad word? NOBODY IS ALLOWING THINGS THAT ARE (considered) WRONG.
I sexually identify as a 100% inoffensively correct person. My pronouns are 'yes', 'uh huh' and 'absolutely'.

User Info: slyman19

slyman19
2 months ago#90
What a dips***.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived