This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#91
tzuyd posted...
Did you see the backlash PDP got for using a bad word? NOBODY IS ALLOWING THINGS THAT ARE (considered) WRONG.

Yeah, which is why it's complete bulls*** when cranky or some other dummy comes out with the nazy bogeymen.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Spaced92

Spaced92
2 months ago#92
thelocalhentai posted...
Wait wait, if someone calls me an n word online or some other hateful rhetoric and that's freedom of speech on some company's platform, can I go to a place of worship and yell out bulls***, tell everyone their religion is fake, and that would be freedom of speech, too?

This whole hatespeech is freedom of speech is stupid, because while you can technically do whatever you want, like beat the s*** out of Nazis, the point of rules is to stop people from doing stupid things.

That's the way freedom of speech goes, it's pretty universal that people only like people being free to speak the things they agree with. If there are no exceptions, free speech just legitimizes hate speech, of what worth is pure malicious intent against minorities to a well functioning democratic society?

I personally don't give a flying f*** if they get silenced, their whole movement is about silencing people, society needs to protect itself from these types of people or inevitably their message of hate will start to get through. Some people laugh at minority hate groups and focus more on 'moral crusaders' (because having opinions on ethics is laaame), the same people still don't care when the crazies are running the asylum because it never bothered them in the first place.
Geforce GTX whatever, i7 something or rather, some sticks of ram, an SSD and a Hard Drive with stuff on it.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
2 months ago#93
tzuyd posted...
Did you see the backlash PDP got for using a bad word? NOBODY IS ALLOWING THINGS THAT ARE (considered) WRONG.

We still have white supremacist rally's here in Virginia. Everyone intelligent knows racial bigotry is wrong. Yet legally we allow it. What delusional hole in your head are you hiding in to think the world isn't f***ing swimming in what is wrong.

User Info: quinikk

quinikk
2 months ago#94
DaedalusEx posted...
After PewDiePie dropped his racist interjection, Firewatch developer Campo Santo had the popular streamer's video of the game pulled from YouTube using the service's copyright claims process. Angry gamers then began review bombing the title on Steam, and poured into the game-specific forums to flood them with abuse. Because that's how it's done now. Because we are gamers and every avenue of feedback available to us must be weaponized so that we can have things our way.

The f***ing irony.

2nd that. WoW! That made me spit.
Just let it go, alright.

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 months ago#95
Spaced92 posted...
If there are no exceptions, free speech just legitimizes hate speech, of what worth is pure malicious intent against minorities to a well functioning democratic society?

Again, "hate speech" means different things to different people. When you think of hate speech you're thinking of stuff like "all n*****s should be killed," but another person thinks hate speech is stating that there are only two genders, or criticizing the doctrine of their religion, or pointing out race differences in IQ. You can mold most anything to fit under that label in service of furthering an ideological agenda, and the moment you create the tools to suppress speech authoritarian ideologues will do ceaseless battle to seize them.

User Info: slyman19

slyman19
2 months ago#96
Edavy89 posted...
We still have white supremacist rally's here in Virginia. Everyone intelligent knows racial bigotry is wrong. Yet legally we allow it. What delusional hole in your head are you hiding in to think the world isn't f***ing swimming in what is wrong.

Of course we legally allow it. The Constitution protects ALL US citizens to say what they want.

I don't like what they say, but I'm sure as hell going to defend their right to say it.

User Info: Dunhilda

Dunhilda
2 months ago#97
TL;DR he hates free speech because Steam allowed certain games to be on their platform.

Good riddance.

User Info: AlleRacing

AlleRacing
2 months ago#98
DaedalusEx posted...
After PewDiePie dropped his racist interjection, Firewatch developer Campo Santo had the popular streamer's video of the game pulled from YouTube using the service's copyright claims process. Angry gamers then began review bombing the title on Steam, and poured into the game-specific forums to flood them with abuse. Because that's how it's done now. Because we are gamers and every avenue of feedback available to us must be weaponized so that we can have things our way.

The f***ing irony.

No kidding.
http://i.imgur.com/6tJEBqH.jpg
http://steamsigmaker.de/new/AlleRacing.png

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 months ago#99
Edavy89 posted...
tzuyd posted...

Because to disallow it is bigotry, which is wrong.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
2 months ago#100
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Edavy89 posted...
tzuyd posted...

Because to disallow it is bigotry, which is wrong.

In theory, sure, but when words lead to violence, the morality of it is less important. When people get hurt or killed over words in basically your own backyard... Nvm, not going to go on that train of thought here.

Freedom and safety is a delicate balance.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Gamesindustry.biz Sr. Editor quits Steam over Valve's inaction with hate speech

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived