This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you use trainers or cheat engine tables for offline games?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you use trainers or cheat engine tables for offline games?

User Info: Spaced92

Spaced92
4 weeks ago#61
Yeah I use cheat engine but not really to make things easier, it's usually for grindy or annoying s***. I'm not a kid anymore that can feel good wasting all my time on grinding, as long as it doesn't give me a competitive advantage over a human being it's fine.

Weight limits and turn timers I also sometimes edit. HP or stats never. I don't care if people do, it's not an elitist thing it's about what makes games fun to you, for me it's not making sure I don't carry too many weapons or a game forcing you to rush towards a certain objective (f*** fun right?).

There are often arbitrary systems in games that are there because of reasons that I disagree with, take XCom 2 and turn limits because they hated people abusing overwatch, I don't do that, but I also don't want to screw myself on commander difficulty dashing towards an objective because of how other people play games.
Geforce GTX whatever, i7 something or rather, some sticks of ram, an SSD and a Hard Drive with stuff on it.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#62
Used to, but not anymore. Its all about the mods these days.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#63
GigaNutz posted...
Do you use trainers or cheat engine tables for offline games?

Depending on the game, yes. I'll use cheat Engine for Borderlands 2 to get Borderlands' drop rates or inventory sizes and on Space Pirates & Zombies 2 to boost the cap on power cores, but I won't use it on Borderlands or Space Pirates & Zombies. Likewise the console means I've no reason to use third-party software in Bethesda's games.

oblique365 posted...
Theres no point. Games are easy nowadays and cheating only ruins the challenge. It was more worth it on the nes.

You can use "cheat" tools to make the game more difficult as well y'know. Do you feel that Borderlands 2 passes out way too many good items? Then just load up the CE script/table/whatever for it and cut the drop rates in half or more.

rpgian posted...
For example when I replayed ff8 you start at like lv7. I didn't like that so I found the exp and knocked myself down to lv1 and threw on no encounters.

Considering how game mechanics work, that's actually cheating, or at least it will be the moment you turn encounters back on, considering GF stat boost on level up effects and how enemies scale to your level.

"Altering" gameplay would be something more like playing Final Fantasy 6, blocking AP gain, equipping characters with espers that give them thematically appropriate spells, and then manually giving them the spells when they would have normally learned them so that you can have Edgar casting Thunder and Thundara but not Ultima or Holy.

celebar posted...

Also known as cheating.

Would you consider texture mods or playing blackjack with a deck of cards labeled for poker to be cheating? Just curious as some people consider any modification of a game to be "cheating," even if it's cosmetic or makes the game harder.

thelocalhentai posted...
in Skyrim, I change the difficulty to legendary so stuff can kill me with one magic spell or power attack but add myself a good damage multiplier

Why though? You can just use mods to increase enemy damage/"AI" to the point where Adept is a reasonable challenge. Hell, I had one run where mod interaction made NPC spells severely damaging when they didn't OHK me.

rpgian posted...
Lots of arguing about cheating/altering.Subjective to taste but like everything there is more depth to it than what is seen at surface.

It gets even more fun when you have to decide what is cheating and what is just plain common sense.

Consider Fallout 4 and its "Survival mode." Survival disables the console, and therefore going by the developer's intent it would be cheating to re-enable it. However, it's a Bethesda game and you rather need the console to avoid scenarios such as losing hours of progress to crashes and avoiding death or character loss due to Bethesda's mistakes.

Is it cheating to then enable the console so that you can save your progress in scenarios where the game is known to repeatedly crash? Is it cheating to use TCL to get out of being stuck on terrain due to Bethesda's mistakes and not your own?

Even if you decide that those scenarios aren't cheating for whatever reason, what about giving your character antibiotics after sleeping to cure the almost inevitable post-sleep disease state that Survival afflicts you with? On the one hand implementing "required" game mechanics that punish the player virtually every time they're used is a bit cheat'ish on the part of the developers, but on the other hand you're still circumventing normal, presumably unbugged, gameplay.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
4 weeks ago#64
Marikhen posted...
Why though? You can just use mods to increase enemy damage/"AI" to the point where Adept is a reasonable challenge. Hell, I had one run where mod interaction made NPC spells severely damaging when they didn't OHK me.
Why add a mod when I can just set actor values and custom tailor the difficulty (like higher magicka damage and lower stamina and magicka regen) to my liking? Not only that but legendary rates for both learning skills (faster on some, slower than others) are different to adept.

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
4 weeks ago#65
certain RPG maker games... but that's just to get to the "action" quicker
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you use trainers or cheat engine tables for offline games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived