This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Had a laptop sitting in cupboard a few years trying to diagnose fault

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Had a laptop sitting in cupboard a few years trying to diagnose fault

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
2 months ago#1
Outside of motherboard issues can't work out the issue.

Was sold to me for a good price by person who said keyboard didn't work so they had to use a usb one.

To their credit it worked perfectly fine as they stated, used it for a few days, let battery run dead and charge to see if it was holding charge.

I decided now it worked as promised to see if a format with a generic Windows disc or a newer Windows would sort the problem.

Oh and they keyboard worked fine in the bios.

Tried a Windows 7 install and it started ok but after about 30 seconds just froze, tried a usb install and same issue at same point

Tried a linux install and same issue.

So trying to work out if theres a hardware failure somewhere.

And I could never test if Windows worked after that as the startup got corrupted and I didn't have the manufacturer install discs.

Just thinking its a good laptop still (i7, 8 gigs of ram) so worthwhile to look at it.

So any ideas on the fault?
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: betatech

betatech
2 months ago#2
Have you tried memtest or a HDD test?
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.

silvergokuZ
2 months ago#3
No, I was thinking possibility of hard drive fault but then I thought why would that stop only the keyboard working or freeze a install totally

That and even a linuxlive disc didn't work.

silvergokuZ
2 months ago#4
Bump, did just make a kubuntu disc so may try that

I may attempt to remove ram but hoping its not inside the case.

User Info: MC RaZaR

MC RaZaR
2 months ago#5
If you use a Linux Live disk for testing Linux and not installing, it should not crash or freeze if it's a hard drive issue. You should be able to boot from and use the Linux Live disk even if you didn't have a hard drive installed.

If it's freezing and crashing while you're just testing Linux, then it could be the RAM or some other hardware issue.
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
2 months ago#6
Sounds very much like the issues my old HP laptop had.

It was given to me by a friend because I needed a PC, and I was able to fix it, but here's what all went wrong with it:

The bios got corrupted, causing the same type of problems you stated in trying to install Windows.

Once I reflashed the bios, we determined one of the RAM sticks had gone bad, so I replaced both (not a huge deal, as they were just 1GB sticks).

After reflashing the bios, replacing the RAM, and a fresh Windows install, it worked mostly fine for a few years, except a weird "hiccup" every now and then where it would act like the shift key was randomly stuck, or other context changing keys (like the delete key, control, etc.) were stuck.

This could usually be fixed by pressing the shift keys on either side of the keyboard a few times, but would really wreck most gaming when it decided to act up.

Eventually the motherboard developed a fault where it wouldn't recognize the AC adapter while the machine was running, and eventually wouldn't recognize it whether running or not, ultimately killing it at that point, as there was no way to power it other than battery which it was not able to charge.

tl;dr: Sounds like it's a good chance it's a problem with the RAM or mobo. Sorry for the long explanation, just wanted to give detail in case it ends up sounding very similar to what's happening with yours.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Had a laptop sitting in cupboard a few years trying to diagnose fault

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived