This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do most modern USB keyboards lack ps/2 support?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do most modern USB keyboards lack ps/2 support?

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
2 months ago#1
Just a generic question, I always run out of room at back of pcs and whilst I know I can use a hub I prefer to use the included ports and older keyboards seem to work better in even modern bios.

So yeah how common is it for modern keyboards to have ps/2 support?
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
2 months ago#2
There are very few with that port most pair don't use them anymore
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#3
silvergokuZ posted...
older keyboards seem to work better in even modern bios.

I've never had a problem with USB keyboards and BIOS within the last decade - before that it would sometimes be a problem but rather rarely.

At any rate, PS/2 ports are getting phased out, overall. Or outdated, however you want to put it. A lot of modern motherboards don't even come with two of them - mine, for instance, only has one and is coloured half green half purple, since you can plug a mouse or a keyboard there.

Still, if you really want to plug a keyboard into a PS/2 port and don't, for some reason, want to get a USB hub (yet you want to buy a keyboard?) you have basically two options

- find a keyboard that is PS/2 - your best bet mechanical keyboards - they seem to more often have PS/2 versions. You might even be able to find a cheap one second hand - older models (5 or even 10 year old ones) should be perfectly functional and are even more likely to work on PS/2
- get a USB to PS/2 converter - they should be cheap to pick up...but they don't really offer much over a USB hub.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#4
Ps/2 devices tend to get higher priority in the operating system.
So if you system is chugging hard core. Your mouse will stop moving if it's usb, but tends to keep going if ps/2. Keyboard wise I've never noticed a difference.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#5
vlado_e posted...
I've never had a problem with USB keyboards and BIOS within the last decade

I've got a keyboard that regularly doesn't get recognized until after the BIOS screen is passed. It's a Corsair Strafe Mechanical Keyboard...

It's kinda weird I guess, but it happens occasionally... MOST usb keyboards don't give me trouble but this one does.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
2 months ago#6
I had one pc that I had to remove my mouse to work in bios and it was a modern motherboard, others that worked with ps/2 in bios but not usb but worked past bios screen/into OS and also usb itself was awkward as devices such as keyboard and mouse would have their leds on constant but didn't have that problem via a ps/2 port.

Im happy with USB for mouse but ideally ps/2 for keyboard is better for me personally, also means if I am troubleshooting a older computer can just use that

I also find with usb hubs if I reinstall they don't always work until drivers are setup correctly within windows.
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 months ago#7
Modern motherboards with fastboot as default are horrible for USB keyboards.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#8
godplaysSNES posted...
Modern motherboards with fastboot as default are horrible for USB keyboards.

Yeah that might be part of the problem. It tries to boot so quickly that the USB keyboard isn't recognized right away... I've been "solving" my problem by unplugging the USB keyboard until after I'm past the early boot stage. I find that it actually boots faster when I don't have the USB keyboard plugged in.

I'm guessing that it's having to wait for some kind of response from the keyboard before it can continue and then when it doesn't get it fast enough, it ignores it for the rest of the boot sequence until the OS can take over.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do most modern USB keyboards lack ps/2 support?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived