This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Please help, Windows Explorer crashes on startup.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Please help, Windows Explorer crashes on startup.

User Info: KaizerLaw

KaizerLaw
3 months ago#1
When i try to get on my Windows 7 machine, after i enter my login password, all i see is a black screen and a box that says "Windows Explorer has stopped working". All windows features and functions aside from Ctrl-Alt-Delete do not work.

I have checked online for solutions, but none of them have worked.
Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 months ago#2
Did you run malware and a virus scan?
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

KaizerLaw
3 months ago#3
mucloud posted...

Can't. Even in safemode all windows features and functions aside from the task manager do not work at all.
There is only a black screen and the box that says "Windows explorer has stopped working".
Can only restart PC with Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
3 months ago#4
KaizerLaw posted...
mucloud posted...

Can't. Even in safemode all windows features and functions aside from the task manager do not work at all.
There is only a black screen and the box that says "Windows explorer has stopped working".

Hmm, maybe a wipe; fresh install? Do you have your data and stuff backed up?
Ryzen 1600X @ 3.8Ghz | EVGA GTX 1080 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200mhz | MSI B350 'Bazooka' | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

KaizerLaw
3 months ago#5
WalkingPlague posted...
KaizerLaw posted...
mucloud posted...

Hmm, maybe a wipe; fresh install? Do you have your data and stuff backed up?

Yes, but i was really hoping to avoid having to do that, I reformatted this PC only a few months ago.
/sigh...

User Info: Teenman

Teenman
3 months ago#6
You can still launch programs without explorer. If you haven't backed any of your things or just don't feel like giving up and formatting yet.

You can use the task manager to start a program under file or use the windows key + r.

At this point I would first launch cmd.exe and run "sfc scannow" to see if it finds any corrupt OS files. Then I would launch an internet browser (iexplore.exe or browser of choice) and download malwarebytes or something similar. At this point you would need to use the cmd to install the program or provide the full path to launch the program using the first method.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do...." (Stephen F. Roberts)

KaizerLaw
3 months ago#7
Teenman posted...
You can still launch programs without explorer. If you haven't backed any of your things or just don't feel like giving up and formatting yet.

You can use the task manager to start a program under file or use the windows key + r.

At this point I would first launch cmd.exe and run "sfc scannow" to see if it finds any corrupt OS files. Then I would launch an internet browser (iexplore.exe or browser of choice) and download malwarebytes or something similar. At this point you would need to use the cmd to install the program or provide the full path to launch the program using the first method.

I have already tried sfc /scannow. It says some files are corrupted and cannot be fixed.
This issue began occurring immediately after a power outage, my PC was working fine before the power outage. Is very strange to me.

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#8
Do you have any restore points? I think you can reset to one via a windows USB installation.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

User Info: Teenman

Teenman
3 months ago#9
KaizerLaw posted...

I have already tried sfc /scannow. It says some files are corrupted and cannot be fixed.
This issue began occurring immediately after a power outage, my PC was working fine before the power outage. Is very strange to me.

Have you tried System Restore yet? You may be able to select a restore point before the power outage.

If you don't have any restore points, you may want to try repairing the OS with a windows 7 disc.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do...." (Stephen F. Roberts)

KaizerLaw
3 months ago#10
Teenman posted...
KaizerLaw posted...

Have you tried System Restore yet? You may be able to select a restore point before the power outage.

If you don't have any restore points, you may want to try repairing the OS with a windows 7 disc.

I normally disable system restore to save HD space. Might have been a dumb decision.
When i try to run windows repair, wether it is from the safemode startup options or from the windows 7 installation disc it says "Windows cannot repair this computer...something something etc", can't remember the full text.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Please help, Windows Explorer crashes on startup.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived