This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

F***ing Windows 10 is *still* broken

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. F***ing Windows 10 is *still* broken

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#51
JKatarn posted...
You know, it must be because I shut my PC down every night/when not using it for an extended period of time, but the only time I've ever seen an update was when I went to shut down the PC and it said "update and shutdown",

Yeah that could definitely be it. If your computer is normally inactive during a certain period that's when it schedules the update.

Back when I actually let the computer update I had the same experience. It would schedule all the updates at 2am or 3am.

STILL, the thing should know that if you're playing a game or rendering a video, or whatever, that means the update needs to wait.

I have this one video where a guy flips out because of this very issue, but in his case, he kept hitting the "postpone" button for almost 2 weeks. I don't really have any sympathy for someone who wants to leave the update service on but never wants to update.

Still, I'm not really a fan of forced updates, especially when Microsoft doesn't seem to bug test their own stuff very well.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#52
arleas posted...
STILL, the thing should know that if you're playing a game or rendering a video, or whatever, that means the update needs to wait.

I have this one video where a guy flips out because of this very issue, but in his case, he kept hitting the "postpone" button for almost 2 weeks. I don't really have any sympathy for someone who wants to leave the update service on but never wants to update.

Still, I'm not really a fan of forced updates, especially when Microsoft doesn't seem to bug test their own stuff very well.

I just set the active hours to hours I never use the computer and disabled the "restart" option, and I've never had it randomly reboot on me, but again I shut off my computer when not using it for an extended period and do the whole "update then shutdown" thing. I do agree that updates should be intelligent enough to see that a program/the CPU is active and not restart the computer, but if somebody has several opportunities to install an update when they're not doing anything and keeps postponing it, I have less sympathy for them.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

JKatarn
3 months ago#53
1337toothbrush posted...
JKatarn posted...
1337toothbrush posted...
mariopaper posted...
Cancer kills, this is a minor inconvenience that happens maybe a few times a year to some people and only wastes a few minutes, you f*** off.

It was an analogy, genius. Severity of issue doesn't matter. An operating system should not hinder operation, end of f***ing story. Now f*** off for real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

I'm sorry you couldn't muster the brain power to understand the analogy. Someone having a problem is not helped at all by a jackass coming in and saying, "I don't have it! I don't have it!!"

Calm your t***, I understood your little analogy fine, which is why I posted the link to help you understand that the two things are in no way equivalent. You had the gall to compare your first-world inconvenience with Windows updates to a terrible disease, that's what I took exception to, so the original "f*** off" stands. If you honestly think the two are in any way comparable, you really should get off the computer once in a while.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
3 months ago#54
The gravity of either situation was never the point and I've said this already, so great job on missing the point even after I've explained myself.
:D
https://imgur.com/a/FU9H8

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
3 months ago#55
99% of people being completely braindead in terms of understanding what analogies are is why I've stopped using them in general.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 months ago#56
it's not that windows 10 is horse s*** (though it's close), it's just so much worse than windows 7.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: BewmHedshot

BewmHedshot
2 months ago#57
Has never happened to me. But it has BSOD'd twice on resuming from sleep in 8 months, that's kind of s***ty.
Cavaliers: ONCE

JKatarn
2 months ago#58
Black_Assassin posted...
99% of people being completely braindead in terms of understanding what analogies are is why I've stopped using them in general.

I understand analogies fine, which is why I can discern terrible/nonsensical analogies, which seem to be in abundance around here. Again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

"A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence,especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result.[2] False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence doesn't bear because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors"

" 'The Deepwater Horizon oil spill is no different from your neighbor dripping some oil on the ground when changing oil in his car.'

(the comparison is between things differing by many orders of magnitude: Deepwater Horizon spilled 210 million US gal; 780,000 m3 of oil, your neighbor might spill perhaps a pint.)"

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
2 months ago#59
Nowhere in what you quoted has to do with analogies, but equivalence (hence "false equivalence"). Analogies are rarely equivalent and are for the most part exaggerated to get the meaning across. In fact, not one thing in your link deals with analogies.

A false equivalence is just saying something is no different from something else when they quite clearly are. Not one person here stated that cancer is the equivalent to a Windows update.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

JKatarn
2 months ago#60
SilentHawk29 posted...
Nowhere in what you quoted has to do with analogies, but equivalence (hence "false equivalence"). Analogies are rarely equivalent and are for the most part exaggerated to get the meaning across. In fact, not one thing in your link deals with analogies.

A false equivalence is just saying something is no different from something else when they quite clearly are. Not one person here stated that cancer is the equivalent to a Windows update.

Toothbrush did an implied comparison by saying "Do you also think that cancer and other diseases aren't bad because you don't have them?", I found that very distasteful.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. F***ing Windows 10 is *still* broken

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived