This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Monitor issues

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New Monitor issues

User Info: phyrex318

phyrex318
3 months ago#1
So I just purchased a 4K UHD LG 27' Monitor. My PC uses a RX 480 8 gig GPU.

I made a previous topic exploring if my PC could handle Destiny 2 in 4K with said video card and if it was with it to get my Monitor.

Long answer short everyone explained well that a large chunk of more graphically powerful games wouldn't run well at 4K but the image would still be Upscaled at 1080 or 1440.

For most of my games so far it looks great, some older ones look beautiful in 4K, Skyrim runs decently if I l disable a chunk of mods at 1440 but one game is acting very odd, Heros of the Storm.

No matter what settings, even on low the MOMENT I touch 1440 res the Monitor goes nuts. I turn it back to 1080 at Extreme and it has zero issues. I know HOTS Is not a powerful game so I cannot figure out why 1440 res is making my Monitor flip out.

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#2
What is your monitor doing exactly?
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

phyrex318
3 months ago#3
Masamune_DS posted...
What is your monitor doing exactly?

The picture blackens out/cuts to a static like screen intermittently before going back to normal for either a brief or extended period of time.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 months ago#4
Try a different HDMI or Display cable. The one you are using could be bad.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Masamune_DS

Masamune_DS
3 months ago#5
Can you set a custom resolution for HotS? If you can, try to work you way up to 1440p. I tried googling the issue, but nothing notable came up.
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny

phyrex318
3 months ago#6
ArkonBlade posted...
Try a different HDMI or Display cable. The one you are using could be bad.

That yielded interesting results.

The HDMI I am using came with my Stock Xbox One, (I have several now). I opted to use it due to its thicker cord then the cheaper ones I had laying around.

With said Xbox brand HDMI plugged in, all is well on the desktop. I plug in a basic/kind of cheap spare HDMI and the desktop began to flip out and act just how Heros of the Storm acted! The moment I placed the better HDMI back in, its smooth sailing so to speak.

Here is the Monitor I am using

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27ud69p-w-27-ips-led-4k-uhd-freesync-monitor-black-white/5770300.p?skuId=5770300

Is there a more expensive/newer version of HDMI cable that I might need for optimal performance?

phyrex318
3 months ago#7
Masamune_DS posted...
Can you set a custom resolution for HotS? If you can, try to work you way up to 1440p. I tried googling the issue, but nothing notable came up.

Not entirely sure how or if I can.

phyrex318
3 months ago#8
The best way I can describe how the Monitor is acting is that it flickers between static you would see if Cable was unhooked from a TV, followed by flickers of black, distorted lines, and also full screen of green on occasion too.

It did this with Hots at 1440 low settings and also on the desktop but only when a cheaper HDMI was used.

Bare in mind I've ran a few other games and they seem to work just fine. They weren't powerhouses but neither is HoTS...

phyrex318
3 months ago#9
So bit of an update.

I decided to use the DisplayPort cable that came with my Monitor since the HDMI both Xbox, Cheapy, and stock w/Monitor kept causing the screen flickering issue.

I plugged in the Display Port Cable and all my problems with stuttering and flickering went away completely! I can turn HotS up to extreme 1440 and mid 4K and it works just fine and dandy now.

My new question is and forgive my ignorance, the hell is a Display Port Cable and is it inferior to HDMI? I noticed with this Cable plugged in Skyrim now refuses to allow me to pick a resolution, tho it looks like it defaulted to 1440 with all mods enabled.

Can anyone explain the difference and will I see less performance out of this Cable?

phyrex318
3 months ago#10
Well scratch that. It worked for a small while but the issue returned, albeit not as severely compared to the HDMI.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New Monitor issues

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived