This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

User Info: CommunismFTW

CommunismFTW
3 months ago#1
I heard some chatter about people using DSFix being banned (which was like 85% of all players) and now the messages/pvp/pve/coop are all virtually dead in it. Also that the graphics and controls sucked terribly.

Thoughts, guys? Thinking of playing it, could get it for $5. I have played it on Ps3 btw, so I know it's a good game. Just curious about the port.
Since only from below can one better see the heights.
http://i.imgur.com/OhZgm.jpg

User Info: MoodyHoe

MoodyHoe
3 months ago#2
Yes,graphics and controls(if you use kb+m) suck badly. I heard they somewhat improved the kb+m control on ds3,haven't tried that yet.
'Anyone can speak Troll,' said Fred dismissively, 'all you have to do is point and grunt.'

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
3 months ago#3
I've used DSfix and have not been banned. Gamed for 400 hours with no problems. Dark Souls 1 plays best on PC.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
3 months ago#4
even without dsfix the game still runs better than the console version (more consistent framerates). just don't use dsfix and enjoy the definitive version of dark souls. use a controller

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
3 months ago#5
it's a pretty solid experience, just don't go in it expecting rock solid 60/4k/good keyboard controls.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: Ilishe

Ilishe
3 months ago#6
CommunismFTW posted...
I heard some chatter about people using DSFix being banned (which was like 85% of all players) and now the messages/pvp/pve/coop are all virtually dead in it. Also that the graphics and controls sucked terribly.

Thoughts, guys? Thinking of playing it, could get it for $5. I have played it on Ps3 btw, so I know it's a good game. Just curious about the port.

DSFix is very worthwhile. Just use a controller to play.
~Phoenix Nine~
~Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.~

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 months ago#7
Game runs great with dsfix. So much better than trying to play it at horrible framerates on consoles. Link to any discussion about bans?

It was a Ps3/360 game so the graphics are dated but personally I think it looks fantastic.
Obama 2008

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
3 months ago#8
CommunismFTW posted...

1) Yes it's worth playing.The original port is 1:1 with the console version, but DSFIX fixes all the issues (resolution, lag, framerate unlock). With DSFIX the graphics will be far better and even better if you add a texture patch. Granted, it's a 2010 game so there will always be some degree of dated looking graphics. But due to diminishing returns, it looks half decent even today, even downright beautiful at times due to the art design combined with the up-rezzing of DSFIX.

2) No, DSFIX doesn't get you banned from anything. I am not sure if that was anything but a rumor, but now that GWFL is gone there is zero chance. No, the online is not dead, there is still tons of messages/PVP/PVE. However, you will want to use "Wulf's Dark Souls Connectivity Mod" to co-op/pvp reliably as the netcode sucks. Dark Souls PvP Watchdog also helps as it lets you kick out any hackers who try to ruin your day.

3) Only the mouse controls are terrible, but why are you playing Dark Souls with a mouse. If you really want to, there is DSMFIX.

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 months ago#9
Just recently put in 3 runs in DS1. It's an excellent game. Played with a controller it does not suck at all. Graphics are fine unless you are an eye candy snob. DSFix is not even needed anymore, but does still provide some functionality. You can cheat your balls off in this game and not get banned. DSFix surely isn't going to cause a ban. Online community is not well populated any longer, but it does still exist and the connectivity mod help enormously.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: randomoaf

randomoaf
3 months ago#10
It doesn't have Vsync so to me it's a little worse than the console version. I still have to play it in 720p borderless (since borderless has double buffered vsync). The only benefit to DSFix is the framerate, at least on my end.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived