This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
1 month ago#31
Death_Born posted...
wentzelot posted...
as he stated, 60 fps causes problems with hitboxes, jumps, collision, etc . game is one of those games that are meant to be run at 30 fps . and it runs smoother on pc than console anyways so that's enough for me .

You can press Backspace to re-enable 30 fps temporarily to pull off the one or 2 very long jumps (which are still doable in 60 fps, just need better timing).

It doesn't cause problems with hitboxes at all whatsoever, the only issues it has is:

* Jumps are slightly shorter.
* Bonfires can glitch if you leave too fast. Wait till you sat down before leaving.
* Falling through floor in some Undead Burg ladders and nowhere else. Solution: don't slide down in Undead Burg, or quit and reload if you fall through floor.

Also, for those who say it's "meant" to be 30 fps, no, it's not. DS2 and DS3 are both 60 fps/30 on console.

ds2 and ds3 have nothing to do with ds1 . the first game had no plans of a pc release and then was later ported. it was a 30 fps game meant to be played at 30 fps. when you unlock it to 60 fps there are problems with the engine. you even outline and admit some of them. that's what happens when you play games at a framerate higher than intended for certain games

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 month ago#32
Only issues I've had with 60fps are the jumps, fires, and ladders as mentioned, in 307 hours of play. I had one or two fires glitch, fell through the floor on one ladder, and there are two jumps I can think of that are a problem at 60fps.

But again, get DSfix, play at high resolutions and 30fps. Don't want to? Fine, get the vanilla game, play at 720p@ a solid 30fps. Regardless, if you have a machine built within the last 8 years, you'll have a better experience than you'll get on consoles.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything else becomes more shallow.

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
1 month ago#33
The game worked fine for me without any modifications.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#34
Death_Born posted...
wentzelot posted...
as he stated, 60 fps causes problems with hitboxes, jumps, collision, etc . game is one of those games that are meant to be run at 30 fps . and it runs smoother on pc than console anyways so that's enough for me .

You can press Backspace to re-enable 30 fps temporarily to pull off the one or 2 very long jumps (which are still doable in 60 fps, just need better timing).

It doesn't cause problems with hitboxes at all whatsoever, the only issues it has is:

* Jumps are slightly shorter.
* Bonfires can glitch if you leave too fast. Wait till you sat down before leaving.
* Falling through floor in some Undead Burg ladders and nowhere else. Solution: don't slide down in Undead Burg, or quit and reload if you fall through floor.

Also, for those who say it's "meant" to be 30 fps, no, it's not. DS2 and DS3 are both 60 fps/30 on console.

I fell through the ground at the catacombs a few times. Overall it is worth the small issues since 60 feels so much better. I didn't notice any other problems other than the jumps and ladder thing mentioned. Never encountered the bonfire glitch.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

Voxwik
1 month ago#35
I played vanilla and didn't have to worry about such glitches period. It is a matter of preference but I feel I lost nothing at 30FPS. The combat is more about pattern recognition than twitch reaction.

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#36
30 vs 60 is not a preference. No one chooses to play at 30 all things equal.
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

Voxwik
1 month ago#37
Bleu_Skie posted...
30 vs 60 is not a preference. No one chooses to play at 30 all things equal.

Right. Glitch free vs glitchy in this case. I'll take a stable 30fps play through, especially if 60fps messes with the combat flow at all for this game (I dislike how DS3 feels like Dark Souls: Turbo at times).

Glitch free vs. prettier graphics with issues is most definitely a preference. I understand preferring the latter, but I will take the game functioning as intended over that.

Edit: A quick search suggests the game doesn't run at double speed with the mod and you can toggle it with a key. Perhaps that came up already in the topic.

Either way my only point is the game works perfectly fine vanilla in its current state.

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#38
Voxwik posted...
Right. Glitch free vs glitchy in this case. I'll take a stable 30fps play through, especially if 60fps messes with the combat flow at all for this game (I dislike how DS3 feels like Dark Souls: Turbo at times).

Most games (modded/unmodded/console) have glitches. Some worse than others. 60 improves combat actually.

Voxwik posted...
Glitch free vs. prettier graphics with issues is most definitely a preference. I understand preferring the latter, but I will take the game functioning as intended over that.

Cool, but I said all things equal. That is how you get preferences. What you are describing is a choice based on pros and cons. Game as intended is a terrible argument. Just imagine it is a remaster.

All games work at 30. They also work at 480p. Not really the point I was trying to argue.

User Info: gideond

gideond
1 month ago#39
I wouldn't say 60 fps necessarily improves combat. I think that is all down to what you get use to. If you've played the whole game at 60 fps you will be use to combat at that frame rate. If you've been playing at 30 fps though and decide to go 60 it's going to take a while to adjust and combat will suffer for it. I found myself missing blocks and parries far too much until I got the flow down again, which took a few hours.

I think the game being designed to run at 30 fps is a valid argument though. Some of the combat in this game is scripted to time out according to the fps instead of real-time. So some actions complete before the character physically catches up to them. Basically it just throws it out of sync a bit. The game not being designed for 60 fps just means it doesn't effectively scale itself to the higher frame rate. Whether it's something to you are willing to live with it up to the player.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: -______-

-______-
1 month ago#40
dsfix fixes the pc resolution problems so you can have the game render at 1080p, compared to the 720p console version

blighttown w/dsfix is more stable than the ps3 version

community isn't as active as the ps3 version, but when i was playing around this time last year, i still had a bunch of invasions. i've only seen one hacker so that's something to be wary of; iirc there's an autokick hacker mod where you can kick people if it detects hacks, or kick people simply because you don't want to deal with invasion bs. use that or disconnect yourself from the internet when you see an obvious hacker
-______-
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived