This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

User Info: CourtofOwls

CourtofOwls
2 months ago#41
if you decline the TOS that comes up in game before you start you'll never go online and thus never get banned
[?]
"He must've been a very important chimp."

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
2 months ago#42
Boge posted...
I played the PS3 version up just past Blighttown. I couldn't continue after that 10fps experience. After it came out on PC, I played over 300 hours of it. Very well worth it on PC.

Same for me. I loooooved Demon's Souls and was so excited for DS1 on ps3, then the poor Blightown fps just broke my heart.

I skeptically bought it on pc for $5 a few years ago expecting it to still be a drag, but fell back in love with it. Played it through like 20 times by now.

Also I never had a problem with 60fps with dsfix.
Obama 2008

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
2 months ago#43
gideond posted...
I think the game being designed to run at 30 fps is a valid argument though. Some of the combat in this game is scripted to time out according to the fps instead of real-time. So some actions complete before the character physically catches up to them. Basically it just throws it out of sync a bit. The game not being designed for 60 fps just means it doesn't effectively scale itself to the higher frame rate. Whether it's something to you are willing to live with it up to the player.

Where are you getting this from? If I was able to defeat Artorias without a shield at 60 fps then clearly there are no synchronization issues. I haven't noticed any 60 fps hitbox problems or anything that would interfere with combat.

Considering the (very minor) glitches that you need to contend with, which are all easily prevented (and in the case of the bonfire glitch, there's even a patch), the benefits of a 60 fps experience outweighs them. Some people will still want 30 fps and that's fine, but telling people only to play 30 fps because of glitches is not good advice. It's kind of like telling people not to take their Caribbean vacation because there could be bad airplane food.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
2 months ago#44
gideond posted...
I wouldn't say 60 fps necessarily improves combat. I think that is all down to what you get use to. If you've played the whole game at 60 fps you will be use to combat at that frame rate. If you've been playing at 30 fps though and decide to go 60 it's going to take a while to adjust and combat will suffer for it. I found myself missing blocks and parries far too much until I got the flow down again, which took a few hours.

It gives you more frames to hit a button and better input timings. I was the opposite. I never got the hang of parries on ps3 and it was cake on my first try on pc at 60.

(@8:43)

https://youtu.be/JdeO6_Xq0Ok

gideond posted...
I think the game being designed to run at 30 fps is a valid argument though. Some of the combat in this game is scripted to time out according to the fps instead of real-time. So some actions complete before the character physically catches up to them. Basically it just throws it out of sync a bit. The game not being designed for 60 fps just means it doesn't effectively scale itself to the higher frame rate. Whether it's something to you are willing to live with it up to the player.

"As designed" is always a terrbile argument. Designs can improve.

I noticed smoother combat and easier movement. Things involving jumps were the only draw back I noticed. What actions were you talking about?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: BannanaBomb2002

BannanaBomb2002
2 months ago#45
DSfix is amazing.

User Info: Newuser

Newuser
2 months ago#46
DS1 PC has a reasonably active online, far more active than DS2 at least.
I'm going to ****ing rip your throat out if you wake me up again. And if you touch the poster, I'll slap you across the face with your own esophogus

User Info: gideond

gideond
2 months ago#47
Bleu_Skie posted...
I noticed smoother combat and easier movement. Things involving jumps were the only draw back I noticed. What actions were you talking about?

Primarily jumps attacks, especially off higher surfaces. Take the first boss in Undead Asylum. Playing vanilla I could jump attack off the ledge and hit for about half his health scale with no issues. At 60 FPS I could literally watch the character finish the hit in mid-air and then just bounce off the boss and instead doing no damage while taking massive fall damage. I saw this consistently with pretty much every enemy I tried to start a fight with this way. Ground combat was fairly normal once I just got use to the feel of the new timing. Very short jump attacks seem to work okay as well. But even medium range attacks had problems for me. Take broken bridge right before the cathedral where you could jump attack one of the two archers on the bridge below. Even that mid range attack always fails for me at 60 FPS. The actual attack always completes too early and I just bounce off the target. Works perfectly every time at 30 FPS.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: gideond

gideond
2 months ago#48
Death_Born posted...
gideond posted...

Where are you getting this from? If I was able to defeat Artorias without a shield at 60 fps then clearly there are no synchronization issues. I haven't noticed any 60 fps hitbox problems or anything that would interfere with combat.

Considering the (very minor) glitches that you need to contend with, which are all easily prevented (and in the case of the bonfire glitch, there's even a patch), the benefits of a 60 fps experience outweighs them. Some people will still want 30 fps and that's fine, but telling people only to play 30 fps because of glitches is not good advice. It's kind of like telling people not to take their Caribbean vacation because there could be bad airplane food.

It's mainly with mid and long range jump attacks. Ground combat is fairly normal from what I've seen. I never told anyone to play at only 30 FPS. I said it was a matter of preference. There are some issues to deal with at 60 FPS. It's up to the player whether they want to deal with them or not. None of them are huge, but you do have to remember to be careful in certain situations to avoid them.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
2 months ago#49
It's one of the best games ever made and it runs, by far and away, best on PC. What do you think?

As for the 60 fps issue, I've personally never noticed anything that I'd consider a crippling flaw to the general gameplay. You can go through the floor when sliding down ladders, jump attacks don't always work right, jump distance is shorter and the physics get (more) glitchy (than they already are) when it comes to things like stepping up ledges of a certain height or walking on slanted terrain. All these can be annoyances, but it's well and truly worth putting up with them to get a far smoother play experience if you ask me. The game feels so much better in 60 fps, even if you can get used to 30. And keep in mind you only really have to suffer the issues once, because once you know there's a problem you can simply switch to 30 fps for a moment and then go back to 60 once the troublesome section is done with. I usually do that on certain ladders, plunge attacks and when dealing with platforming sections.
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes

User Info: XDummyX

XDummyX
2 months ago#50
Its the best version.

Get dsfix and a controller. Optionally you may want wulfs connectivity mod and pvp watchdog.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Dark Souls 1 even worth playing on PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived