This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why pay for Early Access titles?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why pay for Early Access titles?

User Info: ThePandaForest

ThePandaForest
1 month ago#21
like every vr game i own is early access

no problems so far
Vega Frontier Edition | Titan X Pascal
C32HG70 HDR 144Hz 1ms | Vive VR

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#22
Depends how it's handled, and there's some grey areas for sure. ARK caught heat for releasing paid content while in Early Access even though the game was still incredibly bug-ridden. In that scenario, you'd hope the developers would be taking advantage of the EA platform and using the money to iron out the base game before considering making more bug-ridden content to charge people. But hey, AAA developers have done the exact same thing. And then you have PUBG, where the content isn't expanding the base game, or even adding anything weapons or useful items to the game, but is just cosmetic. Is that to be condemned as well? It's hard to say, it's still charging money for content before the bugs are worked out, but it's not really taking developer time away from fixing those bugs and it's completely optional.

Then you have games like Divinity Original Sin 2. Say what you will about how the game was funded, the actual Early Access period was widely considered a success. It was essentially a closed beta locked behind a preorder, and it consisted of 6 phases of getting feedback from players and that they took and made legitimate changes to how the game works. Not every EA title will have a multi-million dollar Kickstarter behind it though, so DOS2 definitely isn't the norm.

As with everything, EA isn't just one thing, and you can't really write off every single EA game because some do it wrong, and vice versa you can't buy into all of them just because some do it write.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
1 month ago#23
Boge posted...
2. The game as it sits is worth the asking price.

Bingo. Some games are more than worth it even if technically not fully released.
When nothing remains everything becomes possible.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#24
Orestes417 posted...
Boge posted...
2. The game as it sits is worth the asking price.

Bingo. Some games are more than worth it even if technically not fully released.

The opposite is also true - a full release may not be worth the price asked for it.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
1 month ago#25
Support devs before the game is out.
Some people like seeing the creation project and following a game through development.
Other like that you're buying into a game thats basically guaranteed free updates and DLC.
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
1 month ago#26
It's not uncommon for a price jump once a game leaves EA, so that's another reason.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#27
Synbios459 posted...
I think the whole idea of paying for what is in essence, an unfinished/incomplete/alpha/beta game seems crazy to me, especially considering how some ask you to pay upwards of $40-50 bucks.

Most developers do early access wrong. The only one to really get it right so far has been Notch with Minecraft. In alpha you paid $13ish and the price went up as more content was added until finally it was ready to be released for full price.

If you got in at the alpha level you got the full game for cheap and got to see how it developed and add some feedback. If you waited for the end result then you got a complete game but you paid more for it.

Everyone else treats Early Access as a preorder with beta, and if they start you off at a lower price, you're still paying more than you probably should for the amount of content but ultimately they're banking on that money to be able to finish the game.

STILL, if you don't like it, don't do it. Problem solved. Nobody forces you to pay for unfinished content. At the same time, don't be mad at people who DO want to help support a developer. It's not your money so why should you care?
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 month ago#28
When a game is finished and there's youtube videos of actual gameplay, and community feedback from people who have played the game - THAT'S when I start thinking about buying it.

Never before.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
1 month ago#29
I typically avoid doing it but if its a game I really want I will support it. Though usually after 6+ months after I see how devs handle updates.

You just have to go in knowing that there is a chance its going to end up vaporware and your money went no where.

Its happened 2X to me so far.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#30
ArkonBlade posted...
Though usually after 6+ months after I see how devs handle updates.

Yeah, some developers aren't really good at producing content at all. I think Early Access done right is great, but it's not always done right.
ArkonBlade posted...
You just have to go in knowing that there is a chance its going to end up vaporware

If you got something that you could play and it was fun, it wasn't vaporware. Vaporware is when someone promises something and it never materializes (hence the "vapor" part). Like Valve talking about HL2:Ep.3 "coming soon".... that was vaporware. They actually promised it was coming and it never materialized.

If you got something you could play and it wasn't fun, well now you can refund so it's no big deal.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why pay for Early Access titles?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived