This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

CCleaner 5.33 compromised

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CCleaner 5.33 compromised

User Info: Jair

Jair
2 months ago#1
https://www.piriform.com/news/blog/2017/9/18/security-notification-for-ccleaner-v5336162-and-ccleaner-cloud-v1073191-for-32-bit-windows-users

In summary, the 5.33 release for 32-bit Windows has a backdoor. It's been resolved, but if you use the free version, you have to update manually.

I'm not sure how widespread CCleaner is these days, but it was a commonly used and recommended application years ago. I was surprised to learn it's actually owned by Avast, the antivirus company. A bit embarrassing, to say the least.

User Info: Cryptarch

Cryptarch
2 months ago#2
I think I've updated a couple of weeks ago although I'm using Windows 10 64-bit. I should be fine but I'm considering of uninstalling CCleaner and find an other alternative.

User Info: Zaltera

Zaltera
2 months ago#3
Thanks for posting this.
Why is it that he can hit a 3rd baseman on a frozen rope from 300 feet away, but he can't hit a 12 foot tall catcher from 60 feet 6 inches away?
-Awesomeo_4000

User Info: Arnzillazor

Arnzillazor
2 months ago#4
Good to know. I use CCleaner regularly. Thank you.
"Necessity is the mother of invention."
i5-6500 | R9 390 | H170-D3HP | 16GB DDR4 | 250GB 850 EVO | HAF 912 | CX750M

User Info: betatech

betatech
2 months ago#5
I'm surprised they're not unlocking the auto-update for free, at least temporarily if they can remote activate it.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
2 months ago#6
Thanks for the heads up - much appreciated =)
Ryzen 1600X @4GHz | H90 | GTX 1080 @2GHz | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Acer Predator 28" 4K GSync Display
Playing: Splatoon 2 | Quake Champions

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
2 months ago#7
Thanks
-

User Info: Azezo

Azezo
2 months ago#8
betatech posted...
I'm surprised they're not unlocking the auto-update for free, at least temporarily if they can remote activate it.

Not sure if they can. I do use the pro version. But I've had to download a different installer for it? So Not sure if it's able to toggle free to pro or not.
Why did you bother to read this?

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
2 months ago#9
I use CCleaner on the reg. Thanks TC!
i7 7700K|EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition|Corsair Vengeance 16GB|960 EVO 1TB|850 EVO 1TB|840 EVO 500GB|EVGA G3 750w|NZXT H440|ASUS SWIFT PG278Q 27"

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
2 months ago#10
betatech posted...

I just ran my CCleaner and it asked me to install the update first thing, without manually checking.

Even though I wasn't using the affected version.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. CCleaner 5.33 compromised

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived