This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC keeps turning itself back on after I shut down

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC keeps turning itself back on after I shut down

User Info: daftpunk_mk5

daftpunk_mk5
1 month ago#1
Any ideas? It goes through the full shut down sequence, turns off, then turns back on after a few seconds. Of note, this only happened after I got a UPS, but it shut down fine for a few weeks before the problem came up.

Any ideas? thanks
Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
4 weeks ago#2
Call a priest.
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
4 weeks ago#3
I know there's an option for the PS3 that turns the system on if you turn on your TV (I hated it and it took a while to figure out why my PS3 kept turning itself back on). Is there something like that for PC?
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|2xSLI GTX 980ti Lightning LE|HAF 932|Samsung 50inch 4K|HTC Vive

User Info: dioxxys

dioxxys
4 weeks ago#4
Mine used to do this on sleep mode, but never shutdown

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#5
dioxxys posted...
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: BewmHedshot

BewmHedshot
4 weeks ago#6
Do you have Wake on LAN enabled? Something else on your network might be sending magic packets when it gets lonely.
Cavaliers: ONCE

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#7
dioxxys posted...

I think the deal here is that Windows 10 by default tries to use "hybrid sleep" so while he thinks he's got it shut down, it's really waking itself from sleep.

Check your power plan and make sure that you're not set to use sleep or hybrid sleep and see if that solves the problem. Also, you might want to tell it to not allow wake on mouse since that's usually what causes my computer to wake when I put it to sleep. I set it to sleep mode, and the mouse gets nudged one pixel and suddenly it's back up again.

To fix the mouse waking your computer up, you'll have to go to the device manager, find your mouse, look at properties, then power management, and then uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer".
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: Somato

Somato
4 weeks ago#8
Unplug it.

It can't turn itself back on if it has no power.....
ThePandaForest / Premature Tyrant is don_sf / DarKnight_sf

dioxxys
4 weeks ago#9
arleas posted...
dioxxys posted...

I think the deal here is that Windows 10 by default tries to use "hybrid sleep" so while he thinks he's got it shut down, it's really waking itself from sleep.

Check your power plan and make sure that you're not set to use sleep or hybrid sleep and see if that solves the problem. Also, you might want to tell it to not allow wake on mouse since that's usually what causes my computer to wake when I put it to sleep. I set it to sleep mode, and the mouse gets nudged one pixel and suddenly it's back up again.

To fix the mouse waking your computer up, you'll have to go to the device manager, find your mouse, look at properties, then power management, and then uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer".

Still relevant if Win8?

dioxxys
4 weeks ago#10
Somato posted...
Unplug it.

It can't turn itself back on if it has no power.....

Well I have no knowledge of these things, but I here the capacitors have to charge back up everytime you plug it back in.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC keeps turning itself back on after I shut down

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived