This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how would you rate skyrims exploration?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how would you rate skyrims exploration?

User Info: Hatsune_Miku

Hatsune_Miku
2 months ago#31
8/10. Personally not a fan of dungeons leveling with me. I'd rather have really bad difficulty spikes, but rewarding loot.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRHKHN

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#32
Hatsune_Miku posted...
8/10. Personally not a fan of dungeons leveling with me. I'd rather have really bad difficulty spikes, but rewarding loot.

Actually Skyrim dungeons have level ranges so they do not all level with you without limit.

It still happens though, and fighting bandits at high level with obnoxiously non-scaling magic comes to mind.

User Info: Cool_Dude667

Cool_Dude667
2 months ago#33
The caves are the worst, literally copy pasta and boring even god dam Oblivion had better exploration.
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi

User Info: tzuyd

tzuyd
2 months ago#34
0. Without challenge, exploration means nothing.
I sexually identify as a 100% inoffensively correct person. My pronouns are 'yes', 'uh huh' and 'absolutely'.

User Info: darkus_f

darkus_f
2 months ago#35
8/10 for me.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#36
Terantatek posted...
Morrowind 9/10
Skyrim 6/10

I'd give Skyrim a 8 but morrowind is dead on.

I like the fact that enemies don't level with you in morrowind. So every place you explore was a chance at death. Always made exploring a bit more interesting and fun.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
2 months ago#37
Hmm, interesting question. Literally the first two things that come to mind when it comes to Skyrim and overworld travel relate to how annoying the mountains are. Well, it's actually two aspects of the same thing - scaling slopes on foot has been changed a lot from previous titles.

The first thing that comes to mind is how I got stuck behind a rock while trying to climb and there was no way for way for my character to escape aside from using the console or loading a save. To put this into perspective, in Morrowind and Oblivion I had never encountered that. Sure, you could get stuck due to a variety of bugs but not in that exact situation - you can always finagle your way out of rocks - at worse, you could stand there for a long time hammering the jump button and levelling your acrobatics skill until you can leap over the obstacle but it's still a way to do it using the normal game mechanics. Morrowind even offers you a variety of spells to help out like the interventions or fly, in Oblivion those were gone, yet you still did have some options like feather or fortify strength (your jump height is scaled based on encumbrance). In Skyrim's case, though, I was totally stuck - no acrobatics to level, no spells to help, nothing. It is an experience that stands out for me.

The second thing is related - trying to cross mountains/hills/slopes on foot is quite challenging. Not because you will get stuck (not usually, at least) but just because you can't really do it. Horses help to an extent but in previous titles you could scale most things on foot. Sometimes you weren't able to but that happens rarely and often being able to jump higher solves that. Or in Morrowind just use the levitate spell effect. At any rate, the result is that slopes were a challenge but not an insurmountable one - if you wanted to go from point A to point B you could pretty much head straight and eventually get there without getting a lot detours. In Skyrim the landscape is actually intended to stop you from doing that, so you travel more. It's a design decision to make the world feel bigger. In Morrowind a similar thing was achieved by having a rather slow movement speed and limiting it further through the fatigue meter - you had to travel longer thus the world felt larger. However, being able to use shortcuts also felt a lot better and didn't destroy the illusion. In Skyrim I couldn't stop thinking about the slopes as invisible walls meant to keep you away from using alternative routes.

With that said, Skyrim wasn't bad - I did put a lot of time in it, so it's not like I was disgusted. These two things come to mind just because without them, I think the walking around would have felt a lot better. However, since that is a problem, I'd say Skyrim was a bit on the average side instead of trying to be truly great.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
2 months ago#38
Is there another game where you can read about a sword, track down its location, kill the skeleton of the champion that wielded it and take it for yourself? Things like that are why I still remember Skyrim.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
2 months ago#39
vlado_e posted...
The first thing that comes to mind is how I got stuck behind a rock while trying to climb and there was no way for way for my character to escape aside from using the console or loading a save. To put this into perspective, in Morrowind and Oblivion I had never encountered that. Sure, you could get stuck due to a variety of bugs but not in that exact situation - you can always finagle your way out of rocks - at worse, you could stand there for a long time hammering the jump button and levelling your acrobatics skill until you can leap over the obstacle but it's still a way to do it using the normal game mechanics. Morrowind even offers you a variety of spells to help out like the interventions or fly, in Oblivion those were gone, yet you still did have some options like feather or fortify strength (your jump height is scaled based on encumbrance). In Skyrim's case, though, I was totally stuck - no acrobatics to level, no spells to help, nothing. It is an experience that stands out for me.

I got stuck in rocks multiple times in Oblivion as well. It is a tiny minority of my play times that I encountered bugs but that is indeed aggravating.

I will take that over invisible wall abuse though.

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
2 months ago#40
gwizzler posted...
Is there another game where you can read about a sword, track down its location, kill the skeleton of the champion that wielded it and take it for yourself? Things like that are why I still remember Skyrim.

Kinda, in witcher 3 you read about witcher gear and go to the place (usually guarded by strong enemies), have a fight, sometimes a puzzle and get materials and schematics to craft/enhance them.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how would you rate skyrims exploration?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived