This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When do you think DirectX 12 will become mainstream?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When do you think DirectX 12 will become mainstream?

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#1
Any titles that REQUIRE DX12 to run yet?
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
2 months ago#2
that "REQUIRE", won't be for many years.

that have "DX12" compatibility, pretty much all new AAA games.

Being able to cover as many platforms as possible is the goal of every developer to make as many sales targets as possible.

So the sooner the install base for older DX's shrinks to sub 5% numbers in the gaming world, the sooner we can retire it.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#3
Honestly i think never.

Vulcan has better odds. So far dx12 performs worse than 11. That pretty much killed it.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

zhenghan
2 months ago#4
SinisterSlay posted...
Honestly i think never.

Vulcan has better odds. So far dx12 performs worse than 11. That pretty much killed it.

How can DX12 perform worse than DX11 with all of the supposed optimizations?
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#5
zhenghan posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Honestly i think never.

How can DX12 perform worse than DX11 with all of the supposed optimizations?

Three theories.
1, developers don't understand them.
2, video cards can't run them
3, Windows store api is so unoptimized that it cripples any gains for dx12
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

zhenghan
2 months ago#6
so DX12 is dead on arrival then?

SinisterSlay
2 months ago#7
zhenghan posted...
so DX12 is dead on arrival then?

Well it's already been given a longer run than dx10 got.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
2 months ago#8
The problem is that DX12 is more difficult and expensive to support, and only studios like Dice currently has an incentive to support it because their games are so demanding (only one coming to mind atm).

The PC's saving grace is that the consoles are too weak to expose DX11's weakness to a fatal degree when PC hardware is so much more powerful.

It wouldn't be surprising if Microsoft releases DX13 and alleviates some of the most difficult changes in DX12, while still supporting all DX12 compatible hardware.

Biggest reason I want to try the Battlefront 2 beta is to see if Dice has improved the DX12 path.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

zhenghan
2 months ago#9
godplaysSNES posted...
The problem is that DX12 is more difficult and expensive to support, and only studios like Dice currently has an incentive to support it because their games are so demanding (only one coming to mind atm).

The PC's saving grace is that the consoles are too weak to expose DX11's weakness to a fatal degree when PC hardware is so much more powerful.

It wouldn't be surprising if Microsoft releases DX13 and alleviates some of the most difficult changes in DX12, while still supporting all DX12 compatible hardware.

Biggest reason I want to try the Battlefront 2 beta is to see if Dice has improved the DX12 path.

I'm pretty sure consoles are the ones that needs the optimizations the most since the Jaguar CPU sucks basically as much as my CPU lolz.

User Info: Viper187666

Viper187666
2 months ago#10
f*** DX12. I hope devs keep ignoring it and supporting Vulcan. Gamers shouldn't be at Microsoft's mercy anymore. Did we learn nothing from "Vista Only" games? There's no compelling reason that we should be forced to keep upgrading windows versions or stay with windows in general. Vulkan is multi-platform and independent of microsoft, as it should be.
Xbox One dis-Kinected 6/9/14. Let that be a lesson to people. Vote with your wallet.
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/xbox01092016.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When do you think DirectX 12 will become mainstream?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived