This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When do you think DirectX 12 will become mainstream?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When do you think DirectX 12 will become mainstream?

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#31
I sincerely doubt that "DirectX 12" will ever become "mainstream."

Firstly, Microsoft doesn't have enough control over the OS market. I'm not referring to people using a Mac or Linux OS nearly so much as I'm referring to people who are using Windows but not Windows 10. People like me. Until Microsoft can force us to use Windows 10 or forgo Windows altogether there simply won't be a large enough base of consumers for DirectX 12 to become "mainstream" in terms of developer support.

Secondly, current adoption rates for both DirectX 12 and Windows 10 are quite reminiscient of, if better than, DirectX 10 and Vista. They might be doing better, but they aren't doing nearly so well as they could compared to XP/DX9 or 7/DX11. Despite Microsoft's claims that Windows 10 would be the "last" Windows OS it's probably safe to say that we'll see Windows 10.1 or whatever and DirectX 13 before DirectX 11 gets supplanted as the mainstream DirectX API.

Having said all that, I quite frankly don't really care. I'm using Windows 7 and have no intention of switching to Windows 10 until Microsoft makes it more user-friendly, at least insofar as my usage of it is concerned. I've zero intention of using an OS that actively fights against me so pondering DirectX 12's dismal chance at achieving primacy of any sort is purely a matter of mental mast... ication.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When do you think DirectX 12 will become mainstream?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived