This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fallout New Vegas UE: Mod question!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Fallout New Vegas UE: Mod question!

User Info: KoRnKoB

KoRnKoB
4 weeks ago#1
Hey all, I just recently purchased Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition from Humble Bundle and have never played it on the PC before. In the past attempts I had at playing this, I got a bit tired of the bugs, glitching, and admittedly a bit bored of things... Thing is, I was playing on the PS3, and the save files on there could get stupid buggy mid-late game.

I'd like to look at some mods for the game and see what interests me. I don't have a beast machine, so graphic enhancements aren't priority... More like tweaks, additions, and maybe some texture/model improvements. Definitely stuff that adds immersion! (Yes, I had the texture mod on Morrowind PC years ago that added nudity and improved the faces. Felt weird leaving all your dead foes lying about in their underwear!)

Modding is something I have minimal experience with. I used to play with some mods on Morrowind years back, but the process seems much more complex now. There seems to be a lot of different programs for load orders and finding the mods... I hear about issues between Steam and GoG versions of the game too. Mine is Steam, so not sure if that helps make it easier?

Sorry if this is a silly post. The New Vegas board is kinda dead... Same as Mount and Blade, another game I purchased and want to mod. This one seems just a bit less complex though. Will make a topic if I need help there too!
PSN: PrincePAUL87 | http://www.backloggery.com/princepaul87
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/princepaul87

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
4 weeks ago#2
What's the question exactly?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hP6BCy
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: cory1225

cory1225
4 weeks ago#3
the new vegas nexus has a application that will install mods for you with a click of a button

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36901/?
i5 6600k | GTX 1080 | 16Gb

User Info: kblaze13

kblaze13
4 weeks ago#4
as cory said Nexusmods has a program for easy installation of mods, and a genrous amount of mods as well, most of the mods there also have a description not just what they do but what they are compatible with or require to work right.

Hell if the mod creator has flagged it properly the site will even warn you about potential mods you need to download to make the mod work when you attempt to download them.
Iightningz posted...
I hate Lightning.

KoRnKoB
4 weeks ago#5
Thanks. I will check that out then. I'm assuming it is the Nexus Mod Manager? I've heard a few things against this but it may have been for Skyrim or Oblivion (which I hear is notoriously hard to mod and keep stable).

Any personal experience in mods that give you nicer textures and variety without being too resource hungry? How necessary are the 4GB mod and the script extender?

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
4 weeks ago#6
KoRnKoB posted...
Thanks. I will check that out then. I'm assuming it is the Nexus Mod Manager? I've heard a few things against this but it may have been for Skyrim or Oblivion (which I hear is notoriously hard to mod and keep stable).

Any personal experience in mods that give you nicer textures and variety without being too resource hungry? How necessary are the 4GB mod and the script extender?

Script extender is a must for ~80% of the mods, 4GB should give you some stability and allow more mods. For visual stuff I'd recommend nevada skies, haven't tried other texture mods.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 weeks ago#7
KoRnKoB posted...

Firstly, yeah, Nexus Mod Manager. I believe that it's generally considered okay for Fallout 4 and Skyrim and "iffy" for older games, especially compared to other programs like Wrye, Mod Organizer, and the Fallout/Oblivion-specific programs.

Secondly, you're talking about Bethesda games. For many players they're hard to run without mods and keep stable. Running them with mods while retaining stability can be its own special brand of hell depending on the mods and your system.

Mind you that I've had more stability issues out of Bethesda's games in and of themselves with mods, but other users haven't been nearly so lucky as I am. Having said that, however, I've noticed the odd things here and there such as mixing mods like OblivionXP and something like (IIRC) Oblivion Stutter Remover cutting frame rates in half or worse for no apparent reason and some combination of mods causing Skyrim to crash excessively in the area around Helgen.

KoRnKoB posted...
I used to play with some mods on Morrowind years back, but the process seems much more complex now. There seems to be a lot of different programs for load orders and finding the mods... I hear about issues between Steam and GoG versions of the game too. Mine is Steam, so not sure if that helps make it easier?

Modding is, if anything, easier now than it has been thanks to the number of useful tools such as Mod Organizer, Wrye, Nexus/Oblivion/Fallout Mod Manager, and similar programs for installing and updating your mods and LOOT/BOSS for organizing mods to help cut down on loading order issues once they're installed.

KoRnKoB posted...
I hear about issues between Steam and GoG versions of the game too. Mine is Steam, so not sure if that helps make it easier?

Using the Steam version of Fallout New Vegas shouldn't create any appreciable problems other than it occasionally not realizing that it's been installed and needing to be (re-)run through the Steam UI.

Fallout 3 and Oblivion are different matters, however, as IIRC the GoG version of Fallout 3 doesn't retain Games for Windows Live while the Steam version does still have it mucking things up, and you can't run the Steam version of Oblivion through the script extender executable as you can with Fallouts 3, 4, and New Vegas and Skyrim. Instead you have to launch Steam to launch the Oblivion launcher to launch the game itself and hope that OBSE hooks in as it should.

ablerider posted...
Script extender is a must for ~80% of the mods, 4GB should give you some stability and allow more mods.

The New Vegas Script Extender can definitely be a damn useful tool to have, but based on what I recall from Oblivion and Skyrim and what I've seen out of Fallout 4 it'd be a bit of a shock for even 10% of the mods you use to require it. Likewise the Large Address Awareness (4GB) patches can be useful if you extensively mod Fallouts 3 and New Vegas, and were useful for Skyrim before Bethesda baked it into the game, but I'm not sure how useful they'd be for just light to moderate modding with a new user.

One thing I will suggest is looking into a .dll file that's supposed to help with some of the "stuttering" many players have experienced. Dunno if it's still useful/needed, but in my own case it actually didn't do anything appreciable for New Vegas. It did, however, help with some stuttering issues in Fallout 3 hence my suggesting it as I've seen it work, just not for me with the game it's advertised for.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

KoRnKoB
4 weeks ago#8
Yup I'm looking at that Stutter Remover mod right now. I get the odd stutter when it seems to load a new cell or something, which doesn't seem like too much an issue... If it IS a new cell causing it.

I'm a bit unsure what the first things I download should be... I see an unofficial patch, as well as the stutter remover and then there is that texture pack. I was thinking these 3 may be a good start? Should I go patch>stutter remover>textures?

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
4 weeks ago#9
I don't really see a reason to not install the SE for this game in specific. The 4GB patch can be ignored if you won't install many mods... but come on, once you get the hang of it you'll install all kind of mods.

I wouldn't recommend the stutter remover unless you experience issues in-game, mine runs fine without it on W8 and l have 19 mods that go from companions to new quests. And about that other patch you mention l don't really know but l guess you can play and see if you actually need to patch whatever it patches.

User Info: mastergamer0001

mastergamer0001
4 weeks ago#10
I'd recommend this, along with the script extender: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/59133/?

Chances are at some point you'll encounter a glitch that needs a console command to fix or bypass, and that mod makes it so achievements aren't disabled when you open the console. Otherwise you'd need to quit back to the desktop to re-enable them.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Fallout New Vegas UE: Mod question!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived