This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do I absolutely need 4 physical cores?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I absolutely need 4 physical cores?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#1
I wanna get a Gaming PC, and I was considering a Core i3 over the i5 or Ryzen 3 for its superior single-threaded performance, but heard something about some games not even launching if you don't have at least 4 cores. I know the i3 has Hyper-threading, give it 4 threads, will that allow these games to work?

Gaming and emulation are going to be the most strenuous things I'm gonna use it for. If I ever decide to try VR in the future, will the i3 hold me back?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: jimm120

jimm120
4 weeks ago#2
If you're gonna go the cheaper route, then just go Ryzen. Core i3 is supremely outdated.
Perhaps a one sided CTF in Overwatch? 1 team captures the "flag" X times. Then flip roles
5820k @3.3hgz // 16gb ddr4 3000 // Radeon 390x 8gb DEVIL

User Info: TimeCapsule

TimeCapsule
4 weeks ago#3
With the newer cpu intensive AAA games yes you need 4 physical cores, I had an i3 in my build and it was bottlenecking me in RotTR but older games you don't need 4 cores. But I would still get a Ryzen 5 or i5 just to be more future proof.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#4
i5 has been a poor value for a while now. i3 offers very competitive performance at close to half the price, and i7 offers a significant boost in more heavily threaded workloads and minimum frame times for 50% more.
That said, consider going for Ryzen 5. The 6-core variants are a great deal.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
(message deleted)

User Info: Alaph0000

Alaph0000
4 weeks ago#6
That is up to you OP

Remember it is considering a standard among of Intel peasants gamers delivering 300 euro for a new (good quality)motherboard by merely CPU upgrade just cause single feature. Exclude peripherals easily 200 euro+ for a good usb. Each year ofcourse.

User Info: SgtSilock

SgtSilock
4 weeks ago#7
TimeCapsule posted...
With the newer cpu intensive AAA games yes you need 4 physical cores, I had an i3 in my build and it was bottlenecking me in RotTR but older games you don't need 4 cores. But I would still get a Ryzen 5 or i5 just to be more future proof.

ROTTB is a really tough game to run, even on my i5 4.6 with a 980ti I was seeing below 60 frames at times.
You have to give to receive

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
4 weeks ago#8
You don't absolutely need them, but there's no reason not to get a Ryzen 3 at this point. Dual cores are currently totally passe for gaming, so avoid the i3.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 weeks ago#9
Either go Ryzen or wait for Coffee Lake, which is only two weeks away
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 weeks ago#10
HeliosMagi posted...
I wanna get a Gaming PC, and I was considering a Core i3 over the i5 or Ryzen 3 for its superior single-threaded performance, but heard something about some games not even launching if you don't have at least 4 cores. I know the i3 has Hyper-threading, give it 4 threads, will that allow these games to work?

Gaming and emulation are going to be the most strenuous things I'm gonna use it for. If I ever decide to try VR in the future, will the i3 hold me back?

No and no

Get the Ryzen 1500x
Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper White W10 64bit GA990FXAUD3 FX 8320 Vishera 8-Core Core 4.0 GHz 1000watt Rosewell PSU 32GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do I absolutely need 4 physical cores?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived