This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bill Gates only regret - Ctrl-alt-del should have been 1 button

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bill Gates only regret - Ctrl-alt-del should have been 1 button

User Info: FantasticGabe

FantasticGabe
4 weeks ago#21
AnatomyHorror posted...
ctrl-shift-esc

Right. Who even uses ctrl+alt+del anymore?
Gabe: Reality has exiled you, you are no longer bound by its laws. - HoboSpartan
Formerly known as IBKNAWTU.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
4 weeks ago#22
FantasticGabe posted...
AnatomyHorror posted...
ctrl-shift-esc

Its still useful in bringing up the task manager when some game or app is frozen and/or taking forever to respond. I guess Alt+F4 also works there usually but that won't always be the case.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Regil, Shion, Blaze

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#23
Monopoman posted...
FantasticGabe posted...
AnatomyHorror posted...
ctrl-shift-esc

Its still useful in bringing up the task manager when some game or app is frozen and/or taking forever to respond. I guess Alt+F4 also works there usually but that won't always be the case.

Ctrl+Shift+Esc brings up the task manager. Ctrl+Alt+Del used to do that in previous versions of Windows but nowadays it brings you a selection of things to do - one of them is the launching the task manager.

arleas posted...
If they had to make it one button then there'd have to be some kind of "are you sure?" prompt and even then it would be a huge pain in the ass. I already have had trouble with bumping the windows key (which can take you right out of a fullscreen game in one keystroke) so no thanks Bill.

There already are keyboards that have Sleep, Shutdown and Reset as buttons. And yeah, it's super annoying when you hit them by accident, no matter how they are placed to avoid doing that.

arleas posted...
Really though, I suspect his motivation for saying "I would make it a single button press" is because he didn't really have any regrets; he just needed some kind of "fluff" to tell the interviewer so they would go away satisfied.

I suspect as much. I don't really care for the interview but the saying "Bill Gates regrets Ctrl+Alt+Del is not a single buttons" has literally been a joke for decades now. Well, there are many, many jokes about him and Ctrl+Alt+Del in many variations but the one button one is among them.

He does seem like a guy with a sense of humour, so I won't be surprised if he was referring to that.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
4 weeks ago#24
Yeah Ctrl+Shift+Esc may do that but Ctrl+Alt+Del has been hammered into my brain so much I still use it even if all I need is the task manager.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Regil, Shion, Blaze

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#25
You know what I recently found that I like? Windows key + X
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: analogman

analogman
4 weeks ago#26
macro master race.
i5-4690k 4.2GHz | Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400MHz | HD7950 3GB 960/1250MHz@975mV | Maximus Impact VI | 250GB 840 Evo + 1TB | 700W | 380T Yellow

User Info: Metalfan49

Metalfan49
4 weeks ago#27
He was referring to having a single key press to perform a secure login. IBM didn't provide said key, so Microsoft hijacked the existing Ctrl+alt+del for login.
Love,
metalfan49

User Info: Bossdog421

Bossdog421
4 weeks ago#28
Monopoman posted...
Yeah Ctrl+Shift+Esc may do that but Ctrl+Alt+Del has been hammered into my brain so much I still use it even if all I need is the task manager.

This
Theres a little place where the sun sleeps late. Pours himself a shot of tequila.
Its a little place called Pleasure Island. Thats where Id like to feel ya.

User Info: yars

yars
4 weeks ago#29
it's not like at any point in the last thirty years they could have just changed it to one button...
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.

User Info: Andreas2402

Andreas2402
4 weeks ago#30
no.
the windows button should be 2 or 3 buttons too btw.
The bigger the lie, the more they believe
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bill Gates only regret - Ctrl-alt-del should have been 1 button

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived