This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bill Gates only regret - Ctrl-alt-del should have been 1 button

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bill Gates only regret - Ctrl-alt-del should have been 1 button

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#31
Metalfan49 posted...
He was referring to having a single key press to perform a secure login. IBM didn't provide said key, so Microsoft hijacked the existing Ctrl+alt+del for login.

That definitely makes more sense. For its current use, the 3 key method is better since It's unlikely to be triggered by accident. For a special use on boot up though, I can see how you might prefer one key.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: MyDogSkip

MyDogSkip
4 weeks ago#32
I wish my only regret was something that pointless.
i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | GTX 980 Ti | 500GB 960 EVO

User Info: myztikrice

myztikrice
4 weeks ago#33
arleas posted...
It doesn't matter where you move the button, you're going to bump it in an inconvenient time sooner or later. It would also be so for the "one button reboot", only more inconvenient.

I have never bumped into the F4 key or tilde or Num Lock. You must have the hands of a giant or don't know what a keyboard is
"Why are you always smiling?"
"'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical."

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#34
myztikrice posted...
arleas posted...
It doesn't matter where you move the button, you're going to bump it in an inconvenient time sooner or later. It would also be so for the "one button reboot", only more inconvenient.

I have never bumped into the F4 key or tilde or Num Lock. You must have the hands of a giant or don't know what a keyboard is

So you haven't played games where you have the F keys as active stuff as well as Alt, I guess. It was quite a problem in Diablo 2 - you hold Alt to highlight items on the ground and you use the F1-F12 to choose your active skills. You could very easily be trying to look at items and trying to switch to your fourth hotkeyed skill. It was especially aggravating since Alt+F4 would immediately quite out of D2 without requiring any confirmation.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
4 weeks ago#35
Not as bad as what Steve Jobs regrets:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8841347/Steve-Jobs-regretted-trying-to-beat-cancer-with-alternative-medicine-for-so-long.html
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
(message deleted)

User Info: AbstraktProfSC2

AbstraktProfSC2
4 weeks ago#37
Rud3Bwoy posted...
DerPancake posted...
Bossdog421 posted...
wildog2006 posted...
As long as you can press the key combo with one hand, who cares how many buttons it is.

I bet most people 2 hand it

Wow, I didnt realize I had an alt and ctrl on my right side.

lmao same

Ha I had to search for it. I was confused
Talk about backseat fishing.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#38
myztikrice posted...

I can say I've never bumped into the F4 key Tilde or num lock because nothing of any great importance is on those keys (normally) and so if I HAVE bumped into it, I haven't noticed it.

I don't often bump the windows key, but it has happened enough to be annoying to me. It happens more in games where I am required to use keys near the windows key. It happens less (or not at all) when my hands are elsewhere.

Also when I have to choose my own key macros, I often use scroll lock, Pause/break, insert, home, end, page up, and page down because those aren't used very often (or not used at all) and I'm unlikely to hit it by accident. EVEN STILL I use a two key combination to be sure.

You can be upset at the thought of my giant hands all you like. All I was saying was that I don't like having important keystrokes on a single button for those occasions when you might accidentally hit it. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
FC: 3325-5440-8407 Dream Code:5E00-0013-7C61

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
4 weeks ago#39
CTRL+ALT+DEL is fine the way it is.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
4 weeks ago#40
Windows default background image should've been a list of keyboard commands. World would be smarterz.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Bill Gates only regret - Ctrl-alt-del should have been 1 button

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived